[poll] Are You Windows User Or Linux User ?

Are You Windows user or Linux user or maybe using other OS?

• Windows / ReactOS

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Linux

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • BeOS / Haiku / Zeta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FreeBSD

• Aros

• Syllable

• Other

• Total voters

I use Windows and Linux. Windows for games and Linux for office applications (i'm not paying $400 for the windows versions).

Last edited by a moderator:
'B-ZaR' said:
'Miknal' said:
I use windows, from the poll it looks like Arguing which is better in a windows vs linux debate is pointless, since most windows users don't use it out of choice, and only partly out of ignorance. It's more that we just don't care that much!

There has been no argument so far, don't you try and incite one! Let's keep this one a nice thread where people can tell what OSs they use. :)
Actually, you have a point, I didn't mean it that way, but I can see how people would take it as such, and so I have edited my post accordingly.

Kazuki said:
I use Linux & FreeBSD and some times windows. :)
'StreaK' said:
Yeah, i love ReactOS.
Yes ReactOS is very nice. :)
ReactOS? Is that stable enough yet? When I last tried it, it still had drawing problems when I opened the file browser... Oh well, it would be awesome if it ever gets finished.

Haiku is more the kind of OS I would prefer if it was as mature as, say, Linux.

Windows: No way, I'm sorry but I just need to be able to use the latest technologies in the OSS world fully (KDE, OpenGL, PA, Compiz (\^_\^) etc)

XP at school, XP at home, and some W7 beta once in a while. Ubuntu when I need something done in Linux.

I'm not sure why Mac OS isn't on this list, so I voted Linux because all of my computers sans my primary computer run Linux. Also because I love Linux. I just wish it had more application support. Which is, of course, very difficult for closed source applications.

Hey StreaK i have a question about Haiku. Is it compatible with windows drivers or will it be in the future?

The reason I ask is because it looks awesome, but my laptop is a HP Tx2500, and the screen is a Wacom tablet screen (whatever that is).

I'm just wondering if I can ever use my screen with Haiku, as I think theres problems with it on linux.

@Nova there definitly is a wacom driver for Linux which works well from what I understand you probably have it set up wrong (no offense it happens all the time)

Haiku doesn't support windows drivers ... it has a compatibility layer for some freebsd drivers though

CODE
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/inputdev
http://www.debianhelp.org/node/6236
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1115966&page=2

'Nova' said:
Hey StreaK i have a question about Haiku. Is it compatible with windows drivers or will it be in the future?

The reason I ask is because it looks awesome, but my laptop is a HP Tx2500, and the screen is a Wacom tablet screen (whatever that is).

I'm just wondering if I can ever use my screen with Haiku, as I think theres problems with it on linux.
No. it'll never be compatible because haiku has completely different architecture. Only drivers from BeOS and Zeta will be compatible with Haiku. I read somewhere that some FreeBSD drivers after small modifications [ in source ] will work in haiku [ maybe it was a rumor, i dont remember ].

Haiku uses VESA modes so almost every screen / gcard will work, but VESA mode is not well optimized, and its a bit slow on slower machines [Older Pentiums < 200Mhz][ youll see it after dragging the windows inside haiku -> that infamous screen tearing ]. BTW> I have doubt will it ever support tablets or touchscreens...

'Archaemic' said:
I'm not sure why Mac OS isn't on this list, ...
My fault, i forgot to add MacOS. Sorry.. :/

Ubuntu 64 / 32 most everywhere, xubuntu on an old p3 livingroom / tv computer. XP on 3 virtualbox images for the one custom/proprietary application from work that will not run in wine, and for testing the three relevant versions of IE.

Why no Mac OS X Leopard ?

I don't actually use it but I plan on buying a MacBook Pro Someday...

StreaK said:
Yeah, i love ReactOS and Haiku, and i cant wait when they'll kick butt M$ Windows... :)

Im active terster both and i must admit when haiku comes to RC1 with Wifi stack support, ill install it on my wind laptop. I've already added to the build OSS drivers, and i have sound [ what a pleasure to hear a sound on nevest laptops/netboks in haiku, yeah :) ]

ReactOS cant be booted up from external drive , but it runs on various laptops like charm [ i've tested 3 ].
You're a Haiku tester? Can you convince the devs to pick up work on the PPC version again? I got a G3 not that long ago and when Haiku hits RC1, it would be a great fit for that aging machine.

'Ravnos' said:
You're a Haiku tester? Can you convince the devs to pick up work on the PPC version again? I got a G3 not that long ago and when Haiku hits RC1, it would be a great fit for that aging machine.
Not official tester :), but im testing builds for www.haiku-os.pl. Speaking of PPC i think it would be reasonable to make PPC Version someday, BUT even if we make petition about it, im convinced that nobody will touch PPC until haiku reaches stable v1.0. HaikuOS sill hasnt got enough active developers to delegate dev to make PPC ver from unstable pre-rc1 version.

At work I have to use XP.
At home, I have XP for games, and Ubuntu for pretty much everything else. An OS doesn't really make much difference to me, as I don't really do anything that complex. I do prefer Linux for programming though, as Windows doesn't seem to have anything on par with a linux terminal.

My desktop at home currently has XP on it. However, my server (which I spend more time working with) and my Laptop are Ubuntu. So by virtue of numbers I voted Linux.

fiveseven said:
At work I have to use XP.
At home, I have XP for games, and Ubuntu for pretty much everything else. An OS doesn't really make much difference to me, as I don't really do anything that complex. I do prefer Linux for programming though, as Windows doesn't seem to have anything on par with a linux terminal.
Cygwin comes fairly close to providing a Unix-style command line and environment on Windows. It's still not quite the same as a proper Unix-like system, but it might be close enough for your needs, I don't know.

I mostly use MacOSX but also use Zenwalk and Mandriva distributions of Linux. I run AROS hosted on top of Linux on occasion and AmigaOS 3.9 under EUAE on the Mac. Windows? Nah, who needs it!?

I use a variety of Linux distributions, but mostly debian on my servers and a few desktops and fedora on my laptop.
I also use gentoo for some specific tasks and have my laptop dual-boot with Windows XP for those few times I game or VJ using OpenTZT (too bad it relies so much on DirectX :( )

Back