Porting PewPew

I'm getting quite a few lock ups (requiring hard reset of Pandora) on the level select screen, seems to happen when the level select list is scrolling down into place after completing a level.
I'm running PewPew 1.0.0.2, Hotfix 5a, Kernel 3.2, 256MB Pandora @ 850Mhz.
Ho gosh I forgot to say : it requiere SuperZaxxon as this firmware level contain a GPU drivers fix that correct theses lock ups.

Also, does this game need a bit of an overclock? It's very jerky with stuttering music @ 600 Mhz for me.
With Music on it's playable and no stuttering music for me (fps is a bit low and overclocking help)

Ho gosh I forgot to say : it requiere SuperZaxxon as this firmware level contain a GPU drivers fix that correct theses lock ups.

Thanks for the reply but I'm now even more confused (than normal), as mentioned I'm currently running Hotfix 5a, Kernel 3.2, what version of the firmware should I be running to correct the lockups?

This is fun! Though I'm not very good at it yet. :D

I had a lockup on the menu screen the first time I ran it, though that might be because I had synergy running at the time and moved the cursor off-screen after launch. I ended up having to SSH in and kill it with 'kill -9'. I disabled synergy and tried it again and it hasn't locked up again since.

Is the Go Online feature supposed to work in this version? I keep getting the message "Failed to connect to server" when I try to refresh.

- Neelix

I played it now and it is really entertaining! Great work.

I had a hard lockup, when scrolling the level select screen to the right and selecting the fourth level.

The mousecursor was visible and could be moved around, but else it was unreaponsive.

Thats something, that I had with pickles yamagi quake too. Does it only happen on 256mb Pandoras or on all units?

Thanks again sebasien for doing the portingwork and Jyaif for giving us this great game for our little console :)

Edit: second try: Forth level started then instant lockup when moved a nub.

Edit: third try: Instant lockup when entering Entry level.

Edit: fourth try: Disabled wifi now before entering the game, no lockups at all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had another lockup, but Synergy wasn't running this time.

Here's the pndrun.out file: (though it locked up about 30 seconds after the last recorded event)

http://pastebin.com/bm5GcNDx

I'm also attaching a screen-grab from when it locked up. (the game has locked up but ssh/dropbear is still working fine in the background) Please note that the mouse cursor and the letters OID under the 'Go Online' button do not actually appear on the screen, just in the screen grab. As you can see it was as I was loading the 'Asteroids' game menu.

- Neelix

EDIT: I'm running SuperZaxxon beta 5a on a Rebirth Edition unit.

EDIT2: just as I finished saving this message the game resumed on its own. (took about 5-10 mins) I went back up to the previous menu to confirm the game was responding, then selected Asteroids again. It got slightly further this time but then stopped again. (see second screen-grab)

EDIT3: Again the screen-grab doesn't quite match what's on the screen. I can only actually see the bottom of the green buttons, not the top as appears in the screen-grab.

lockup.png

lockup2.png

EDIT2: just as I finished saving this message the game resumed on its own. (took about 5-10 mins) I went back up to the previous menu to confirm the game was responding, then selected Asteroids again. It got slightly further this time but then stopped again. (see second screen-grab)
Could you check dmesg to see if there are any complains from SGX driver?

Now I was able to play till the boss. After defeting him, when the screen started scrolling, I had another lockup. This time without wifi.

Oh great, this time it seems to have corrupted the savefile. I have to start from level one again.

Could you check dmesg to see if there are any complains from SGX driver?

Whoa! This is just a small sample... there's enough of these to completely fill my terminal buffer:

Code:
[209177.058929] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.160491] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.262054] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.363616] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.465209] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.566741] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.668426] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.769989] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.871551] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209177.972900] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209178.074676] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209178.176239] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209178.277832] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209178.379394] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209178.480926] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

[209178.582366] pvr: pewpew2: IOCTL 69 failed (13)

- Neelix

It seems something this game does causes SGX (or it's firmware) to lock up, especially during level/menu transitions. Kernel driver then tries to reset the hardware, but that doesn't always succeed.

It seems something this game does causes SGX (or it's firmware) to lock up, especially during level/menu transitions. Kernel driver then tries to reset the hardware, but that doesn't always succeed.
Hum, I see. that explain some of the slow down in the menu animations I guess.

I voted a 5 for this game. What controls does it use? I'm not gonna bother downloading if it uses the touchscreen, and it looks like it might from the previews...

D.

I voted a 5 for this game. What controls does it use? I'm not gonna bother downloading if it uses the touchscreen, and it looks like it might from the previews...
I know Seb was a little upset about getting rated 1 star, but you've just rated a game you haven't played??

I'm looking forward to trying this when my Pandora arrives back from repair

Back