Phone software?

We call it COBROL over here. "Brol" is a Dutch word for "crap".
Probably flemish word :D never heard of it.
Oh. I always forget there are Flemish words that Dutch people don't understand, like "ajuin", "bakkes", "botten", "confituur", "dop" (werkloosheidsuitkering), "frietkot", "goesting", "kuisvrouw", "muizenstrontjes", "patatten", "poepen", "reclameren", "schup", "schuif", "stoefen", "toespijs", "tutter", "valies", "vijs".

"poepen" is probably the worst one: the word itself exists both in Dutch and in Flemish but the meaning is significantly different...
muizenstrontjes... Hagelslag ofzo? 

lol
Exactly. We say "little mouse shits" (muizenstrontjes) when we are talking about chocolate sprinkles. Not very appetizing, but it makes sense, since the resemblance is striking.

"to butt" (poepen) is a strange one: in Flemish it means "to have sex", while in Dutch it means "to shit". This can be confusing.
also it only means "to butt" in flemish since poep in dutch only means shit and not butt.
Oh really? I didn't realize that. That is confusing too. In Flemish, "poep" only means butt, never shit. Shit is "kak" or "drol", or maybe "merde" if we feel like using a French loan word. But I guess one can never have enough words for shit.

Exactly. We say "little mouse shits" (muizenstrontjes) when we are talking about chocolate sprinkles. Not very appetizing, but it makes sense, since the resemblance is striking.
This is the kind of stuff I do when making nicknames for stuff.  I now have a new name for chocolate sprinkles.  :D

"to butt" (poepen) is a strange one: in Flemish it means "to have sex", while in Dutch it means "to shit". This can be confusing.
Hmmm.  Maybe not so confusing as inspirational for some.  Not my thing, so I will just stop there.

But I guess one can never have enough words for shit.
Why do you want to talk about shit so much, _wb_?  :p

I created a shell script proof of concept for incoming calls.

#!/bin/sh

xmessage -buttons Accept:1,Reject:0 Incoming call!
OUT=$?
if [ $OUT -eq 1 ]; then
echo "ATA"
else
echo "AT+CHUP"
fi

And this is what the dialog looks like: ring_script.png

And yes, I am using CDE. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
But how do you know if there's an incoming call?

You need some kind of wait loop listening to the serial device for the string "RING", then you can pop up your Accept/Reject message :p

Yes, I know! :p But I don't know what "/dev/<whatever>" the PHS8 will be, so I can't really do that yet. I can add that when I get my Pyra. Also a ringtone routine.

at the very least, this is not using zenity, so it's safe :D
I like this better, it uses Xlib.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the basic packages provided by gta-04? The links he posted seem to be interesting.

Yeah, I'm hoping for something like that, but I think xmessage provides a good alternative. At least for answering incoming calls.

Of course! The script cannot be finished until I have a Pyra, or know the interface for the vibration motor.

I know well ;) but would there be really an easy way to vibrate in the rythm of the music? o_O

Oh I didnat see that part! Well, that would be complex, would only work with MIDI or tracker music, and possibly not at all. Easier to just make it vibrate.

I understand... It's not that I wouldn't be satisfied if the Pyra "just vibrates" ;) It might just be funny ^^

Just a thing, how does that work on Smartphones? Is it a special data format or some kind of that?

I know the old monophonic ringtone format allowed for specific control of the rumble and screen backlight. I do have one of those that hit the resonant frequency of my phone and makes it go completely insane.

By the Way: If whe can use our Püra as Smartphone, can it also play Mp3 Ringtones ??

Or much better : 8 Bit SIDs ??

I would like to have the Giana Sisters Soundrack when i gets a Phonecall on my Püra :)

If the Pyra whil be allso a Phone, its great, because then i would use my Nicon P7100 instead of my Smartphone Kamera..

Back