Planet Computers : Gemini - Psion Returns

Ever seen ED working on a Pandora (or Pyra)? I have watched the videos, and I don't remember gloves, and his hair probably blows in the wind that no one else feels. I know, totally different.

Didn't look the cleanest of environments, people with hair dangling over the device, no gloves etc.

But maybe the part being constructed isn't so dust sensitive.

They are building a phone to go in my pocket and not a heart valve to go in my chest.

I'm trying to become the German distributor for it, but they haven't replied to me yet... I'll keep at it :)
Be persistent. Planet Computers is generally non-responsive to individual user inquiries. They don't even have a truly official online forum. There is a bit of end-user conversation over at: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showforum=192 However, I have yet to see any official Planet Computers communications outside of the Indiegogo listing.

There is a nascent effort to providing a full Linux mobile phone applications stack:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34728

I suspect that if given a bit of consideration, there could be some cross-device Linux software pollination between Pyra and Gemini as telephony on Debian on ARM solutions on one device should be semi-applicable to the other. I see the two devices as complimentary.

And again, I will caution anyone that's interested in pre-ordering this that the head of Planet Computers is a close affiliate (and indeed head engineer, iirc) of RCL (and if you dig around, there's some very very unsavoury speculation about him and his association with other members of RCL, though I'm not sure that's relevant unless you count his previous record of running companies).

If you're gonna get one of these, then either wait until you can buy them from an online shop or make sure that you can stand to lose the cash.

And again, I will caution anyone that's interested in pre-ordering this that the head of Planet Computers is a close affiliate (and indeed head engineer, iirc) of RCL (and if you dig around, there's some very very unsavoury speculation about him and his association with other members of RCL, though I'm not sure that's relevant unless you count his previous record of running companies).

If you're gonna get one of these, then either wait until you can buy them from an online shop or make sure that you can stand to lose the cash.

The Vega+ project was a shitshow before Janko joined it.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/16/retro_computer_ltd_vega_plus_indiegogo_saga/

Crowdfunding is always a risk.
Crowdfunding on Indiegogo is generally riskier than Kickstarter.
As progress continues through development and into production, risk slowly goes down.
When the risk is gone, the price goes up.

They are in production now. I'm surprised that the Indiegogo ordering isnt closed.

As much as I'd love to get hold of one of these - a decent successor to the Psion Series 5MX (the Series 7 was a joke), I will still avoid them until they're generally available. Don't forget that the Vega+ is also in production right now.

There have been a few announcements.

The pre-order price break is about to conclude.
"As Gemini is now in production, the price of the Gemini perks on Indiegogo will be going up to USD $499 for the WiFi and USD $599 for the 4G+WiFi Gemini perk. Perk prices will be changing on 9th of February 2018. Anybody wishing to contribute to the Gemini campaign at the current perk prices should do so before 9th of February 2018."

Of the 12 keyboard language versions shown of the ~35 keyboard language versions claimed:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34648&st=0
There will be only two versions (so far?). UK and US.
https://geminiplanet.com/2018/01/23/exclusive-all-gemini-keyboard-layouts-finalised/

The US keyboard has changed the most. It now has a vertical Enter key just like the UK one. The differences between the UK and US versions are subtle and mostly deal with where @, `~ and \| are located.

I can't seem to find the @ key on the UK layout.
I can't seem to find the ' or " keys on either layout.

On the UK layout, @ is fn+K I think, and single quote is non-shifted tilde.
On the US layout, single quote is FN+M and double is FN+L.

I think the layouts both have exactly the same number of glyphs, but those on FN+K, FN+L, FN+M, FN+1, FN+2, Shift+2, FN+3, Shift+3 and the two face symbols on the button right of L are shuffled between them. All of the same glyphs, but not necessarily in the same order.

Well, with the price increase I will be waiting to see what happens with the Pyra. Probably not going to get one. Edit: Not getting a Gemini, that is. Still an awesome palmtop from what I can tell.

Huge update today, looks like they made the first 1000 units which will be shiiping soon.

Huge update today, looks like they made the first 1000 units which will be shiiping soon.

And with an order number in the 2300 range, I won't be getting mine anytime soon.

Do we have anyone on here who will be in the 1st batch?

Code:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/updates/all

New update and it is all about Linux.

New update and it is all about Linux.
Ftfy
[doublepost=1519096544,1519096470][/doublepost]Or not. Stupid broken interwebs improvements.
[doublepost=1519096849][/doublepost]Sailfish seems like a good idea. Debian is also nice.

Not really - I had done it as code on purpose because I can't stand how this forum software strips the URL out of the message - removing any context it could convey - to insert a generic "media link" reference that may or may not be relevant.

If I paste a URL into a message, I want it to STAY a URL. So, yeah, in my opinion the result of what you did is the opposite of 'fixing'.

This thing is becoming more and more interesting... this could eventually become my first ever android device.

The presence of Linux support is good, but I never seen a very useful touchscreen interface for those environments... so it is a great plus to have the possibility to install easily a dual boot configuration

Not really - I had done it as code on purpose because I can't stand how this forum software strips the URL out of the message - removing any context it could convey - to insert a generic "media link" reference that may or may not be relevant.

If I paste a URL into a message, I want it to STAY a URL. So, yeah, in my opinion the result of what you did is the opposite of 'fixing'.
You must have missed what I posted right after that, where I agreed with you. Still, the ugly mess it makes is easier to follow as a link than trying to highlight the whole url and nothing else with touchscreen devices. Maybe put the link in text, like this?

Back