Pandora Batch 2: Will Wifi Be More Stable?

WizardStan said:
doublebeta said:
Bosbeetle said:
havent had problems with the wifi (yet)
Yes, the problem was mainly speed after the software fix(IIRC), tho i believe it does drop a lot of wifi packets(or something else, frames mebe), which would cause problems on a D-Link router like mine, it shts a brick after a few dropped frames..
I did hear about the piggyback resistor 'fix', but I was pretty sure it was a temporary fix. And with the speed a reviewer said, which is fine for web browsing, isn't really great if you were streaming. i've forgotten the speed he said tho, and where the post is located. Maybe he just got an 'unlucky' pandora.
There was no software fix, it was entirely hardware. the piggybacked resistor was only applied to the first 800 (or so) that had already been populated. All remaining ones get the correct resistor to match the impedance put onto them from the start. It was the incorrect resistor value that was causing the dropped packets and subsequent slowdowns.
Most users seem to be getting a pretty stable 500-900KB. The chip itself may only be capable of reaching about 900KB/s: it is the same as in the N900 (I think. One of the Nokias at least. If it matters I'll look up to be absolutely certain) which has a reported max speed of 900KB/s
900KB/s is well more than enough to stream HD video in real time. Even half of that should be able to handle all but the highest bit rates.
There do seem to be a few users stuck at about 50-150KB/s for some reason, however. I haven't got a Pandora, but limited testing that I've been able to ask those with them to do suggests that it isn't a hardware fault: there's no dropped packets or anything, it is just slow. This could be a software thing, or it may be a result of some incompatibility with the router.

I don't know if I have a unit with the resistorfix, and I have a FritzBox router which never had problems.
I am stuck with about 150 kb/s on multiple hotspots. Even when I use the Downthemall Plugin in Firefox I get a big peak and then back to 150 max. 200 kb/s.
I wouldn't be so frustrated, when some people wouldn't get 500 to 600 kb/s.

Could somebody with a fast wifi pandora try to use minitube and if it works without stuttering report back?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a 43MB file via wget on a local server over wireless (server is wired to router, router has wireless) on my N900, average rate was 982.32K/s. Phone was about 2 metres from router so just a throughput test.

tsh said:
50MB test file from ThinkBroadband - 2min 2 sec, using chromium. Seems 'good enough'.
It takes me about that amount of time for a 5 mb file, sometimes longer. I'm guessing that my Pandora will be just as fast as any of my other computers. That's the worst problem with rural Kentucky. (Edit: Other than the high concentration of meth addicts. Ugh.)

WizardStan said:
Most users seem to be getting a pretty stable 500-900KB.

This is definitely not the impression I'm getting. ~100KB/s (with a lot of hiccups, bad for gaming) and flaky connection seems to be the norm, these high transfer rates seem to be the exception. Maybe we need a more concrete poll.

When I use wifi sending/receiving nominally 1 packet per 60Hz CPU usage also goes up a lot (from 20-30 to 40-50%), don't know what it's spending all that time on.

Exophase said:
This is definitely not the impression I'm getting. ~100KB/s (with a lot of hiccups, bad for gaming) and flaky connection seems to be the norm, these high transfer rates seem to be the exception. Maybe we need a more concrete poll.
You're probably right. I just can't help but be optimistic :(

WizardStan said:
Exophase said:
You're probably right. I just can't help but be optimistic :(

I've just got a max of 49KB/s with that thinkbroadband 50mb file. I'm right next to the router - linksys wrt54gs - 20megabit connection and get a constant 19.60megabits with my pc in the next room.

I have set up another wifi thread relating to this, doh! probably shouldn't have but have a read.

link

im having the same issue, all downloads start off really quickly then taper off to about 40-60kbps :( my iphone is so much faster than this what could it be?

Someone should graph the distribution of maximum throughputs. Since the fix was manual there's the possibility that some resistors were soldered better than others. If that's the problem then resoldering would fix it, although I certainly wouldn't attempt it personally...

Ollonk said:
That's the worst problem with rural Kentucky.
Well, that's much faster than what I remember! No cable line and lousy phone lines that didn't support even 56K meant I rarely even saw 24 Kbps (3 KB/s)! But now I go to school in Louisville where the university has a 30+ Mbps fiber optic connection with access to Internet2, and Insight offers 10 and 20 Mbps packages. With a fat pipe like that and broad wifi coverage I'll be interested to see how my Pandora does... Though it probably won't be that great since it'll be using WPA2...

Back