Gemini Cosmo - On Indiegogo

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by vcoleiro1, Nov 5, 2018.

1. NetBLOKS

NetBLOKS Finally on-board

Yeah, me too, since my Gemini is really worn out.
    The hinges have cracked and are barely holding together an the device gets really hot and cold boots if it got no 3G or LTE connection.
    I did not drop or abuse it, I just use it very, very much.
    The device is not build to last forever but it really made my life easier.
    And the Cosmo got all the features I missed in the Gemini.

2. Nintendo

Nintendo Nintendo Switch

Omg

NetBLOKS likes this.
  3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

There are many devs with prototypes out already? Around 15 prototypes are out in the wild, approximately...?

4. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

There may be confusion between dev/alpha/early prototypes and the early production/gama/late prototypes for the prototype pre-pre-orders...?

Swordfish II and levi like this.
  5. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

You mean the incomplete ones with hardware issues that have been out for more than a year at this point? Yeah I'm aware.

I was referring to the prototype preorders like @Grench. Those were the ones in "testing" and "going out shortly" 9 months ago that still haven't gone out.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 19, 2019, Original Post Date: Aug 19, 2019 ---
    Exactly. My post 9 months ago and again now is about your prototype.

6. Wally

Wally I am a banana! Staff Member

Pretty sure ED doesn't want to deal with the bureaucracy when Grench complains about the incomplete state of things, he wants him to have a somewhat stable experience without all the hardware nasties.

The units you know about are the ones that have had known issues from production, we're currently heading into mass production now, some places (The Gemini for example) may have more R&D Funding and people to help alleviate the issues we've been experiencing but it's really only ED, Nikolaus and a bunch of volunteers, all with other jobs.

I understand your frustration (9th in the pre-preorder Queue and gone through several "phases of Pyra extremism" but patience is a virtue, we'll see the Pyra in the near future and i'll be thankful extra time has been done in R&D to prevent the thing breaking when it gets to us.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Swordfish II and NetBLOKS like this.
  7. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Yes. For the Prototype pre-pre orders it is understood that we will get, 'pre production final quality working hardware samples'. Having the OS and software being a bit dodgy still is part of the deal, but the hardware itself should be near enough to exact production spec. It looks like we're nearly there, maybe. Just time to assemble and test maybe...?

Depends a bit on whether the other prototype orderers are going to hold to special one off case colors. Personally, I am good with the granite grey plastic color from the last case test batch if ED feels they are mechanically sound.

Getting so close... back to waiting.

Wally, NetBLOKS and rSl like this.
  8. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I'm not sure if ED is waiting for the plastics that include the vents to aerate the heatsink or not. I'd personally consider them potentially quite an important part of the released device, although it's fair to say they don't stop the device running, it just might not run as fast for quite as long, if they have any appreciable effect at all.

There's also some aesthetics he talked about, but unless they're mahoosive ones, I'd have thought that wouldn't stop paid prototypes going out.

9. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

Right? He did a whole big picture thing and said they were all assembled.

But still haven't gone out.

10. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

You mean those early versions of the cases without properly working shoulder buttons? Yeah, those went to devs working on the drivers and OS I believe. Keep in mind that any project like this has several waves of prototyping. With the Pyra, we simply get insights into that process that we don't see on any other product. If it feels slow, that is because it is and always has been a more or less hobby project done on the side. We all knew this going in.

11. ArchiMark

ArchiMark Silicon Valley Digerati & Pretty Nice Guy

Cosmo's are in production now.....first batch will ship in about 2 weeks...

Meanwhile, my Gemini works great and looks like new after a year......

But looking forward to seeing my Cosmo by end of September.....

:)

*** And note that today is last day to back Cosmo on IndieGoGo at perk price......

crazyhorse likes this.