Pirates! Homebrew

Pickle

Mega GP Mania

Well as you can see above, im making progress. The navagation mode is coming together. I fixed the crew collision detection, added a town (just a gfx), fixed numerous other bugs.
Im very happy how well the transition to ship->crew and crew_ship works, I think ive fixed any wacky behavior in collisions.
I think im very close to starting on a GUI system for when you go into a town.

Will we be getting keyboard support? ;)

pirate.jpg

Was it you making this remake from a while back? If so its good to see progress being made, its a big project so keep at it!

Guyfawkes said:
Was it you making this remake from a while back? If so its good to see progress being made, its a big project so keep at it!
Yep it was me. Heres the orig. thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=31870&st=0

Looking at that i cant believe it's almost been a year. wow.

ship vs ship battles, hopefully someday. My goal is match the original specifcally the C64 version.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Wanna help with graphics :D

Just tell me if you need some tiles or backgrounds :D
Certainly! I will take all the graphics i can get.
I do have some from a project called hunt for gold, some of them I like others I dont. Like I like the ships so those can stay, anything on the screenshot Ive provided is fair game. Some things to add would be land tiles with tree's, swamps, things of that nature. Also could use shoals.
The current clouds stink, i mean i made them myself, how worse can it get. You dont even want to see my original ship gfx.

varioustimes said:
Im so pleased you re makeing it. :)
Will you need some music?
Sure I think I will, there are bigger problems to solve like a window system. If you want to do something, dont feel rushed. Thanks for the interest.

Latest update
Over the break I started getting ready for simple windows. The results are finally starting to show. I was going to put up a simple screenshot but imageshack is given me trouble.
Anyway you can think of my windows like a graphical square, which can contain a bitmap or a filled-in color for the background. This square will surrounded by a border (using the border someone gave me a while back). Then text will be on top of whatever the background is.

Right know I have the both background types working, and starting on the border. I can do the text, but I have to think of a way to get it to wrap nicely and not shoot out the side.
Lastly some windows will be able to take control to wait for user feedback. This shouldnt be too bad. I plan on giving the window routine complete control until a user interaction is recieved.

The biggest change though is was switching from a hardcoded paths to files to a config file. I think it turned out nicely. It will allow for switching of graphics quickly and settings quickly.

Alex. said:
Glad to hear this is still going on :) Keep up the good work!
Thanks! Its been enjoyable so that probally what keeps me going. Although it sometimes I have to force myself to start then it seems I cant stop.

Well here is the screenshot, ive given 3 examples of the windows I can do. As you can see the text shoots straight to the right. That needs to be fixed to wrap. The other big thing todo is UI with one window for feedback. But this is a good start.

(Just noticed the string descriptions are switched, just ignore)

The updates continues!

Windows UI is almost complete!

New stuff:
I have a pointer, certain windows wait until an option is selected from the text.
I can make any line selectable.
I can make string with variables (%1,%2,etc) and repace them dynamically in the program.
When the pointer hovers over a selectable line, it starts to flash/fade

Previous stuff:
Like before the background can be blank, a solid color, or a preloaded bitmap
The border's automatically render around the size of the window
When the text is rendered it wraps depending on the size of the window
Windows can be allowed to have its size specified or in the case of a bitmap background use the bitmap as the size.

There are a couple quirks left, but the guts are there.

Nice work Pickle, sounds like things are really coming along well! Thanks for taking the time to do updates too, I love reading about other peoples' projects - it gives me a good excuse to avoid finishing my own :D

fishybawb said:
Nice work Pickle, sounds like things are really coming along well! Thanks for taking the time to do updates too, I love reading about other peoples' projects - it gives me a good excuse to avoid finishing my own :D
Thanks for reading it,
I also enjoy reading progress reports/change logs.

I spent some more time on the code this weekend.

The windows I think are done. Most of what I did this weekend was getting the current code to work with the GP2X (meaing no crashes) and it runs fairly well.
The code has acutally been crashing at a specific put for awhile and I just decided to go back and rewrite it.
Through the process Ive been wondering if scaling from 640x480 really looks that well. The current size of the fonts makes it unreadable, it probally would improve by making it larger and making it bold.
Tha game runs fine at 320x240, it just seems some of the graphics are too big, like the ship.

I also fixed a fun memory leak, its pretty cool to see your app gobble up 100's of megabytes of memory. The problem was when I converted text to bitmaps. In the game loop I render each line to a graphic, well I never released the previous render, so each loop I would create another copy without deleteing any of the previous ones. I think you get the idea. Memory use in windows is little less then 8 mb, constantly.

I feel that ive built up a good code base for anything the game does. Starting with non-moving and moving graphics, Windows with UI, frame limiting/counting.

Next I want to start some restructuring. I want to use the windows to mimic the intro menu system. I want to pull the navagation code into its own loop and not in the render loop. (Then I can render as fast as possible, which wil give me an idea of how the game perfoms as I add new stuff.) I hope at this point it will stat looking more like a game. Maybe I can also get a alpha version out to masses.

Back