Pipes

Nagelfar

Pipes is your well known game of turning individual tiles until all the pipes are connected.
I have this game on my cellphone and it is an very addictive little timewaster, so I wanted to have it on my Gp2x, too.
Unfortunatly my spare time is limited, so this is WIP but I'm getting towards a release.
Right now there is Easy and Hard (not really THAT hard) puzzles and 2 game modes (Time Attack and Minimal Moves). I think I'll implement highscore lists and the possibility to continue games if interrupted.
I'm open to any other suggestions on what to include!
The game is fully skin/themeable so if you feel motivated to make a skin then contact me for details!
Two screenshots:
alv0qa3mvgaqgbiwa.png

alv0qa0swul4qglt6.png

Nice work. Thank you for your efforts. I can see this being a favorite of many. Looking forward to the release.

nice one mate! I was wondering when somebody would request a game like this! Really cool.

purple_goat posted on Feb 15 2007 at 09:02 PM said:
please make it have high-scores

oh, and heres an icon (in advance B), if you don't like it- don't use it -but I think it's damn good :D )
pipes2x.png

-purple_goat
Hehe cool, I'll probably include it :)

If anyone is interested, people already made 2 cool looking skins, can be seen here:
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=46221#46221

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't gotten to actually try this out on the GP2X, but here's my skin. Also did a title screen.

title.png

pipes-v1-green.png

pipes-v1-red.png

Also, I shifted the menu on the title screen up a bit to accommodate my skin. ;)

It looks like Pipes resizes the skins to fit certain board sizes? The only problem with that is software doesn't resize images intelligently. How about having multiple skin files, and load up the appropriately sized piece during runtime (instead of resizing them in the code).

Just my suggestions. I imagine that Pipes is only a minor project for you. I'm sure you don't want to make this into a massive affair. :)

saehn posted on Feb 16 2007 at 08:28 PM said:
I haven't gotten to actually try this out on the GP2X, but here's my skin. Also did a title screen.

Also, I shifted the menu on the title screen up a bit to accommodate my skin. ;)

It looks like Pipes resizes the skins to fit certain board sizes? The only problem with that is software doesn't resize images intelligently. How about having multiple skin files, and load up the appropriately sized piece during runtime (instead of resizing them in the code).

Just my suggestions. I imagine that Pipes is only a minor project for you. I'm sure you don't want to make this into a massive affair. :)
Good job, well done as always :)
No, this is not going to be a massive affair, just something I want to have for myself to play on the train and I've been working on and off for some time now...
Right now there's no resizing going on right now, 9x9 fixed but that will probably change in the future, I can't tell yet.
Is this WIP or already finished?
If finished I'd like to have the letters like so, please:
alw5isl3oddu5ihpw.gif

alw5isoufx8awzjuc.gif

alw5isrpj1xbd73n8.gif

alw5isvdg3o795w6s.gif

This is because of a little animation I want to do with the title screen.

OK, so for everyone who is interested, this is how the game works:
1. little Introanimation, letters appear from the bottom (one at a time) until it looks like this.
alx18907igi3pglrx.png

Press Start, the "Pipes" goes up and menu appears, from the bottom, too:
alx19cts45vorgx8d.png

The Menu doesn't have to stay this way but right know it works fine. You can switch between Easy and Hard and chose Time and choose Time or Move Game or exit the game.

Difference between Time and Move: either your time or the number of moves (how often you turn a Tile) is taken.
Looks like this on Timegame:
alx1av3etbdez2vjx.png

If anyone comes up with a better layout...I couldn't *g*

If the game is done there is a Victory message, looks pretty shitty right now:
alx1h0bn8owv0xc1p.png

If you have a new Highscore you can enter your name (max. 8 Letters or Numbers):
alx1hmr8ygd8b6ngd.png

Very boring right now, does its work

Then, the Highscores look like this:
alx1ifwdon9bevi2l.png

After that you start a new game, thats it.

Any questions, post away!

Hi everybody,

I sent out the codes today to all people that supported the game in any way, if anyone didn't receive his code please contact me!

Nagelfar posted on Mar 7 2007 at 08:49 PM said:
Nagelfar posted on Feb 26 2007 at 12:01 AM said:
Hi everybody,

I sent out the codes today to all people that supported the game in any way, if anyone didn't receive his code please contact me!
New version online, login with your user/code:
http://www.nagelfar.com/pipes/download.php
So, everybody who made a skin, please listen up: I'd like to offer your skins for download to everybody at http://www.nagelfar.com/pipes/download.php
If you want to offer your skin please send the complete skin incl. readme.txt in a zip File to [myusername]ATgmailDOTcom.
Your skin has to contain:
active.png
inactive.png
cursor.png
background.png
readme.txt

thx in advance :)

Looking great. I remember I played a wierder version of this when I was little. You had to connect the pipes as the water rushed through them. Heard of it?

Faraz Parsa posted on Mar 8 2007 at 06:24 AM said:
Looking great. I remember I played a wierder version of this when I was little. You had to connect the pipes as the water rushed through them. Heard of it?
Yeah, I remember it, it is similar but not the same, check out the Demo, guess you'll like it :)

Get the update in the download area!
*) highscorename Input now much clearer, use START or END + Button A to finish input!
*) stick handling should now be near to perfect
*) fixed HARD modus
*) on skin selection show skin name
*) titlescreen now uses saehn's much better gfx

So, I updated the Demo, Handling is now the same as in the Full Version, so it is much better no. I also changed the titlescreen to use Saehns graphics (just as in the full version) looks much better :)
Removed the bugs that made the game crash frequently.
Skins are configurable, change Font, Font Size and Font Position as you want.
I'll give you more information as soon as I release the next Full Version (soon!)
Download at: http://www.nagelfar.com/pipes/download.php

get the java runtime here

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,14,1841

then extract it and put the 2 folders (jamvm, adn jamvm-cp) to your root....

Dl pipes, then, extract it to the jamvm folder, for some reason if i extract it to my desktop, then drag it to the jamvm folder it wont work, so make sure to extract it to the folder, if you did everything right, it should be in

/jamvm->pipes->pipes.sh.gpe

then try to run it

Back