Blender On The Pandora

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
I enjoy making 3d models using the CAD program for my TI-84... I don't think Blender would be especially useful on the Pandora but fun!
I wouldn't use Blender on Pandora for Rendering or Particles or Complex Scenes...but for simple 3D Sketches it should be good enough. With the orthographic Camera Mode you also can use Blender as pretty nice 2D Vector-Drawing Programm. Here, this old Pandora Logo of me is completely made with Blender:

Of course, the Pandora-Blender would need a customized Interface and a good usage of the various Pandora Input Methods. But why not? Maybe someone could ask the Blender-Dev Team if they want to take a look onto the Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Java is ported, then so can AOI. It's that simple

Not quite. If Java AND Java3D are ported - then it should work so long as a mouse is appropriately emulated. Java3D is not an essential part of a Java port and getting it appropriately accelerated on the OMAP GPU is likely not done yet either.

Not trying to discourage anyone, just being realistic in order to keep hopes/expectations on the level :)

--BenT

Not quite. If Java AND Java3D are ported - then it should work so long as a mouse is appropriately emulated. Java3D is not an essential part of a Java port and getting it appropriately accelerated on the OMAP GPU is likely not done yet either

Oh I forgot about that :) .

Hey, I just found This on Sourceforge... it's been inactive for like 3 years, and the newest version isn't even available (might be on SVN or sthg though), but it seems like it'd work well with just a touchscreen.

It is, however, a windows program, so I have no idea if it's even possible to port, plus the available languages are Thai and English, leading me to believe there's going to be quite a few Thai comments in the code....

That does actually look pretty good. Kinda like a squiggle-recognition Sketch-Up (which is an awesome product... wish it were open-source!)

They have some REALLY old source available, but their latest version has nothing (either in CVS or as an alternate download). As such, they are technically violating the qt licenses, but given they are no longer around - I doubt it'd be possible for someone to follow this up without legal threats (always a nasty business).

--BenT

cb88 said:
POV-ray FTW X.x
i love Pov-ray ( it is perfect for coders who dislike manipulate mesh with mouse :p and prefer type coordinates with keyboard ) but Pov is not a 'Modeler' ,it is a Raytracer and needs the high mips possible.

that's remember me : in 1991 i bought a 386 coprocessor because of Pov :p and we (my husband and me ) let the computer calculate the render the night ( take many hours for calculate :D )

Now on my laptop it takes again few seconds for calculate renders , i don't know with Pandora ....

Remember Pov use ONLY the CPU, not the GPU !

hum sketchboard seems great :)

maybe with contact to author we could have his last source code ?

I just thought it was worth mentioning this anecdote.
I've got a friend who's happily running Blender (under Linux) on his Asus Eee 700. He says it actually runs better than it does on his -- admittedly aging -- desktop PC, though it does render much slower. (He's using the Eee for modelling and the desktop to render.)

This suggests to me that:
A) the screen resolution is adequate for the Blender GUI (same as Eee 700)
B) it ought to be able to run at an acceptable speed

Assuming someone chooses to do the port, that is.

I use Wings3D more than Blender. I'd love someone to work through whats needed to get it running on the Pandora.

rasczak said:
Sketchboard could be a nice soft to port also: http://sketchboard.sourceforge.net, obviously for those who likes sketchup.

That was mentioned earlier- and the unfortunate take away from Sketchboard is that they've apparently not released the source to the latest version for download- which makes it dicey right at the moment from the SourceForge standpoint as well as doing anything with it. I'm going to see if there's anything salvagable from the code that IS available and report back on it.

Chip said:
You're missing the number one reason why Blender and similarly complex programs are impractical on Pandora - screen size. Screen resolution is the only minimum system requirement that Pandora doesn't meet (the recommended rez is 1920x1200!), and when you take into account the near-microscopic dot pitch of the Pandora display, it goes even farther into the realm of improbable.

It's a nice thought, but I don't see how anybody could get any real 3D work done with Pandora's small screen. And that's not even taking all the other cons into account.

I actually think it would be advantageous to run blender on the Pandora. You would need to re-implement the UI, of course, with all the controls in an off-screen area that can be called into the whole screen with the press of a button. By running it on the Pandora itself, you could simulate how the character / model would look on the screen of the device you're targeting. Practicality is a good question here.

Pros:
-Mobility
-Pick-up, put-down functionality brought by that mobility
-A good way to open 3D models for viewing on the Pandora
-Adds another blade to the swiss army knife

Cons:
-System limitations like CPU speed, RAM, especially screen size make a straight port impractical
-Keyboard layout and control scheme doesn't help that either
-OpenGL code would need to be reimplemented in OpenGL ES
-Overall, a lot of work

Basically, if you redesign the UI with the Pandora in mind, it becomes practical. A straight port, however, is clearly not. Provided that the interface was redesigned, would you still imply that the uses / functionality be limited? Not being an attack dog here, just tackling this from whatever angle I can. Thoughts?

The Blender UI shoud be adjusted for Usage onto the Pandora. I think there could be some simplifications and because we have all the Gaming Controlls maybe this could be done.

Maybe at least a simple Renderer could be included, I don't know what the Pandora can handle since AFAIK rendering is always pure software processing.

All in all would be a "mobile Blender" a great programm for simple sketching 3D (and 2D) things, the Program should be optimized in this direction. :)

AireTamStorm said:
Chip said:
You're missing the number one reason why Blender and similarly complex programs are impractical on Pandora - screen size. Screen resolution is the only minimum system requirement that Pandora doesn't meet (the recommended rez is 1920x1200!), and when you take into account the near-microscopic dot pitch of the Pandora display, it goes even farther into the realm of improbable.

It's a nice thought, but I don't see how anybody could get any real 3D work done with Pandora's small screen. And that's not even taking all the other cons into account.

I actually think it would be advantageous to run blender on the Pandora. You would need to re-implement the UI, of course, with all the controls in an off-screen area that can be called into the whole screen with the press of a button. By running it on the Pandora itself, you could simulate how the character / model would look on the screen of the device you're targeting. Practicality is a good question here.

Pros:
-Mobility
-Pick-up, put-down functionality brought by that mobility
-A good way to open 3D models for viewing on the Pandora
-Adds another blade to the swiss army knife

Cons:
-System limitations like CPU speed, RAM, especially screen size make a straight port impractical
-Keyboard layout and control scheme doesn't help that either
-OpenGL code would need to be reimplemented in OpenGL ES
-Overall, a lot of work

Basically, if you redesign the UI with the Pandora in mind, it becomes practical. A straight port, however, is clearly not. Provided that the interface was redesigned, would you still imply that the uses / functionality be limited? Not being an attack dog here, just tackling this from whatever angle I can. Thoughts?

Blender can already be controlled largely without the user interface, most of which is actually completely useless if you know the keyboard short cuts. any tile of the interface can be made full screen using ctrl+up. It also has a simmaler feature to workspaces, which can be accessed using the ctrl +left / right keys.

I remember using the PocketPC version when it first came out, the interface was not good! I think this was mostly a lack of mouse buttons and shortcut keys.

Back