Pipes 2.0 And It's Free

Nagelfar

Well, thx to a guy named Evil Dragon it seems I'll get my DPad although donations have been quite weak (a little over 10 Euos so far). Now, this is very good and everything BUT I also received my first postcard with a beer label last week and those two things together convinced me to release Pipes 2.0 (and all future versions) for free. That doesn't mean though that you shouldn't donate if you like it or send that postcard with a beer label ;)
There's been quite some improvements, most notable the size of the board can now be changed between 9 and 15 in width and height and let me tell you, a board sized 15 is tough. The Highscores should work with this just fine but I have only done so much testing.
I also added sounds (no music but that is next) and all the skins can now be configured as you like them e.g. which font they should use. Just check out the properties file in the skin dir, you'll see it's not hard.
There's a slight issue with speed e.g. the tiles turning a little slower than they did before but I'll work on that asap.
Unfortunatly old versions of the game are not compatible to the new version so please delete the Pipes directory on your SD Card before copying the new one over!

If you are interested, the download is (as always) at http://www.nagelfar.com/pipes/

Installation
---------------------------------------------

This is a game written in JAVA. You need the JAVA runtime to play it.
Get it at http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,14,1841

To install the runtime extract the two folders (jamvm and java-cp) to the ROOT of your SD Card.
Don't install it anywhere else it HAS TO BE IN ROOT!

Afterwards extract the Pipes directory into the jamvm directory. Don't extract it to any other dir and
make sure to preserve this exact name e.g. Pipes not pipes not PIPES just Pipes.
Run the game with the included shell script.

Gameplay
---------------------------------------------
There's two modes, TIME and MOVE mode. In both your goal is, to connect all the pipes in one way or another
to the pipe in the middle until all of them are connected to each other.
To move the cursor use the stick, to turn the tiles use A and B.
If you think this is a boring or crap game, well, just don't fucking play it.

This game supports skins. If you want to install a new skin put it into ./ressources/gfx/skins. You can switch
skins using the L and R shoulder button while you are in the main menu.

To change volume use Volume +/-. All the soundeffects can be changed, just change the wav files at ./ressources/sounds.

For questions or donations please contact Nagelfar at much99ÄTyahooDOTcom.

can't seem to get this to work? I launch the gpe then it blinks and quits. Any ideas what could be wrong?

purple_goat said:
Hope it is easier to install (couldn't get the last one working :( )

I don't get it, you copy a folder to your SD Card and run it, how much easier could it be *g*?

hitbyambulance said:
Nagelfar said:
BUT I also received my first postcard with a beer label last week
i thought you would have gotten more by now - and that mine was the first and only? how sad..

Yeah, only yours and as nobody else asked for my adress it will probably be the only one. I gave up on asking people for something, it just doesn't work if you aren't either developing an emu or some crazy dynarec stuff I can't even start to wrap my brains around. There are some people who at least give feedback and support homebrew but those I can count on one hand but to be honest, I don't care anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I received this email today, just in case someone is wondering why I (and other homebrew developers) might sometimes get frustrated. I deliberately left out the name, I don't want to encourage any flaming but I'd still like to comment on the points made:

Hi

I am sorry to hear you didn't get any real feedback or donates for Pipes. But to be brutally honest, I am not at all surprised, for the following reasons:

1. User's don't read instructions, not even for installation! So most are going to install it under a /Games/ folder, and/or without installing the JavaVM, find it doesn't run, and then give-up without trying anything further.

2. I don't recall you including any link to where the Java VM can be downloaded from. Looking for it may be too much hassle for some users.

Well it says so on the Homepage, in different Threads in the Forum and in the readme, which for whatever reason is not in the zip file :-/

3. Actually, I don't recall there being any instructions with it, so I had *no* idea how to play. I did google, and find out, but again too much trouble for most users...

I didn't think the concept of the game would be so challenging that you'd have to google for instructions, but thx for the point, I'll include a short howto.

4. And this may be harsh, but Pipes doesn't seem like a fun puzzle game - just undirected & boring IMHO. Users ain't going to donate for a crap game... :-(

Jeeeez, yes, that IS harsh. Granted, no 3D Graphics, no choosing between Rocket Launcher and BFG and no blood and gore, sry for that. And "crap game"? Yeah, that is VERY harsh. Thx a lot.

5. Oh, and yes, not many users donate or give feedback to begin with. But I think the above reasons greatly reduced those who might have done so. Perhaps you could have encouraged feedback by providing a code to those who give feedback, to unlock more/bigger levels or hints on how to access 'secrets'?

Well, actually, that's what I did, I sent out codes which gave access to the full game without all the restrictions and an online highscore list. Granted, not much but hell what do you want? More levels? There's unlimited levels in this game as they are computed randomly. I raised the grid size to 15x15 in Version 2.0. What "secrets" do you put in a game like this? I planned on making a competition but seeing the feedback I honestly don't consider on wasting any time on it.

You don't have to like these reasons, but they might just explain your Pipes experience.

I don't like them, that is true. I appreciate the feedback, as negative at it is, it is better than nothing but it confirmed my position that Homebrew doesn't stand too much of a chance on the GP2x.

I hope you don't drop the GP2X, cos you'd obviously be a loss to the platform.

Why would I be a loss? Because of my crap game? Because I try to push JAVA which apparently nobody likes here because everybody says its slow and complicated? Because I complain so much?

Sry, as honest as your critique may be it doesn't really lift my spirits.

No offence or anything, but the email has some good points if it wasn't for some people telling me that this requires java runtime I would have probably forgotten all about it. The only mention of it was on the first page of your homepage, which I barely glanced at and went right onto the download page (and missed it in the process). There was no readme, and absolutely no instructions on how to install/play the game. It's not that the game is terrible or crap (I think it's great!, especially random generated levels) but lack of installation instructions really doesn't help...

And please don't get frustrated with some users, not all of us are able to donate/drink beer (myself included), not to mention there are some really big developments going on right now which might bring your game down in the excitement list.

I do hope however you continue your work as it is great and new features (music) are always welcome! :D

Your game is fine but I wouldn't count on loads of donations or feedback unless you produce emulators - that's just the way the scene is.

If you're doing this for the money, you're going to be disappointed - you shouldn't expect any.

You also shouldn't expect emails like the one you got though.

I've found it puts people off when you have to install another package. I had the same problem with the X server and I'm ashamed to say I still haven't got round to installing Java, Fenix or Python.

I'm just in it because I like developing for the GP2X, I treat any donations as a bonus and I haven't got a lot more than you and not for just one game (but may be my stuff's crap :))

P.S. While I'm here I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who has given me donations.

pipes just isnt my thing but I love your version of boomshine. one of the reasons emulator devs get more donations is because they allow them to play a variety of their favorite games. while releasing one game and especially a puzzle game based on another game if someone didnt like the original they wont like this and thus won't donate.

I don't donate much just cause I don't have much extra money. so far ive only donated for vobbo's pcengine emu (where are you vobbo?) and samuraix for his openbor port. If a dev is putting a lot of work into a game and i really like it and its seems they really want donations i would donate.

also i try to help in other ways like beta testing, and positive or at least constructive comments.

Parkydr said:
If you're doing this for the money, you're going to be disappointed - you shouldn't expect any.
Yeah, I'm doing this for the money, that's why I ask for 1 Euro or a postcard, I'll be filthy rich in no time :)

(but may be my stuff's crap :))

See, that's what I wanted to find out, does the community like my stuff but invest all their money in emulation or is my stuff crap 'cause then I can just stop doing what I'm doing.

Nagelfar said:
See, that's what I wanted to find out, does the community like my stuff but invest all their money in emulation or is my stuff crap 'cause then I can just stop doing what I'm doing.
So you either get money or your stuff is crap? That's an abrupt way to put it, isn't it?

I personally enjoy your games, your Boomshine the most atm, the more I play it the more it grows on me. You should definitely keep making games, but not because I or someone else tells you to, but because you enjoy making them. I understand though how inflammatory e-mails can put you off, like the one you shared with us a while back. Just try to focus on the positive side, and realize that most if not all homebrew game makers get no donations at all.

Alex. said:
Nagelfar said:
So you either get money or your stuff is crap? That's an abrupt way to put it, isn't it?

Jeeeez, no, lets not start this again, shall we? You were part of the discussion when it first came up why now misunderstand me now?

Nagelfar said:
Alex. said:
Nagelfar said:

Jeeeez, no, lets not start this again, shall we? You were part of the discussion when it first came up why now misunderstand me now?

Oh damn... my bad, sorry about this, I actually misread what you said. Sorry, my mind's in many places right now :(

Alex. said:
Nagelfar said:
Alex. said:
Nagelfar said:

Oh damn... my bad, sorry about this, I actually misread what you said. Sorry, my mind's in many places right now :(

Yeah, better do something useful and get the new Boomshine2x Version ;)

Back