[poll] Are You Windows User Or Linux User ?

Are You Windows user or Linux user or maybe using other OS?

• Windows / ReactOS

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Linux

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • BeOS / Haiku / Zeta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FreeBSD

• Aros

• Syllable

• Other

• Total voters

'StreaK' said:
IMO, its already stable for basic needs like running openoffice / running DevC++ or using it like wine replacement :)
So you still may as well just install Wine on Linux :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
My desktop runs PCLinuxOS and by laptop has XP and ArchLinux (mostly use ArchLinux on it).
If ReactOS we're enough stable to run the nvidia binary (windows) drivers and orbiter (orbitersim.com),
it would totally make my day, but now just waiting...
(OT: I essentially dont have a system capable of running orbiter properly now - the laptop keyboard sucks (for orbiter i need a proper numpad) and the desktop doesnt have windows - and yeah, orbiter is the only thing i had to "leave" when i wasted my XP partition on the desktop (or actually, i didnt move the partition to my new hard disk))

I am supriced that here almost 50% of users have GNU/Linux operating System :)
But what i'm afrear to: is that fact that you connected ReactOS and Windows. If I were you I would not do such stupid thnig. Only reason is that ReactOS is Open and Free, nor Windows.
So Gamers are linux!;D

I would chose ANY OpenSource system, but I've learnt GNU/Linux so I'm using it until something will be much better.

Best Regards for all OpenSource users!

'Leonar' said:
But what i'm afrear to: is that fact that you connected ReactOS and Windows. If I were you I would not do such stupid thnig. Only reason is that ReactOS is Open and Free, nor Windows.
So Gamers are linux!;D
Its connected, because ReactOS emulating Win NT architecture and its basically fullblown windows NT emulator inside ReactOS core [ based on Wine ] :). I cant see reason NOT TO connect it :)

ZetaOS is also closedsource and is basically BeOS ripoff with some additional new addons. Haiku for example is Opensource BeOS-compatible OS... so also Zeta should be in different option than Haiku / Beos. If we will think about it in direction that you thinking i should put all beos zeta haiku in different options to chose becasue:

Haiku is free OS
BeOS is not free but you cant buy it :)
Zeta is not free but you can still buy it in germany :) [ in few shop with software ]

Well, I say that ROS and Windows should have separated bike sheds, since ROS is free and open, whereas Windows is closed and costs money.

There's no point in specifying "ROS / Windows" if they're in one category and there's no way to differentiate. Just put "Windows" or "Windows | ROS" but don't combine them.

Its connected, because ReactOS emulating Win NT architecture and its basically fullblown windows NT emulator inside ReactOS core [ based on Wine ] :). I cant see reason NOT TO connect it :)

ZetaOS is also closedsource and is basically BeOS ripoff with some additional new addons. Haiku for example is Opensource BeOS-compatible OS... so also Zeta should be in different option than Haiku / Beos. If we will think about it in direction that you thinking i should put all beos zeta haiku in different options to chose becasue:

Haiku is free OS
BeOS is not free but you cant buy it :)
Zeta is not free but you can still buy it in germany :) [ in few shop with software ]

1. ReactOS is not Windows. Only emulates(or act similar) some part of Windows NT. Most windows users are XP and Vista(So they are Windows... you know what i mean). Also they don't work/act in the same way :)... Most of painfull thing in ReactOS is that Operating system writen for wine(i don't know direct build of kernel. I think that is something that Runs wine and wine runs all react os apps/services)
2. I've heard some time ago that Zeta is being ported to Linux Kernel, i don't renember where I'd read it(i think linuxnews.pl or jakilinux.org i'm not sure)

But you are right I didn't think about the BeOS case. Never tried them:)

BTW
can you tell sth about the Speed of haiku and reactos?(i mean with comparison to Ubuntu(because is the most popular distro)

'Leonar' said:
1. ReactOS is not Windows. Only emulates(or act similar) some part of Windows NT. Most windows users are XP and Vista(So they are Windows... you know what i mean). Also they don't work/act in the same way :)... Most of painfull thing in ReactOS is that Operating system writen for wine(i don't know direct build of kernel. I think that is something that Runs wine and wine runs all react os apps/services)
2. I've heard some time ago that Zeta is being ported to Linux Kernel, i don't renember where I'd read it(i think linuxnews.pl or jakilinux.org i'm not sure)

But you are right I didn't think about the BeOS case. Never tried them:)
Rep. 1. ReactOS have microkernel based on linux basically but strong tieing it with wine on core level, gives oportunity to treat it like something more than windows emulator. As you can see, you cant start reactos without starting the "wine subsystem". Its like haiku, that uses own procedures to imitate beos. ReactOS uses own procedures to "imitate" WinNT on core level [ aswell as hardware level and software level ]. The main reason of creating this OS was to develop completety free system with 100% compatibility with Windows NT kernel.

ReactOS isnt E/OS LX [ basically linux with binded wine], its almost real Windows OS in opensource package.

2. I dont think , because magnussoft hasnt got rights to publish source of zeta legally. BeOS code was stolen from palm in suspicious way, and after that YellowTab also in suspicious way "gets" the right to use the source code, and BeoS became Zeta :). Maybe you're talking about ZevenOS? Its basically ubuntu with some new icons and a beos-feel, but you cant run a programs / apps from beos on it. Sorry :)

3. Ubuntu in comparision with reactos or haiku looks like big-fat mutha. Especially when you're comparing ubuntu with haiku. haiku booting time is 4 or 5 times quicker than ubuntu [ for example if started from USB stick ]. It eat less memory, aswell... and for example full haiku system uses about 100mb of memory. On hdd eats about 80mb [ whole system ] :)

I've had Knoppix boot to LXDE in 40 seconds from a USB 2 flash drive, while Ubuntu takes 2 minutes to boot from my internal SATA 2.5 inch drive.

Somewhere between GNOME, all the crap I've installed, and Ubuntu being easy to use, it got VERY slow.
And according to gnome-system-monitor, it's using 1.3 GiB / 2.0 GiB of RAM to run Firefox, Pidgin, gnome-system-monitor, and a Prism instance viewing Google Reader.

Is this normal? I expected 2GB of RAM to go a lot further, though I suspect it's mostly Firefox and GNOME's fault.

'lulzfish' said:
I've had Knoppix boot to LXDE in 40 seconds from a USB 2 flash drive, while Ubuntu takes 2 minutes to boot from my internal SATA 2.5 inch drive.

Somewhere between GNOME, all the crap I've installed, and Ubuntu being easy to use, it got VERY slow.
And according to gnome-system-monitor, it's using 1.3 GiB / 2.0 GiB of RAM to run Firefox, Pidgin, gnome-system-monitor, and a Prism instance viewing Google Reader.

Is this normal? I expected 2GB of RAM to go a lot further, though I suspect it's mostly Firefox and GNOME's fault.
I remember back-in-da-days, main advantage over windows was faster GUI and better memory management in linux. Something very bad going in linux dev teams. Lets back to CLI mode. I want DOS times back :)

BTW. Firefox is memory eatin' monster, if you're using a lot of tabs.

I remember thinking, "Well, Firefox runs on both Linux and Windows, so I'll at least have a web browser I'm used to"

Now that I'm actually using Ubuntu, I feel like the Windows version of Firefox is way fucking better. I feel cheated. Ubuntu's Firefox is slower, scrolls slow, types slow, and one time when I woke up, I saw it was wearing the T-shirt I'd worn to bed that night. :ph34r:

All the while, GoboLinux is in the back of my mind, whispering to itself, "you're always going to be the package manager's bitch as long as you use FHS systems."

Maybe I'm expecting too much of Linux, but I thought things would be simpler and better and more well-thought-out.

'lulzfish' said:
I remember thinking, "Well, Firefox runs on both Linux and Windows, so I'll at least have a web browser I'm used to"

Now that I'm actually using Ubuntu, I feel like the Windows version of Firefox is way fucking better. I feel cheated. Ubuntu's Firefox is slower, scrolls slow, types slow, and one time when I woke up, I saw it was wearing the T-shirt I'd worn to bed that night. :ph34r:

All the while, GoboLinux is in the back of my mind, whispering to itself, "you're always going to be the package manager's bitch as long as you use FHS systems."

Maybe I'm expecting too much of Linux, but I thought things would be simpler and better and more well-thought-out.
Ubuntu is very bloated for a linux distribution, out of the box it runs many services most people don't even have just for ease of use. If you know what you actually need, a minimal install of Debian or Arch Linux using XFCE as the windowmanager with the EXT4 filesystem will feel and boot up lightning fast on 2gb.

Also yeah, Firefox on Linux is actually much worse than Windows. There's been benchmark results showing that even win32 Firefox in WINE is faster than native linux Firefox. FF3 in general is pretty dated, it's best to use the beta FF3.1/3.5 versions which have huge performance boosts.

Or if you aren't attached to any Firefox extensions, try using a webkit based browser like Midori.

'StreaK' said:
Rep. 1. ReactOS have microkernel based on linux basically but strong tieing it with wine on core level, gives oportunity to treat it like something more than windows emulator. As you can see, you cant start reactos without starting the "wine subsystem". Its like haiku, that uses own procedures to imitate beos. ReactOS uses own procedures to "imitate" WinNT on core level [ aswell as hardware level and software level ]. The main reason of creating this OS was to develop completety free system with 100% compatibility with Windows NT kernel.

ReactOS isnt E/OS LX [ basically linux with binded wine], its almost real Windows OS in opensource package.

2. I dont think , because magnussoft hasnt got rights to publish source of zeta legally. BeOS code was stolen from palm in suspicious way, and after that YellowTab also in suspicious way "gets" the right to use the source code, and BeoS became Zeta :). Maybe you're talking about ZevenOS? Its basically ubuntu with some new icons and a beos-feel, but you cant run a programs / apps from beos on it. Sorry :)

3. Ubuntu in comparision with reactos or haiku looks like big-fat mutha. Especially when you're comparing ubuntu with haiku. haiku booting time is 4 or 5 times quicker than ubuntu [ for example if started from USB stick ]. It eat less memory, aswell... and for example full haiku system uses about 100mb of memory. On hdd eats about 80mb [ whole system ] :)

1. So you should merge *BSD and linux:p BSD kernel supports binaries from Linux. But I understand you :)
2.No i didn't meant ZevenOS. It was a loong time ago on LinuxNews but I'm not sure...Oh I'm sorry. It was Syllable(looks very similar to haiku/beos). Note that is fork of AtheOS which is similar to BeOS :D
3.But did you looked at quantity of services/layers/demons on Ubuntu and on Haiku :D But If it will be much faster and will give the same funcionality, why not...

'Elanzer' said:
Ubuntu is very bloated for a linux distribution, out of the box it runs many services most people don't even have just for ease of use. If you know what you actually need, a minimal install of Debian or Arch Linux using XFCE as the windowmanager with the EXT4 filesystem will feel and boot up lightning fast on 2gb.

Also yeah, Firefox on Linux is actually much worse than Windows. There's been benchmark results showing that even win32 Firefox in WINE is faster than native linux Firefox. FF3 in general is pretty dated, it's best to use the beta FF3.1/3.5 versions which have huge performance boosts.

Or if you aren't attached to any Firefox extensions, try using a webkit based browser like Midori.
Did you tested Firefox 3.1 aka 3.5? I don't see in any way improvment in perfomance. It will be the slowest version in 3.x because they want to bring with FF so many features.
Main problem with Ubuntu is that packages are prepared for i386(old pentium 1 processors)(and config eats much... because it can run on so many computer out of the box). But mainly Ubuntu inside is very fast but the GUI is slow. For instance ArchLinux GUI works(KDE3 mod) extremely fast, but inside i don't feel is more faster than ubuntu :)

This is my very first post using Puppy Linux 4.2 OS. B) I'm still trying to figure out how to find files I've downloaded as well as installing/removing software. Well practice makes perfect. :p

All the other times it's either Windows XP/Vista. :)

I use Linux for serious stuff and just have a powerful XP box for running games and a couple of peripherals that don`t have full Linux support (Phillips mp4 player and a portable graphics tablet), so 4 machines running Linux (2 netbooks + 2 laptops) and one desktop running XP for games.

if they could get all windows games/apps to run under wine it would be 100% Linux.

StreaK said:
I've got a bug report in about that. It's one thing to use a lot of memory if you've opened a lot of tabs, but if you track memory usage it never returns all the memory used, even if you close down to a single tab. I opened the bug way back with 2.5. Someone finally got around to looking at it a couple weeks ago. It's been a very disillusioning experience.

'WizardStan' said:
'StreaK' said:
I've got a bug report in about that. It's one thing to use a lot of memory if you've opened a lot of tabs, but if you track memory usage it never returns all the memory used, even if you close down to a single tab. I opened the bug way back with 2.5. Someone finally got around to looking at it a couple weeks ago. It's been a very disillusioning experience.

It could be caching stuff in memory or something (infact I believe that is what lead the traditional "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" phrase that was used to refer to firefox).

Penguin Powa FTW!

danboid - promoting GNU/Linux since '96

EDIT

Oh yeah my, OS's :D

Work laptop - Quad boot

Debian sid amd64
Ubuntu Intrepid amd64
Opensolaris 2008.11 (32bit)
XP SP3 32bit

My desktop at work dual boots XP and Intrepid. My just purchased Mini 10 is running Hardy, seeing as thats the only OS that properly supports intels poulsbo GFX proppa.

Of course I'm forced to use M$ stuff at work but I've converted most of the server room over to Lenny now- I can't totally drop the MS servers as of yet but that is the aim of the game ;)

I'm quite surprised at the proportion of Linux users here.

I use Ubuntu at home, Ubuntu at work, Xubuntu/BT3 on my eeePC and XP at school (also dual-booted at home).

'nickspoon' said:
I'm quite surprised at the proportion of Linux users here.

I use Ubuntu at home, Ubuntu at work, Xubuntu/BT3 on my eeePC and XP at school (also dual-booted at home).
Im also surprised. I created it because, my previous poll about creating Pandora Sync Suite was pretty surprising aswell [ many linux users says there that they dont want Pandora Sync Suite for Windows, so i decided to make completely neutral poll to see the "population" :) differences between linux and win users on gp32x ] and i see half-2-half, now

Back