Ports require SOURCE CODE

@ CZ: Where did I say anything inflammatory? The whole point of the search feature is to see if the question you're about to ask has already been asked, saving yourself time.

I used the serach function. Nobody did ask for porting ffVII yet. So this wouldn't have helped him.

But thats not the point.
I just wanted to ask for a little more apreciation.

As you can see, there is a discussion going on about this topic. Others are thinking about it, and maybe someone is trying to port it and tada we have a wonderful looking FFVII.

If he just did what most of this forum want him to to, look at the sticky PORTS NEED SOURCECODES post, then he wouldn't have asked his question and nobody would have thougt about it.

I realy don't get whats so bad when peoples are asking there questions and posting there good ideas. And i dont get why we can't just answer them.
What i care about is that 8o% of all topics of the last time went to "Off Topic".

But that has nothing to with this discussion here. So i will stop whining now.

Twimfy posted on Dec 30 2003 at 01:54 PM said:
There is a way it could be done. The pre-rendered backgrounds can be easily ripped from the FFVII disc using various utilities as can the sounds. As for the 3D models well, using similar techniques as were used in the resident evil port demo a pretty good effect could be created.

The only hurdle would be the battles and the complex scripting. It would be a huge task, but it isn't impossible.
If your gonna make FFVII Then dont do it the same way resi because that was crap

* It was hard to controll
* It looked crap
* It was nothing like then origonal

Resident evil was out on the pc for gods sake.
Could they not of made an emulator for it to run on. They managed to do it for the Lucus arts series so why not resi. It was a good game until they went and put it on the game park. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Resident Evil is too hard to port because it mainly is 3d.
FF7 though only has 3d fighting scenes (which can easily be ported to 2d).
The backgrounds / etc. are fixed and prerendered (and AFAIK there's a rip tool for them), so that's also no problem.
The script can also be torn out of the original.

You need to create some 3d characters (also not too hard, as they also are rippable ;))

Most work to do is, after the coding of the engine, putting together all the pieces... like a giant puzzle with about 10000 pieces.

THAT'S the biggest problem about porting, I guess.

If anyone still wants to do it, I'll help where I can.

Resident evil was out on the pc for gods sake.
Could they not of made an emulator for it to run on. They managed to do it for the Lucus arts series so why not resi. It was a good game until they went and put it on the game park. :angry:
DOTT system requirements: DOS 5.0+, 386 +, 4 MB RAM, sound card (recommended)
Resident Evil minimum system requirements: Windows 95, 3D Card w/ 4 MB RAM, Pentium 90, 16 bit Sound Card.
There's a huge difference here, you cannot emulate superior hardware.

A FFVII 'port' would be nice but I don't think Square would just let this happen, emulation is legal and can't be stopped but if you create a single game with stolen sprites, music and backgrounds you will probably be sued (if it's good enough and the original owner finds out).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, this is just fucking awesome.

Max and ColinR both ask for stickies saying 'ports require source code' which clearly shows they didn't read the sticky, therefore stickies ARE USELESS as we have known before.

Come to think about it, the only real drop in these requests came when I stickied EVERY one of thse topics and renamed them to the same thing, except rephrased: 'ports require source code'. So I will begin this process again.

I think FF7 "port" would be great even in 2D...
I can help as much as I can....(I can code a little use 3DS & photoshop)
I dont know if it will be enough to help someone out but I cant do something better....
Just reply if you're interested with this kind of work...
Maybe it could be good to set up a team with
-coders
-Sprites rippers
-"artists"...(to mod sprites)
-story RE-writter
see you ;)
(I hope we will manage to have this one)

I had try to port Chrono Cross on 2D with TGF. Sprites were ready, some backgrounds too. The graphic style was near to Seiken 3 style.

But, tooooo difficult :(

Back