Port Request: Abuse W/ Source Code!

Yeah, the controls would have to have a pretty customizable.

Thumbstick - Movement
Face buttons - Target Aim(Mouse Emulation)
Shoulder Buttons (Fire/Switch Weapons)

Or (With or without flipping the GP2X)

Thumbstick - Target Aim
Face Buttons - Movement

I dunno, think it would make a pretty darn cool game on the GP2X.

Thumbstick - Movement

Thumbstick - Target Aim
Face Buttons - Movement

Actually, since it's a 2d game, you are only aiming up and down, so I would think this would be a good configuration:

Thumbstick - Movement
L - Target Aim Up
R - Target Aim Down
X or B (whichever is more comfortable) - Shoot
Start - Pause
A,Y,StickClick,Select - Other button assignments
X or B (whichever one wasn't used above) - Other button assignment
Vol +/- - Volume, unless you need more buttons, which you probably wouldn't for a 2d game

Last edited by a moderator:

Thumbstick - Movement

Thumbstick - Target Aim
Face Buttons - Movement

Actually, since it's a 2d game, you are only aiming up and down, so I would think this would be a good configuration:

Thumbstick - Movement
L - Target Aim Up
R - Target Aim Down
Start - Pause
Vol +/- - Volume, unless you need more buttons, which you probably wouldn't for a 2d game
Part of the magic of Abuse is that you aren't actually aiming just up or down. The game was designed so that you would always aim towards the mouse cursor (360 degrees of aiming freedom) regardless of what direction the character was moving. This would pretty much require aiming to be mapped to the joystick and movement to the face buttons, and even so a lot of precision would be lost by the lack of an analog control.. still, it would be quite doable with a redone 16 direction aiming system.

And yes, Abuse is major fun.

If I remember Abuse correctly the firing is 360 degrees, independent of movement direction, like Robotron. I would probably go with the thumbstick for firing, ABXY for movement, and start/select/L/R for actions of various sorts. Or maybe LRXY for movement, that would be interesting.

If I remember Abuse correctly the firing is 360 degrees, independent of movement direction, like Robotron. I would probably go with the thumbstick for firing, ABXY for movement, and start/select/L/R for actions of various sorts. Or maybe LRXY for movement, that would be interesting.
Abuse would be difficult to play if you didn't have the full range of fire. Thumbstick for firing might be a necessity.

I think the real way to handle this is a fully customizable control interface available from within the game.

Thumbstick - Movement

Thumbstick - Target Aim
Face Buttons - Movement

Thumbstick - Movement
L - Target Aim Up
R - Target Aim Down
Start - Pause
Part of the magic of Abuse is that you aren't actually aiming just up or down. The game was designed so that you would always aim towards the mouse cursor (360 degrees of aiming freedom) regardless of what direction the character was moving. This would pretty much require aiming to be mapped to the joystick and movement to the face buttons, and even so a lot of precision would be lost by the lack of an analog control.. still, it would be quite doable with a redone 16 direction aiming system.

And yes, Abuse is major fun.

I'm sorry, I phrased my post wrong apparently. By up-down, I meant that there were only 2 directions your aim cursor would go, either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Think of "Down" being clockwise and "Up" being counterclockwise. Although it IS 360 degrees, it's just 2 directions. So you could still pull it offwith just the L and R buttons, but you'd probably have to edit the code a little so L and R make the Cursor move on a Radius.

The guy that did the original Linux port has a GP2X and is on this board. He has also tried to port it to GP2X, so the code is at least partially ported. I think he got into problems with it writing to NAND, and I haven't talked with him since then. I think he was frustrated and gave the project up.

I'm sorry, I phrased my post wrong apparently. By up-down, I meant that there were only 2 directions your aim cursor would go, either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Think of "Down" being clockwise and "Up" being counterclockwise. Although it IS 360 degrees, it's just 2 directions. So you could still pull it offwith just the L and R buttons, but you'd probably have to edit the code a little so L and R make the Cursor move on a Radius.

While technically a valid control scheme for an abuse-like game I do not think this would work in practice for Abuse. You would either have the fire direction moving too slow to react to even medium difficulty scenarios (enemy on each side of you) or too fast for precise control (hitting small targets). Some sort of mouse-like cursor acceleration could work to offset this tradeoff, but I still think it would be insufficient.

Back