Porting My Games To Caanoo

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hello, been a while since I've posted - hope everyone is doing ok.

Just thought I'd let you know that I've just received a Caanoo and will start work on porting my existing games to this nice new console very soon. I'll probably start with Animatch as that seems to be the most popular but I will get around to porting everything. I'm also looking forward to making a game or two that makes use of the g-sensor, should be fun.

amazing news!
i really miss your games from the Caanoo (that's why I recommended you as a target for a free dev Caanoo on the Facebook discussion ;) )

Welcome back, ruckage! Now that just made my day... Very good news!

Great to hear Ruckage as your games are some of (if not the) best homebrew I've played! Outstanding news.

Great, I'd love to play Animatch on the Caanoo. :D
It should be a lot better on the larger and more responsive touch screen!

Have you tried the G-sensor ruckage? There's two examples on the archive, Mame4All and the Light Sabre.
Trying to play some games on G-sensor is really hard because well...there's no deadzone! Practically no resting, stationary position!

How sensitive is the g-sensor? Someone make a spellcasting game where you wave the unit around to cast a spell ;) (I've been trying to think of somethign useful to do with it in BattleJewels..)

(BJ with multiplayer .. just waiting for the WiFi module to come out, and for me to get a Canoo, and you'll have it ;)

jeff

Edit: oops, didn't mean a hijack; Ruckage on any platform is a big win :) (Ruckman ftw!)

BTW, ruckage, how do you want to convert your games? Using BennuGD?

Thanks for the replies everyone,

RupeeClock said:
Have you tried the G-sensor ruckage? There's two examples on the archive, Mame4All and the Light Sabre.
Trying to play some games on G-sensor is really hard because well...there's no deadzone! Practically no resting, stationary position!
I haven't tried the G-sensor in the programs you listed but I'll have to give them a go. I tried a demo in BennuGD which demonstrates how to use it and it works brilliantly - lots of potential.

skeezix said:
How sensitive is the g-sensor? Someone make a spellcasting game where you wave the unit around to cast a spell ;) (I've been trying to think of somethign useful to do with it in BattleJewels..)
Neat idea though I'd be worried about waving the caanoo around too much in case I ended up throwing it across the room :D . I'm sure the sensor would be sensitive enough though.

sbock said:
Yeah, I'll definately be using BennuGD. I'm having some problems setting it up with an IDE so feeling a bit stupid at the moment. I miss FBMX but sadly the last version that works with Bennu seems buggy and crashes often and seemingly randomly. At the minute every IDE I try seems to fail compiling so I'm obviously making some silly mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see you back on board, any news on Blingo 2008 or Space Varments 2?
blingo-pic.jpg
space-varment-2.jpg

or these?
murder-wip-thumb.jpg
miner-wip-thumb.jpg
invaders-wip-thumb1.jpg
bricks-wip-thumb.jpg

Cheers, Neil

ruckage said:
sbock said:
Yeah, I'll definately be using BennuGD. I'm having some problems setting it up with an IDE so feeling a bit stupid at the moment. I miss FBMX but sadly the last version that works with Bennu seems buggy and crashes often and seemingly randomly. At the minute every IDE I try seems to fail compiling so I'm obviously making some silly mistake.

I think SplinterGU is your man. He is active on gp32spain and the BunnuGD forum and can speak very well english. He converted the Fenix program Firewhip to BennuGD. It runs well on the Caanoo but also had some problems with fierce bugs.
On the other side: AFAIK Puck2099 will port Fenix to Caanoo to get all old programs without source and maintainer running on the new device.

Here's an active thread on gp32spain:

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=75850&page=3

sbock said:
I think SplinterGU is your man. He is active on gp32spain and the BunnuGD forum and can speak very well english. He converted the Fenix program Firewhip to BennuGD. It runs well on the Caanoo but also had some problems with fierce bugs.
On the other side: AFAIK Puck2099 will port Fenix to Caanoo to get all old programs without source and maintainer running on the new device
Well I think I have it working now. I'd like to port to Bennu anyway as it's much better than Fenix now, a lot of the Bugs Fenix had have been fixed and it seems to run generally faster.

ruckage said:
sbock said:
On the other side: AFAIK Puck2099 will port Fenix to Caanoo to get all old programs without source and maintainer running on the new device
Well I think I have it working now. I'd like to port to Bennu anyway as it's much better than Fenix now, a lot of the Bugs Fenix had have been fixed and it seems to run generally faster.

Agreed. And BennuGD will be developed further. SplinterGU is very active adding new functions. Also on demand of the game developers

ruckage said:
sbock said:

the debugging console is also far superior for bennu than on fenix. makes life coding much easier.

Once Animatch makes it across I may have reason to get a Caanoo :p. I need to jump on this Bennu bandwagon also. I started messing around with it a while back and I like the modular idea. Are modules written exclusively in C (or whatever language Bennu is written in) or can you write your own modules in Bennu?

Now that are great news! Can't wait to top my highscore in Space Varments on the Caanoo!

Ruckage makes his stuff in Bennu? Wow. I didn't know it was that good. I've sort of patiently waited for a handheld (available one) that does python and pygame properly, but maybe I'll download bennu just to mess around.

Ruckage: More power to you! I'm not big on puzzles but animatch was really good and it was a nice game to show when showing wiz to a friend.

Thanks for the replies.

Porting is fairly painless from Fenix to Bennu with just the odd few bugs because of small differences in the language so things are going well. 'Animatch' and 'Snake on Dope' are both pretty much ready to go but I'm holding off releasing until a few problems are fixed with the Caanoo port of BennuGD (at least one of the problems seems to be a firmware issue which I've heard GPH is fixing).

I'm also making small changes to the games here and there where needed - such as moving text so it isn't hidden by the bezel.

Huge thanks to Splinter as he's being extremely patient and helpful (even though I'm sure he's dreading every PM I send that reports a new bug :p ) so hopefully the problems that do exist will get fixed soon and I'll start releasing the games.

Back