Would Anyone Know..

iioo

Still Fresh
Back in 1996 there was a game called Abuse (made by Crack Dot Com) for the PC, it was an awesome side scrolling game, not just because of the action but also for the perfect controls. I was wondering if it would be even possible to port over to the gp2x.

I have checked wikipedia pages about this and noticed that the source code has been release (1998) and several different ports (Linux, Windows, Mac).

Here is the link for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuse_(computer_game)

iioo

After doing some searching I found out that there was a post started here about 1 year ago.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=34766
Looks like no one was able to get it up and running.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an SDL port of the game already, not sure how you would translate the controls though.

yaustar said:
There is an SDL port of the game already, not sure how you would translate the controls though.
I was looking at this a while back but I got distracted.

With fRabs and the SDL port it's certainly do-able, and entirely with "free" content etc. Don't listen to the people who tell you it can't be done because it's "written in Lisp", the game IS a lisp interpreter itself and the levels are written in a lisp-like language.

There are requirements for X libraries and OpenGL headers BUT you can configure them out using the games configure script to build just an SDL version.

I'll give it a (very brief) try tonight but if it doesn't compile and run with the minimum of effort, it'll have to wait until I have a lot more free time, or for someone else to pick it up

yaustar said:
Oh, and controls would be a bit tricky but there are ways and means around them.

I was thinking along the lines of joystick/D-pad for moving the cursor (that'll be the tricky bit), right-hand buttons for character movement (left, right, jump), start or something for fire and L,R to change weapons. It won't map perfectly to the game but it'll at least get people started.

Okay, I got it to compile as a 4Mb static binary without too much trouble. But that's only a part of the way there.

It doesn't play but it runs for a while, loads in all the level data (I used the frabs dataset) and then crashes just after loading "white light" with Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed) and stops.

It looks like, with a bit of sourcecode hackery, it could be made to work but it wouldn't be an easy job. And I haven't seen any graphics yet, so I don't know if it'll work properly.

It appears that it's "possible, but tricky" and more in the realms of an entire port than a simple cross-compile-and-tweak.

ledow said:
I was thinking along the lines of joystick/D-pad for moving the cursor (that'll be the tricky bit), right-hand buttons for character movement (left, right, jump), start or something for fire and L,R to change weapons. It won't map perfectly to the game but it'll at least get people started.
argh.. that will be pure pain man, how can you shoot pressing start while moving? Will be a lot better using L or R to shoot and vol+- to switch weapons!

anyway a config file with bindable keys will be the best for sure ;) (or a method to configure the buttons inside the game from the main menu)

Back