PlayStation Certified SONY products

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Heyz~

Just because I'm a huge SONY fan-man I want to recommend the following products to people who are fans of SONY products, but weren't really impressed with the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, which was the very first PlayStation Certified SONY product in existence.

Whilst I don't really want to recommend you the SONY S1 9.4" wide screen tablet due to it being quite meh, imo...it is nonetheless a PlayStation Certified SONY product, so therefore I'll leave it up to you to make up your own mind about it.

Shown below is what I want you to consider in purchasing. It's the SONY S2 dual 5.5" wide screen clamshell tablet/umpc/mid.

utXho.png

http://kotaku.com/#!5795640/sonys-s2-playstation-tablet-looks-familiar/gallery/1

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/sony-to-launch-two-honeycomb-tablets/

VEZGx.png

The YouTube vid of the S2 below. This is a MUST WATCH!!!! Don't miss out!!! B)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3U-QUqLjj18?feature=oembed (only faster and better obviously) when multi-tasking.

3. IMHO, SONY should have at least added physical R1, R2, L1 & L2 shoulder buttons (and L3 & R3 buttons too, perhaps?).

By the way, I used to have a Toshiba Libretto W100 (released in limited numbers (as a Limited Edition) in August 2010).

It's a dual screen 7" wide multi-touch capacitive screen clamshell tablet/umpc/mid.

Quick specs: Intel Pentium U5400 1.2 GHz, 2 GB DDR3 RAM (2GB max), 62GB SSD with Windows 7 Home Premium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHWfji5zZY

Aren't we, as OSS and "free choice" software proponents, supposed to be boycotting SONY products now?

D.

what better way to boycott them nowadays then hack their systems to be open source?

Aren't we, as OSS and "free choice" software proponents, supposed to be boycotting SONY products now?

D.
We aren't supposed to be boycotting anything closed-source, especially if the devices used are unique or useful.

At the same time, I could think of a ton of ways I'd rather spend my money.

what better way to boycott them nowadays then hack their systems to be open source?
Yes, but then SONY still makes money off of the sale, and again when they take you to court for hacking. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving your money to a company that actually produces what you want that doesn't involve hacking around their safeguards.

Ugh... Sony... No Sony products for me, ever again. I should have learned they were bad stuff after the whole cd trojan ordeal, but nooooo...

No more Sony products for me either.

PS3 was the last product I bought from them.

The removal of the OtherOS was too much.

But they kept going, they were warned by some hackers that the PSN was not secure, they didn't listened => the PSN is down YAY SONY
dry.gif

Poor Dunny, without context his sarcasm is lost on everyone..

:)

That actually wasn't supposed to be read in a sarcastic tone... but hey, it's text. Sony has a reputation of actively preventing people from doing what they want with their devices; from what I've been reading around the 'net just lately I thought that this of all places would be the last whose members would be promoting Sony products :)

D.

:)

That actually wasn't supposed to be read in a sarcastic tone... but hey, it's text. Sony has a reputation of actively preventing people from doing what they want with their devices; from what I've been reading around the 'net just lately I thought that this of all places would be the last whose members would be promoting Sony products :)

D.

Just figured given your tone in the thread asking why Craig supports Yongzh and zodttd. You're not a person I'd expect to boycott a device on the grounds of not being "open." But since I see you're speaking for others instead.. why would you think these boards would have any kind of homogeneous mindset that you yourself don't have?

Just figured given your tone in the thread asking why Craig supports Yongzh and zodttd. You're not a person I'd expect to boycott a device on the grounds of not being "open." But since I see you're speaking for others instead.. why would you think these boards would have any kind of homogeneous mindset that you yourself don't have?

It's not so much about the device not being open, but more due to Sony's continued efforts to actively restrict what people do with hardware they've paid for. This is very different to whether or not an application is "open" - even though a piece of code is closed-source, I'd expect people to do what they want with it, even if it's not the author's original intention.

With regards to the thread you mention, I do find it hilarious that someone would release code in open-source format and then complain when someone else takes that code and doesn't follow suit - people will be people, and all that entails. Even more hilarious is that people who had no hand in creating the original code would complain when that situation occurs. I suppose that because I work daily with the worst that society has to offer, this kind of thing doesn't surprise me and is only to be expected. I've only ever released one application as closed-source (which is now actually open), all my other apps are fully open. I use the GPL because I find that it's most compatible with other code if I use it, but I'll not shed any tears if anyone steals it :)

Anyway, I don't see that as being related to what Sony is/has been doing?

As for me speaking for others... where did I say that? I merely stated that I would expect a certain way of thinking in a group that so avidly supports a device whose sole distinction from other devices is the openness that was incorporated in the design. I certainly wouldn't actually presume to speak for the forum as a whole, and I do apologise if I came across as doing so.

D.

As for me speaking for others... where did I say that?

I merely stated that I would expect a certain way of thinking in a group

Enough said. You really can't complete that sentence without putting forth that you're attributing a mindset to an entire group.

There are a ton of reasons to like Pandora, and there are even more reasons to be on this board. Saying that Pandora's sole distinction from other devices is its "openness incorporated into its design" is bizarre.. not just because a lot of other features set it apart, but because there are plenty of other devices on the market that aren't locked down. Some that have a more open design than Pandora.

A lot of people are here not only because or not at all because they feel Pandora gives them more freedom. One of the appeals is that it's a machine designed for gaming. With that said, it's ridiculous to think that the entire forum would want to boycott a commercial gaming device...

Last edited by a moderator:
As for me speaking for others... where did I say that?

I merely stated that I would expect a certain way of thinking in a group

Enough said. You really can't complete that sentence without putting forth that you're attributing a mindset to an entire group.

Even so, that's not "speaking for others", but stating that I would expect one group of people to have similar thoughts and feelings on a subject that's related to one of the main ethics of the group - in this case, "open hardware". In general, people that do belong to a group tend to exhibit similar behaviours. Again though, there is a distinction between that and speaking for everyone on the forum (which would be more akin to my making a policy decision based on my opinions rather than throwing open a debate), and again I'll apologise if you feel upset that I may have been doing so.

There are a ton of reasons to like Pandora, and there are even more reasons to be on this board. Saying that Pandora's sole distinction from other devices is its "openness incorporated into its design" is bizarre.. not just because a lot of other features set it apart, but because there are plenty of other devices on the market that aren't locked down. Some that have a more open design than Pandora.

Well, I'll bow to your more extensive experience then - as far as I can see, the Pandora has always been sold on the premise that the creators will not actively restrict what you do with the device. Unless you're talking about the fact that it has twin analog nubs of course - there do seem to be other devices around that have a keyboard. However, I've only ever really used the more mainstream devices (NDS/PSP/GBA/GB) and only two of the more obscure (the GP2X/GP32). I've no experience of other devices such as the new phones, so my thinking that most other devices are locked down is maybe understandable?

A lot of people are here not only because or not at all because they feel Pandora gives them more freedom. One of the appeals is that it's a machine designed for gaming. With that said, it's ridiculous to think that the entire forum would want to boycott a commercial gaming device...

That's an interesting perspective, and one I'd not considered - thankyou.

D.

Back