Why Is Bittorrent So Slow For Me?

Look, all you have to do is setup a forward from your router to your pc and then tell Azureus (or whatever program you prefer) which port you have forwarded for the incoming connections to arrive on, and you'll have no more problems. You can do this with any router - it doesn't need to have support for the program, and theres no need to go shouting at the manufacturer either.

Eg. for dlink goto Advanced tab -> Port forwarding. Click user and then add. Use port start/end/map as the same value (eg. 6686, or 51234, etc). Once created, move it into applied rules and click ok. Save the settings and your done.

Alternatively, on some models you can telnet into the box as they run Linux and modify the firewall directly. Something like:

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o eth0 --protocol tcp --dport 6686 -j ACCEPT

Should do the trick to open port 6686, for example. I prefer this method as it's actually easier and faster than the gui, but the settings are not saved, so ensure you have a UPS :)

To see if your rules are applied, use:

/sbin/iptables -L FORWARD

and should get something like the following:

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
TCPMSS tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS set 1460
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:6686
DROP all -- anywhere anywhere

See. Simple! (Note that this may change, depending on versions of linux used, configuration of routers interfaces, etc).

Back