Port Forwarding

Use ssh to do it .. ssh will let you forward a local port to a remote machine (relative to where ssh is connecting to.)

ie:

I do a lot of tricks .. ssh forward port 1234 to remote port 80 .. so form box A, to box B (with sshd) forwarding to box C's http proxy, say.

You can have ssh use its default encrypted compressed tunnel, or turn off compression to improve latency, etc. Very flexible.

jeff

Thank you for your response, skeezix... unfortunately, I'm too technologically-illiterate about this to make use of it, yet. :blush:

I really need to know some more basic things such as: which program do I start? What exactly do I need to do?

I've been told that I would need to "forward UDP port 3140 with my router", but I don't know how to do that on my PC, let alone on my Pandora (although for a Windows PC, I'm sure I could find step-by-step instructions if I Googled it - no such luxury for Pandora).

Esn said:
I've been told that I would need to "forward UDP port 3140 with my router", but I don't know how to do that on my PC, let alone on my Pandora (although for a Windows PC, I'm sure I could find step-by-step instructions if I Googled it - no such luxury for Pandora).
That is your router job, not the pandora's one. It should have a configuration panel for that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
I've been told that I would need to "forward UDP port 3140 with my router", but I don't know how to do that on my PC
You need to give your Pandora a static IP, open up your routers configuration (which is usually done by just going to 192.168.1.1 or something similar in a web browser), and finding a tab or similar that looks like "forward ports". Should be fairly obvious how to fill in the details from there. The hardest part is probably going to be giving the Pandora a static IP, something that I (unfortunately) haven't figured out how to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... I figured it out, and managed to host a Netkeen game - though it was really laggy, to be honest. Better to let someone else host, but nice to know that I can do it if needed.

Of course, I had to read the instructions that came with my modem/router - these are going to be different for everyone, probably. But opening up the settings in Midori (fixed version) worked just fine.

In my case, I set it up so that UDP port 3140 is forwarded. I'm using Bell, and there was no "forward ports" option - instead, there was a list of Applications such as "Age of Empires Online" and so on. I created a new "application" called "DOSBox" with the correct settings, and selected that.

I also had to select my Pandora in my "home network" settings; I had two local devices using my Wifi connection (my Pandora and the desktop PC), so for a while I was stumped because I had opened port 3140, but it was assigned to my desktop PC, not the Pandora.

Back