Possible Wifi Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkshake

Advanced Member
Ok after talking part in the minitube topic people have noticed / discovered there could be a WiFi issue, its not completely related with mini tube but thats where people have started to cotton on to the possible issue.

I have taken a sample of posts which show what seems to be happening if there are more please add your experience/test results below.

mcobit said:
Ok, tested it myself now, that i am at home. I'm sitting in front of my router here and get no fluid playback.
It seems like the initial few mb or kb get streamed fast, then the transfer is slowed down.

I hope wifi will get faster in the future. Come on guys, ipod-touch 2g can do youtube over wifi. The pandora shoud be able to do it too.

Defo said:
WizardStan said:
Of course, the best way to compare speed would be a raw tcp dump. Easy enough to do on the Pandora, don't think it's possible on the iPod, so we'll have to stick with as close a comparison as we can get: web page load times.
Just did a wget of the same file on a local server on both my Pandora and my first gen iPod touch-
ftlxzp.jpg

Average of 295KB/s on the Pandora and 604KB/s on the iPod.

Alerino said:
i got it here, no stuttering (but i paused it for 30 seconds or so at the beginning),
6 Mbps plan

wget'ting the same file from provider :

average
PC: 439 KB/s
Pandora: 268kB/s

edit: after 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off'
Pandora average: 313 KB/s

edit 2: downloading Pingus from Angstrom repo
Pandora average: 152 KB/s

edit 3: youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rylOfO_j9Nc
average: 50 KB/s

GizmoTheGreen said:
i dont know how it looks on the iphone

bu the pandoras wifi is connected via sdio... which imho isnt ideal, since the wii also suffers from this.

the wii is limited in speed also. check the wii linux projects wiki page for more info on why.

i dont know how the channels are hardwarewise. if its like one sata port per hdd or if its like and ide port. shared bus. if it is, dling from wifi to sd card would more than half the bandwidth

Hopefully someone will investigate this issue and help to iron it out. (assuming its a software fix..please please let it be software).
maybe its just how fast the data can be written to the nand/memory card that is bottlenecking the data speeds. who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
what data sample? you did not post anything on the minitube topic? and that's where all my samples were from??

by all means post your sample here the more the merrier if your sample indicates no issues then surly that's better right? but the above sampled posts indicate a problem which cant be ignored.

oh also could this topic be sticky'd? until a solution or answer turns up?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54863-pandora-batch-2-will-wifi-be-more-stable/page__view__findpost__p__884306

so many whiny threads at the moment, it's hard to work out which one to post on...

Just to provide a positive case I am downstairs and both of my Pandoras are able to maintain a stable 480 KB/s connection to my router upstairs.. I find that acceptable, considering anything faster would be a massive power draw.

One thing I have gotten into the habit of doing (since it works for me) is pinging my Pandora from another system with a period/interval of 3 seconds or so, continuously. This keeps the Pandora from tearing down the connection prematurely during other sessions, for some reason ..
or maybe the regular use resets my dodgy, too-short, DHCP release interval on the router, is also a possibility ..

I don't think it's a good idea to sticky this thread. If at all it should contain instructions for a standardized reproducible wifi test. We had a thread a while ago, maybe it's best to revive that one instead, as it already contains some results.

edit:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54340-post-your-speed-over-wifi/page__p__874088__hl__wifi%20speed__fromsearch__1&#entry874088

Just throwing this observation in here:

Alerino said:
i think that "long distance" downloads suffers more
wgetting a 30mb file from my isp (few miles away) was averaging 300 KB/s, unstable, 50, 100, 400, 200, 250, 80, 420...

This, as crazy as it sounds, can happen. It's related to the speed of light and time outs.

Could it be the driver is timing out on something (a response?) FAR too early?

I do not own a Pandora yet, still waiting for mine.

However, for those that are running in to this problem could we get a pcap of the file transfer from either or both the server and Pandora? Wireshark, http://www.wireshark.org/, can be used. I am curious at what network layer(s) are we having the issue. I've done quite a bit of network protocol debugging and would like to help if I could get a hold of the pcap.

There was a post your wifi speeds thread.

My numbers are here.

well i just did a wget test posted in another wifi thread.

milkshake said:
ok I run the test used the HFS on my windows 7 pc to host a par2 file which was 50mb it started off quite high but slowly decreased, my pc is connected via 100mb lan cable to the router the pandora is connected to the router using wifi so you would expect quite high speeds but anyway here are my results are they good or bad?

Code:
100%[=======================================>]50,780,276   196k/s   in 4m 17s
2010-06-30 21:24:56 (193 KB/s) - 'test.par2' saved [50780276/50780276]

so dunno if thats good or not?

I think it's best to stay in the old thread now, it gets too confusing when people are cross posting all the time. I'll close this one for now.
If you are not content milkshake, just send a PM and I reopen it.

Post your speed over Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back