Release Openpirates

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Well ive finally gone and done it :)

This is the first public release of my openPirates project I started years ago when I first found my gp2x (meant for the gp2x, but seems pandora got the first shot). Its been a long time (darn ports ;-)) and its still not fully finished (alpha status) but maybe some of you that know what goes into coding and homebrew will appreciate this. Please fell free to give any input and feedback. Im planning to setup the source under the gplv3 at sourceforge.net.

What works: start up menu, the navgation mode (with my lame map), enter one town, browse through the town menus.
Theres a bit of documentation in the appdata folder, take a look.

http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,29,109

about:
openPirates is a fan game inspired by the classic game 'Sid Meier's Pirates!' and 'Pirates! Gold' by Microprose.
The purpose of this project is to capture the original feeling of the original, but while doing so try to improve and refine
gameplay. openPirates is also designed to be cross-platform and run on any system (any system that support SDL libraries).
The project is also being designed to make game data user configurable, meaning users can create entirly different worlds.

Update:
As mentioned here is the project page with source access : https://sourceforge.net/projects/openpirates/

Way to go Pickle! I'm sure there are a fair few fans of Sid Meyer's Pirates! fans that are gonna love this ;)

Hooka said:
Way to go Pickle! I'm sure there are a fair few fans of Sid Meyer's Pirates! fans that are gonna love this ;)

Hope so ;-)

Just if anyone wonders, the tiles are missmatched to the map. I used some tiles from evildragon and just used on my dummy map, and of course they dont look right. But thats somthing that can be fixed over time.

Theres also much more done underneath that cant be seen without looking at the source. I pretty much have all the data side of things done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, Pirates is such an excellent game. Ok, admit it - what eejit thinks the C64 version ISN'T the best?

Does it support this swashbuckling peripheral?

piratekeyboard.jpg

I still have to try this, but I'd just like to say that it's awesome to see that this project is still alive... one of the more tantalising never-quite-saw-the-light-of-day things for the GP2x...

Tobriand said:
I still have to try this, but I'd just like to say that it's awesome to see that this project is still alive... one of the more tantalising never-quite-saw-the-light-of-day things for the GP2x...

Well it still could happen ;-) It can run on the gp2x/wiz, just things need to be adjusted to the smaller size.

Last edited by a moderator:
to anyone compiling from the source theres a pretty hefty commit today that finishes a rework on the options and a options menu where options can be changed. Although the changes arnt persistent (yet).

there will be a new version once the archive it updated. version 0.0.0.2 (svn 9)

this build has revamped options complete with a menu to change the settings.
all settings are saved back to file once the program is being terminated.
also fixed a problem if a game was started, then quit, and a new one started.

you must delete the data.conf and option.conf or things will be messed up (if you ran the previous version)

Another commit:

Doxygen documentation started
Sailho menu coded, and simple random triggering.
Small change to cwind (formally cvelocity)
CSim is now CSimulate
Refactored file paths to be read from where the program is executed
Fixed one small memory leak (via valgrind)
Various other changes

Not a lot of changes for gameplay, but its one more step towards ship battles. One thing im pretty happy with is that the current code I think it pretty stable.
Id really like to be done with the CWind portion, I think its probably the more difficult part. Probably will see tweaking for a long time even after its finished.

Edit: Also started adding (learning) doxygen, im really liking the output it generates. Going to take a bit of time though to get everything documented.

I always meant to track down a copy of Sid Meier's Pirates! for PSP, so I'll be sure to look back into this a bit later on.

Back