Release Picodrive Released

Noisome said:
WizardStan said:
Noisome said:
I run "sudo picodrive.pnd" and it runs. Strange.
Very strange. Did you have any problems with first boot?

I did have problems with first boot and had to create another user. Is this an issue and should I use the first user created?
Thought so :)
You're having permission issues. You can't write to files and directories created for the first user since you're the second user. Your best bet would be to reflash the firmware and try first boot again and sticking to a single user. You could recover this one, but it's probably not worth the time and effort, easier to just start over.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Noisome said:
WizardStan said:
Noisome said:
I run "sudo picodrive.pnd" and it runs. Strange.
Very strange. Did you have any problems with first boot?

I did have problems with first boot and had to create another user. Is this an issue and should I use the first user created?
Thought so :)
You're having permission issues. You can't write to files and directories created for the first user since you're the second user. Your best bet would be to reflash the firmware and try first boot again and sticking to a single user. You could recover this one, but it's probably not worth the time and effort, easier to just start over.

I'm going to try a few more things to fix it, but strange that its only this one that I'm having problems with. I thought it would only write to /mnt/utmp and the SD card? Both of these have write permissions and shouldn't be an issue. Also, you have a linky for the reflash of the firmware? Or do I need to recompile it? I've been looking all over for it anyway, so it would be great if you know where its at.

Thanks!

Reflashy the firmware
I can't comment on exactly why this in particular is causing the problem, all I know is the symptom you described is a permission error caused when one user tries to access a file or directory created by a different user. On a regular Linux system you could just move all permissions and delete the offending user, but I'm not certain how that if that would mess with the Pandora's settings, hence the reflash suggestion.

What I mean is that the /tmp/pndrun* file may belong to the old user, hence not being able to write it with the new one. If that's the case, the contents are stale and not related to the current problem.

Here is my /tmp/pndrunpicodrive file (this one does not run):

Code:
in fork!
mountpoint: /media/mmcblk0p1
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 120: [: !: integer expression expected
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.
Filetype is Squashfs
sudo mount -t squashfs  /dev/loop0 /mnt/pnd/picodrive
mounting union!
Filesystem is vfat
oshide: open /dev/tty: No such device or address
oshide: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10704000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0
oshide: display is 800x480
/dev/fb0: 800x480@16
fbdev initialized.
# drv probed binds name
munmap tcache: 0
found skin.txt
input: failed to find devices to read
open /dev/tty: No such device or address
fixing yoffset.. ok
app exited
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/picodrive': Device or resource busy
rm: cannot remove `/mnt/utmp/picodrive': Is a directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/picodrive/.wh..wh.plnk': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/picodrive/.wh..wh..tmp': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/picodrive/': Directory not empty

Usage:
 losetup loop_device                             give info
 losetup -a | --all                              list all used
 losetup -d | --detach <loopdev> [<loopdev> ...] delete
 losetup -f | --find                             find unused
 losetup -c | --set-capacity <loopdev>           resize
 losetup -j | --associated <file> [-o <num>]     list all associated with <file>
 losetup [ options ] {-f|--find|loopdev} <file>  setup

Options:
 -e | --encryption <type> enable data encryption with specified <name/num>
 -h | --help              this help
 -o | --offset <num>      start at offset <num> into file
      --sizelimit <num>   loop limited to only <num> bytes of the file
 -p | --pass-fd <num>     read passphrase from file descriptor <num>
 -r | --read-only         setup read-only loop device
      --show              print device name (with -f <file>)
 -v | --verbose           verbose mode

rm: missing operand
Try `rm --help' for more information.
cleanup done

Here is /tmp/pndrunsnes9x.skeezix.alpha.out (this one runs), I did not select a ROM file to run at start:
Code:
in fork!
mountpoint: /media/mmcblk0p1
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 120: [: !: integer expression expected
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
Filetype is ISO
sudo mount /dev/loop2 /mnt/pnd/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/
mounting union!
Filesystem is vfat
PWD at top /mnt/utmp/snes9x.skeezix.alpha
Found stored dirpath /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/Emulators/snes/roms
/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/Emulators/snes/roms /mnt/utmp/snes9x.skeezix.alpha
ROM filename is 
/mnt/utmp/snes9x.skeezix.alpha
PWD pre-run /mnt/utmp/snes9x.skeezix.alpha
cat: args.txt: No such file or directory
././runsnes9x-parag0n.sh: line 47: [: =: unary operator expected
Rate: 29300, Buffer size: 512, 16-bit: yes, Stereo: yes, Encoded: no
Error opening: 
app exited
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/snes9x.skeezix.alpha': Device or resource busy
rm: cannot remove `/mnt/utmp/snes9x.skeezix.alpha': Is a directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/.wh..wh.plnk': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/.wh..wh..tmp': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/': Directory not empty
cleanup done

Noisome said:

Code:
Looks like your udev scripts got broken, it would be easiest to reflash.

notaz said:
Noisome said:

Code:
Looks like your udev scripts got broken, it would be easiest to reflash.

I reflashed and did hotfix #2 and everything works now. Thanks for the help guys.

I was trying to play a Sega CD game... later I realised that all the mp3s were in mono instead of stereo. So I used iTunes to convert them to stereo. Now for some reason the mp3s won't start unless I go into picodrives emulator menu and then back into the game... kinda weird...

HackModford said:
I was trying to play a Sega CD game... later I realised that all the mp3s were in mono instead of stereo. So I used iTunes to convert them to stereo. Now for some reason the mp3s won't start unless I go into picodrives emulator menu and then back into the game... kinda weird...
Hmh, can you pass me a sample to check out?

I noticed a problem with Sonic CD. In the beginning of a level I hear a burst of static in the soundtrack. Then while playing the CD music will just stop sometimes. If I pause the emu to the menu, then unpause the music starts again.

How would the cycle-hogging background processes react to being reniced to oblivion? How about giving the emulators Very High Priority? I also thought about something like "game mode", which uses cryopid or similar to freeze certain background processes when a game requiring this mode runs, then resumes them when the the game application closes.

DaveC said:
I noticed a problem with Sonic CD. In the beginning of a level I hear a burst of static in the soundtrack. Then while playing the CD music will just stop sometimes. If I pause the emu to the menu, then unpause the music starts again.
Yeah this has already been reported, will check.

DaveC said:

Strange, I don't believe I have that problem on mine... I'll edit once I've checked.

EDIT: Yea, I don't get any such errors. You have the MP3s in the same folder as the ROM, right? Are you sure you don't have a bad rip?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
DaveC said:

Strange, I don't believe I have that problem on mine... I'll edit once I've checked.

EDIT: Yea, I don't get any such errors. You have the MP3s in the same folder as the ROM, right? Are you sure you don't have a bad rip?

-God Ginrai
MP3s and ROM is in same folder. Could be a bad rip although I don't remember it from before.

Back