Port Forwarding

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
Could someone please tell me the basics of configuring port forwarding?

I have looked in my routers options, but it just confused me. The things I want to configyre it for are:
BitTornado
eMule
DC++

I assume your NAT'd? If so, then it's normally just a simple case of "external port number" and "internal port number & ip address". Whats options are you confused over?

Currently I use a Linux box as the router and find iptables is brilliant for setting up forwards, but will be buying a Dlink router soon.

It keeps saying "Please enter an end Port as an interger", and then I don't know what to do. I also don't really understand the whole concept :huh:

EDIT: I think I cracked it, I just put the port number into the Port Map field and it accepted it, I'm testing it on emule now.

EDIT2: No, DC++ is still running slow and I'm still getting a low ID in emule.

finty101 posted on Oct 7 2004 at 01:24 PM said:
It keeps saying "Please enter an end Port as an interger", and then I don't know what to do. I also don't really understand the whole concept :huh:

EDIT: I think I cracked it, I just put the port number into the Port Map field and it accepted it, I'm testing it on emule now.

I looked up the manual (on dlink's website: http://www.dlink.pl/service/manuals.asp) and there is a window called "Port Redirection". Set the Internet Port and Local Port to the same thing, and Local Computer to the IP address of your computer in your network. And that should be it. Remember to do "Save Changes" before you leave the firmware window. This may be a case of RTFM :D

Last edited by a moderator:
generalnmx posted on Oct 7 2004 at 06:56 PM said:
finty101 posted on Oct 7 2004 at 01:24 PM said:

I looked up the manual (on dlink's website: http://www.dlink.pl/service/manuals.asp) and there is a window called "Port Redirection". Set the Internet Port and Local Port to the same thing, and Local Computer to the IP address of your computer in your network. And that should be it. Remember to do "Save Changes" before you leave the firmware window. This may be a case of RTFM :D

As long as you have a decent software firewall, you shoul be able to put your machine in the DMZ if all else fails, but definitely avoid doing so if you aint got a firewall configured...

I'll download Zone Alarm tonight, it's already clogged up with Viruses and Avast ain't working. Guess I'll have to boot into safe mode.

finty101 posted on Oct 8 2004 at 02:32 AM said:
I'll download Zone Alarm tonight, it's already clogged up with Viruses and Avast ain't working. Guess I'll have to boot into safe mode.

Yeah, you should have downloaded ZoneAlarm BEFORE putting it in the DMZ. But doing a Full Virus Scan in Safe Mode will hopefully clear things up. Also do a full system Spyware scan with Adaware.

Its simple, it doesnt matter what setup you are using.. you need 3 things:

The PORT on the OUTSIDE of the router that you want to redirect

The MACHINE on the local network you want to send the traffic to

The PORT on the MACHINE on the local network you want to send the traffic to

So, in the case of bittorrent, ports 6881 to 6889 are the ports on the outside of the router that you want to redirect.
You then need the ip address of the machine you want to redirect them to. You can redirect to a different port on the internal machine, but for claritys sake, its best to leave them with the same number.... say your pc is 192.168.1.1

INTERNET YOUR LOCAL NETWORK
6881 [router] ----------------------------> 6881 [192.168.1.1]
6889 [router] ----------------------------> 6889 [192.168.1.1]

You would do the same for any other ports you wanted to use... say if you were running a web server on your pc (apache, IIS etc..)

80 [router] ---------------------------------> 80 [192.168.1.1]

So, just find our which services you want to run, their port numbers, and add the appropriate rules. Some routers allow you to do ranges of port numbers, like for bittorrent, above, you would enter 6881-6889, rather than adding each one seperately.

MegatronUK posted on Oct 9 2004 at 02:21 PM said:
Its simple, it doesnt matter what setup you are using.. you need 3 things:

The PORT on the OUTSIDE of the router that you want to redirect

The MACHINE on the local network you want to send the traffic to

The PORT on the MACHINE on the local network you want to send the traffic to

So, in the case of bittorrent, ports 6881 to 6889 are the ports on the outside of the router that you want to redirect.
You then need the ip address of the machine you want to redirect them to. You can redirect to a different port on the internal machine, but for claritys sake, its best to leave them with the same number.... say your pc is 192.168.1.1

INTERNET YOUR LOCAL NETWORK
6881 [router] ----------------------------> 6881 [192.168.1.1]
6889 [router] ----------------------------> 6889 [192.168.1.1]

You would do the same for any other ports you wanted to use... say if you were running a web server on your pc (apache, IIS etc..)

80 [router] ---------------------------------> 80 [192.168.1.1]

So, just find our which services you want to run, their port numbers, and add the appropriate rules. Some routers allow you to do ranges of port numbers, like for bittorrent, above, you would enter 6881-6889, rather than adding each one seperately.

It's unlikley to be 192.168.1.1, cos that would be the default gateway (i.e. the router) usually. Not picking holes or anything!

Back