Release [Port] Residual

Well it now appears that the Myst3 engine has been merged into the main ResidualVM code.. so you can now compile it for your PC yourself :p

Not much point re-porting it over yet..

1)game is not completable/engine isn't finished

2)no software renderer yet so requires more effort in porting from opengl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Pandora yesterday and wanted to play some Grim Fandango...

I have the Original Files and the update .. but they dont work... I copied the /Programms/LucasArts/Grim folder to my SD card but residual does not recognize it.

can sb help ?

Hi,

Can you be more explicit please? What do you mean by not recognizing the files?

Residual says that there is no gamedata in the folder.: "Residual cound not find any game in the specified directory!" Could sb. maybe make a Screenshot of the neccessary files ?

Thats what I use ( btw. it works on the computer ):

fkkvyboo.png

or do I have to copy all the files from the cd's not from the installation folder ?

Normally, you should only need *.LAB files and Grim.TAB. Could you check case please? If it's uppercase on Pandora, try renaming them in lower case and vice-versa. Contrary to windows, Linux files are case-sensitive.

I tried, but I can't rename some of them... but do u think that's the problem ? Now there are only 6 files. could you show me your files ?

edit.: oh, I think I know why it doesn't work.... I tried to copy the files from the cd but get a CRC error... strange thing is, that everything works on the pc... any solutions for that (btw.: i use an image in a virtual drive )

I tried, but I can't rename some of them... but do u think that's the problem ? Now there are only 6 files. could you show me your files ?

edit.: oh, I think I know why it doesn't work.... I tried to copy the files from the cd but get a CRC error... strange thing is, that everything works on the pc... any solutions for that (btw.: i use an image in a virtual drive )

I know case-sensitive filenames is always a problem whenever porting something to Linux... Not being able to rename files is weird, why is it so?

You don't need a lot of files, but I'm sorry, I can't show you mines, I don't own Grim Fandango, i tested with the demo.

Try sending a PM to lemondragon, he might know better.

Image1.jpg

This is what I have and the game runs fine.

Make sure you install the update on the PC before copying the files to your Pandora.

Now I have exactly the same files... but still doesn't work... but the letters are still small on the Pandora ( and I can't rename them on my Pand. bec. it says : Can't rename, file exists. )

edit.: I also tried it with a Kubuntu Live CD... didn't work either.( didn't let me rename files.)

I also used this app .. but it doesn't work for me ;(

do u use FAT32 ?

hm... is there no other way to rename the files ? I really want to play GF on my Pandora!

Why not rename them on your PC 1st before transferring them.

If they won´t rename because they are read only right click on the folder and select properties then remove the tick from the read only box.

I already tried that... and I can read/write... that's not the problem

edit.: I sent "lemondragon" a PM... maybe he knows how to fix this.

the reason seems to be because spn-x is using the German version of GF.

The German version has annoying copy protection on the disks where the file sizes are larger than they should be and contain garbage.

you need to use some tools in the residual-vm tools package (need to compile it) to extract them properly

link for any other German-Grim owners who require it: https://github.com/r...esidualvm-tools

The labcopy thing doesn't work for me ... it just extracts the grim.tab file not the lab files

btw.: that's the instruction :

1. Create an image of the game on the computer

2. Install the game with the Grim Fandango Setup ( http://quick.mixnmoj...-fandango-setup ) of the image by using Daemon Tools Lite

3. Download and install the patch by starting the launcher

3. Copy the .lab files with the labcoppy-programm dajusi linked to ( http://sites.google....py_20110911.zip )

4. Copy the .lab files created by the labcoppy-programm to the folder where Grim Fandango has been installed.

5. Add the game to ResidualVM

6. Set the game to fullscreen as cauciuc explained in this thread http://forums.residu...3ff4e945263b329

7. Start the game with ResidualVM

edit.: I also tried this :

To get images of both CDs, we used Testdisk 6.13 under Windows 7 x64 from
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download.

That version no longer seems to be available

Here is a short walkthrough If you want to give it a try:

1. Choose "[ Create ] Create a new log file"

2. Select your CD Drive with Grim Fandango CD in it, e.g. something like "Drive F: - 720 MB / 687 MiB - HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30"

3. Select "[None ] Non partitioned media"

4. Select "[ Advanced ] Filesystem Utils"

5. Select "[image Creation]" in the bottom row

6. Choose a path where to put the image

The image will be named image.dd and is in binary format, so to mount it with some tool, rename it to *.bin

While creating the image, there may arise some I/O errors, but those seem to be OK, as the resulting Image is functional and the LAB-Files extracted from this image do get validated by the hash checks from residual.

but still doesn't work

Well I don't have a German copy of the game so I am unable to try it myself but I'll just explain my understanding of those instructions.

1)Create an image file of the game using a program like testdisk.

2)Mount the image of the game using a tool like 'Daemon Tools Lite' and install the game using that special installer (allows the game to be installed on modern Windows machines)

3)Install the patch

4)Use labcoppy to copy the lab files from the installed directory

5)Use those copied lab files with ResidualVM

I don't know if you are able to just point the labcoppy at your CD.. but doesn't sound like it via those instructions.

Probably best if you ask for help in the ResidualVM forums about copying the lab files off of your German CDs

Back