Dosbox For Gp2x Available

gaterooze posted on Feb 18 2006 at 01:30 AM said:
bjimba said:
DaveC said:
Blockout huh?  You do know that there is a good version of this game running full speed on the Lynx emu right?

I didn't know that. A good thing, too, as I might never have had the motivation to do the port.

It's also on Megadrive (DrMD) and I believe Atari ST (OutcaST).

But I'm glad you weren't aware of that :D

And Mame too.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
TKF15H posted on Feb 17 2006 at 09:38 PM said:
Just tried this, I get a black screen and a crash. :(

Ooh. Sorry to hear that. If you give me some information as to what you tried, I can try to help. Were you trying the Blockout sample, or something else? If the Blockout sample, where did you get Blockout from?

Tried OneMustFall, then I edited the autoexec figuring I'd end up in a command prompt if it didn't run the game. Either way, it just dies. Is it supposed to show anything before it executes the actual game?
Did I do something silly? >_<

TKF15H posted on Feb 17 2006 at 11:10 PM said:
Tried OneMustFall, then I edited the autoexec figuring I'd end up in a command prompt if it didn't run the game. Either way, it just dies. Is it supposed to show anything before it executes the actual game?
Did I do something silly? >_<

No, that's exactly what you're supposed to do. If I can get hold of a copy of it, I'll give it a try here. It's a bit easier to debug when I can get a bash shell running at the same time (thanks to gfoot).

I expect the initial stabs at getting various DOS games working will be, erm, a bit rocky. So far, I've only tried two on the GP2X -- Blockout and Popcorn (a French public domain Arkanoid clone). But I've pulled out all my old 5-1/4 floppies to see what other tidbits I can find. I really want to see if I can get an interpreted GWBASIC/BASICA game to work. (You thought I was kidding in the Topic Title about DONKEY.BAS? Think again...)

rather than dig through floppies, check the-underdogs.org, they have a BIG collection of old stuff. OneMustFall may be too heavy on DOSBox for now, but it was the only DOS game I had in reach. Should have tried something older... pacman?

Ravnos posted on Feb 17 2006 at 11:52 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Feb 17 2006 at 03:45 PM said:
ruffnutts posted on Feb 17 2006 at 11:43 PM said:
what kind of dos games can be played on DosBox
keen, pinball dreams, outrun, pushover, incredeble machine.... etc etc, I think almost all dos games, atleast every game i tried worked (on my pc).
You have to keep in mind that this isn't a PC, and that (as I understand it) Dosbox requires a fair bit of power to run at a decent speed. Later DOS games might be a bit much for the 2X. That's what we're all wondering, is which DOS games will be playable on the 2X.
I am not stupid you know...
thats why I wanted people to try keen, or pinball dreams, to see if it is possible.

I couldn't even get blockout to work. I don't know what I was doing wrong, I just saw a blackscreen.

Rather randomly it worked a second ago, but now it isn't working again.

Edit: Does it overclock?

Hey, blockout works nicely! Magicland Dizzy freezes because it always starts in EGA (CGA not supported there) and so does every other game (because they are all EGA or VGA ;))
Do you plan to include EGA or even VGA support?

EDIT: Managed to get Paratrooper working, although its really slow. But it works, even with PC Speaker sound :)

EDIT2: Awesome! I am playing Commander Keen in VGA!! :) And Prehistorik is almost playable in VGA without sound.

i tried it (did everything you wrote in the readme and the only thing I got was the screen fading black, before I came into the menu again.

FW 1.2.1 and NAND-readonly-patch, if that helps.

mots posted on Feb 18 2006 at 03:00 PM said:
i tried it (did everything you wrote in the readme and the only thing I got was the screen fading black, before I came into the menu again.

You have to modify all the paths in the .conf and .qpe files. If you are trying blockout without any modification, the dosbox folder has to be in the ROOT.

WhiteFalcon posted on Feb 18 2006 at 02:04 PM said:
mots posted on Feb 18 2006 at 03:00 PM said:

You have to modify all the paths in the .conf and .qpe files. If you are trying blockout without any modification, the dosbox folder has to be in the ROOT.
thanks, didn't see that :D

WhiteFalcon posted on Feb 18 2006 at 01:20 PM said:
Hey, blockout works nicely! Magicland Dizzy freezes because it always starts in EGA (CGA not supported there) and so does every other game (because they are all EGA or VGA ;))
Do you plan to include EGA or even VGA support?

EDIT: Managed to get Paratrooper working, although its really slow. But it works, even with PC Speaker sound :)

EDIT2: Awesome! I am playing Commander Keen in VGA!! :) And Prehistorik is almost playable in VGA without sound.
commander keen, YEEEY :)
is it full speed?

WhiteFalcon posted on Feb 18 2006 at 02:59 PM said:
Of course not, even CGA games are pretty slow and VGA games are slower. But its sort of playable.
And no sound. ; )

Back