Pirates Homebrew (the Editor!)

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Hey all,

Heres the latest update regarding my main project. I have been working on a windows based editor, which I think will help me create a configuration file easily for the main application. It also will make this program easlily modable (if thats a word). The editor will also have a map editor once I have these dialogs debugged and working with each other. Map will broken into "Grids" of some size "Tile".

Ive broken the game down into 4 parts. Each can be viewed by its own tab and then each has its own create dialog by selecting the config button. There is a another intermidate selection dialog I havnt shown.

What im looking for is feedback on the editable content. For example should the ship type have another attribute, maybe I might have missed. Another exmaple would be, should I have a color assigned to each nation? The idea is copy the orignal game, not create new features. Any opinions are welcome!

Main
editormainea5.png

Time Periods:
editortimeperiodza8.png

Time periods determine a year and will effect when towns exisit and what state they are in.
Nations
editornationvi7.png

Nations can be assoicated with ships(does a nation use them), and with towns.
Ships
editorshipro0.png

Towns
editortownvg5.png

Looks like you've covered everything I can think of... I do think different colours to represent the nations could be a good idea, depending on how you're going to use the flags. Are they going to be visible above each town on the "overview" map? On the game map too? I'm not sure if some ports of the original game handled this differently. IIRC, you mentioned basing it on the C64 version. I'll have to give that a try to see if it's the same as the NES version I'm most familiar with.

Anyway, nice work, anything that'll speed up the creation of data files is ALWAYS a good thing :)

fishybawb said:
Looks like you've covered everything I can think of... I do think different colours to represent the nations could be a good idea, depending on how you're going to use the flags. Are they going to be visible above each town on the "overview" map? On the game map too? I'm not sure if some ports of the original game handled this differently. IIRC, you mentioned basing it on the C64 version. I'll have to give that a try to see if it's the same as the NES version I'm most familiar with.

Anyway, nice work, anything that'll speed up the creation of data files is ALWAYS a good thing :)
The flags as is would be large flags that were used for displaying the ship's nationality. I have a set from Hunt For Gold.
I was thinking maybe assigning a color to maybe use as a small flag on the towns in the navagtion mode, or in when the nation name is used in the news.
Most of my experince is based on the C64/PC Gold versions. I have tried the NES and GEN versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back