Phone software?

I'd have to use shell scripting. I don't think I can write a phone interface in COBOL, and that's the only other language I know any of. And not enough to do much of anything useful either.
Well now I want to brush up on my COBOL to make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
We call it COBROL over here. "Brol" is a Dutch word for "crap".
Probably flemish word :D never heard of it.
Oh. I always forget there are Flemish words that Dutch people don't understand, like "ajuin", "bakkes", "botten", "confituur", "dop" (werkloosheidsuitkering), "frietkot", "goesting", "kuisvrouw", "muizenstrontjes", "patatten", "poepen", "reclameren", "schup", "schuif", "stoefen", "toespijs", "tutter", "valies", "vijs".

"poepen" is probably the worst one: the word itself exists both in Dutch and in Flemish but the meaning is significantly different...

I understand around 20% of these words, hello from Germany :) .

"poepen" is probably the worst one: the word itself exists both in Dutch and in Flemish but the meaning is significantly different...
schater.gif

Oh. I always forget there are Flemish words that Dutch people don't understand, like "ajuin", "bakkes", "botten", "confituur", "dop" (werkloosheidsuitkering), "frietkot", "goesting", "kuisvrouw", "muizenstrontjes", "patatten", "poepen", "reclameren", "schup", "schuif", "stoefen", "toespijs", "tutter", "valies", "vijs".

muizenstrontjes... Hagelslag ofzo? 

lol

I can only do anything semi-useful in COBOL. I used to know a lot of Java, but alas I have forgotten most of it.

COBOL is... well, it's Turing complete. That's about the most I can say in favour of it. Though to be fair, my last exposure to it was pre-2002, and I gather that year's revision introducing functions and OO improved its ability to express well structured and encapsulated algorithms.

Well you can make a really good living here in Quebec learning COBOL, as a lot of the old crap running on the government's old servers use it.

Since no one wants to even touch it, decent COBOL programmers are sadly still sought out.

Well, COBOL is really only for databases. FORTRAN can do lots more. At least, this book I got at the used book store says so.

lol
Exactly. We say "little mouse shits" (muizenstrontjes) when we are talking about chocolate sprinkles. Not very appetizing, but it makes sense, since the resemblance is striking.

"to butt" (poepen) is a strange one: in Flemish it means "to have sex", while in Dutch it means "to shit". This can be confusing.

lol
Exactly. We say "little mouse shits" (muizenstrontjes) when we are talking about chocolate sprinkles. Not very appetizing, but it makes sense, since the resemblance is striking.

"to butt" (poepen) is a strange one: in Flemish it means "to have sex", while in Dutch it means "to shit". This can be confusing.
also it only means "to butt" in flemish since poep in dutch only means shit and not butt.

Back