Philosophy For Gamers

There is no ‘Present’, its either the ‘Near Future’ or the ‘Recent Past’ – George Carlin

philosophy for gamers?
well considering everyone who self applies the term is dumb, juvenile, selfish, and naive
how about an ayn rand book?

mali said:
"Philosophie ist eine Wissenschaft, über die man nicht reden kann, ohne sie selbst zu betreiben" - Carl Friedrich von Weizsäcker
Freely translated: Philosophy is a science you can't talk about if you don't practise it yourself.

I would translate it differently:
Philosophy is a science you can't talk about without practicing it yourself.
Meaning, if you talk about it, you do practice it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my take:

The past doesn't exist. It's only remembered and it's different for everyone.
The future doesn't exist. It can be predicted to a certain probability, but that probability reduces the further from the present you try to predict.

The present is intangible and fleeting; and means nothing without reference to the past or hope for a future.

Getting maths involved is good for describing but doesn't really help.
Mathematicians think that knowing the length, turning circle of your car and some trigonometry will help you park your car. They usually miss the point that they are describing, not controlling and when you park successfully you have not 'used maths' you have estimated and predicted. In fact I've never seen anyone get out of their car with a ruler and calculator in order to park. Or catch a frisbee (but that's another rant)

I don't care.

The past is what you make it.
The future is what you make it.
The present is gone before you make it.

mali said:
gp32rich said:
The past doesn't exist. It's only remembered and it's different for everyone.
So the past being different for everyone is irrelevant in my opinion. My problem is, that everything that exists(or I think that it exists) is past. You go a step further and say that the past doesn't exist, but I'm not yet able to get my head around this.
If it's irrelevant that the past is different for everyone, does that mean that your past is the only true one? This is why I say the past doesn't 'exist'. It is just a memory. You can't go there. Timetravel is a quantum-mathematical curiosity.

But this is the problem with quantum mechanics at life scales. QM is based greatly on the probability fields of elementary particles. Except what may be possible for a single particle becomes highly improbable when applied to many so much so that even atoms and molecules do not exhibit improbable behaviour. [IIRC/IMO/etc: Radioactive decay is the largest scale improbability - hence the constraints of Schroedinger's Cat superposition exercise]

It's an interesting concept and I'd love to go back and slap myself at some of the more stupid decisions I made, but ...

mali said:
gp32rich said:
If it's irrelevant that the past is different for everyone, does that mean that your past is the only true one? This is why I say the past doesn't 'exist'. It is just a memory. You can't go there.
If it is possible to prove that the past doesn't exist, then it is possible to prove that nothing exists. Which is doubtful because something must exist, or according to my theory is trying to exist.
You may as well be asking about that tree in the woods... if it falls and no-one sees it - does it make a sound. Does it even exist until someone observes it? and so back to Schroedinger.

Existance is perception, perception is existance.
I think therefore I am
I see therefore it is

Back