Release Picodrive Released

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/PicoDrive/PicoDrive_180beta2.pnd

This is not what I originally intended to release, but as I figured that my vision is taking ages to materialize I'm releasing what I have. This is built from the latest core code that is capable of 32x and SMS (with lots of internal changes from last Wiz version), but I had to disable 32x/SMS support as they are not really usable (hence the 'beta' tag). So current known issues are:

• no 32x/sms yet
  • no smooth scrolling in pal/50hz mode (still need add this to kernel/firmware)
  • forced vsync because of double buffering, so no way to disable frame limiter (again need to patch kernel)
  • occasional sound glitches (also firmware problem)
  • no use of hardware scaler yet (needs work)

That aside, Genesis/MegaDrive support should be solid, also Sega/Mega CD (needs BIOS in <sd card>/pandora/appdata/PicoDrive/ directory).
Enjoy!

EDIT: updated to beta2 which is beta1 with fixed readme.

Thanks Notaz!

Shame that 32x has been removed for now as i thought some games such as Virtua Racing Deluxe were running brilliantly (providing you Overclocked upto 850Mhz!)

This is a great 1st release :D

PS. Are there any improvements over your beta0 pre release?

Cheers Notaz, Can't wait to check this out and there was me thinking of hitting the sack. Will look forward to 32x/sms support but plenty to get on with in the mean time thanks :)

Oh while I think on what bios's do I need and what do I call them? and also where do I put the roms? Thanks and sorry for being a noob. I know nothing :)

puppydee -- see the documentation supplied in the pnd. (in xfce Documentation -> "readme" (he didn't name it "Picodrive readme" yet), or in minimenu just hit Y on picodrive.

jeff

skeezix said:
puppydee -- see the documentation supplied in the pnd. (in xfce Documentation -> "readme" (he didn't name it "Picodrive readme" yet), or in minimenu just hit Y on picodrive.

jeff

Well spotted, I did look in documentation but didn't notice the readme at the bottom. I've got it running now anyway but thanks oh and notaz this is really good and with the option to make the screen bigger, some of which are pretty much full screen and nice that you included a nice set of instructions for us noobs, hopefully other devs will provide them to with theres, saves me some grey hairs and posts in the help section, thanks again bud :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a Pandora yet, but I want to add my thanks to you for releasing this. I'm a perfectionist and know how painful it can be when rushed into things, but in the case of something like this I wholeheartedly assure you that people benefit greatly from being able to use your 'imperfect' release, and no one in their right mind would EVER criticise you for any failings in this release. notaz, on behalf of everyone, including those who cant actually benefit from this - I salute you. Please don't be afraid to share future updates with us.

Pandora will truly be my first Sega owned system. I went from Atari 2600-NES-SNES, but never played much Sega, so thank you for something new and different.

Granted I was forced to play some Tecmo Football in college, but that was about it.

Peace & Pandora!

Link

Thanks so much Notaz. PicoDrive is my favourite emu on GP2X, Wiz and PSP. (If I'm not mistaken, I think I also had a version on an Ipaq back in the day!) My Pandy hasn't arrived yet, but this will be the first thing I play. I appreciate you are still in Beta, and there are also issues on the console firmware, but it was very good of you to support us early. Much appreciated! :D

Thanks Notaz ,pico is also my fav emulator on the psp apart from gba great work and kudos.

Thanks for taking the plunge and releasing this early - I've been looking forward to a bit of Mega Drive action on the Pandora. If SMS and 32x emulation turn out as good as the Mega Drive already is, we're really in for a treat. Great work!

This is really cool. The 3.2 scaling fills my screen nicely. Virtua Racing easily manages full speed on every track where my GP2X could only just about manage it on the first track. And this emulator reallys shows the convinence of having the gaming controls and a full keyboard. No need to remember any bizzare combinations to save and load states - just map em to s and l on the keyboard. I also have fast forward mapped to space, which allows me to very easily skip through the intos and straight into the game :)

Big thanks

(edit: nevermind!)

Back