Physical vs on screen keyboard

vatin

Still Fresh
How’s the accuracy and speed typing on the Pyra physical keyboard vs typical on screen keyboard on smartphones?

Edit:
Coming from a person who have never had any mobile devices with hardware keyboards

Last edited:
Yeah, you don't get that tactile feedback with an on-screen keyboard, so accuracy and muscle memory are out the window.

I'd challenge you to find a good example of someone doing any kind of productive work using an on-screen keyboard.

Yeah, one has autocorrect and one doesn't. Can you guess which one it is?

Edit: Of course, in a comment about spelling, I had to misspell a word didn't I !?!

Last edited:
Yeah it's way better than a touchscreen, The Pyra keyboard is a bit more compact than the Pandora and that does have to make you a bit more precise, but the keypresses are a bit easier as it doesn't have a tough rubbery feel like the Pandora does. I'd argue about the keyboard layout being a bit odd, but that has created huge debates in the past.

I think if I REALLY tried, I could get to ~45WPM, Its hard to touch type with instant feedback like on my Galaxy Fold 3.. which I can easily get 60-65WPM on. Different typing experience I guess.

Keyboard does sound pretty good I've realized though!

Some people type insanely fast on on screen keyboards and might not be as fast on a small hardware keyboard.
However for things like typing code, where you need a lot of special characters, can benefit from keyboard shortcuts and can't rely as much on autocomplete, hardware keyboards are much better.

Some people type insanely fast on on screen keyboards and might not be as fast on a small hardware keyboard.
However for things like typing code, where you need a lot of special characters, can benefit from keyboard shortcuts and can't rely as much on autocomplete, hardware keyboards are much better.
I'd love to see someone with fast thumbs rip through at 60WPM on the Pyra. It's a rubber keymat, you'd have to get very framiliar with how far the press is for it to register. That's why it seems like I'm slamming on the keys, hence the slowdown. Also, the layout is a little unique, especially with alt/fn keys.

Back