Retro Laptop Discussion (split from Introduce yourself thread)

Call that a Toshiba laptop.. This is a Toshiba Laptop

1989 at it's finest, one of the first 386 laptops, This retailed over $10,000 when it first came out.

- Orange Plasma VGA display.
- 1 full length 16 bit ISA slot; 1 half length 8-bit ISA slot
- Huge 100MB hard-drive.

- Briefcase style combo lock.. 
- Weighs like 20 Pounds..

- No battery, just AC outlet.

Since it actually has ISA slots, I rigged mine up with an 8-bit Sound Blaster 2.0 and some early 16-bit Ethernet card. Put in 12Megs of RAM, Got it running Windows 95 fine, despite having no CDROM drive and this laptop came out 6 year before windows 95 was released. I still use it today as it's currently my only computer with a working floppy drive and it's networked so I can move files from the floppies easily. 

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah it's buckling spring style so it's has a good feel when typing.

thats is a toshiba t1910, with a whole 33MHz!!
Looks like it was made back when laptops had good keyboards .Oh btw Binky I found a working one on eBay going for one 1000 usd $ . Granted its on eBay ( driven by greed and stupidity ) but still .

Call that a Toshiba laptop.. This is a Toshiba Laptop

1989 at it's finest, one of the first 386 laptops, This retailed over $10,000 when it first came out.

- Orange Plasma VGA display.

- 1 full length 16 bit ISA slot; 1 half length 8-bit ISA slot

- Huge 100MB hard-drive.

- Briefcase style combo lock.. 

- Weighs like 20 Pounds..

- No battery, just AC outlet.

Since it actually has ISA slots, I rigged mine up with an 8-bit Sound Blaster 2.0 and some early 16-bit Ethernet card. Put in 12Megs of RAM, Got it running Windows 95 fine, despite having no CDROM drive and this laptop came out 6 year before windows 95 was released. I still use it today as it's currently my only computer with a working floppy drive and it's networked so I can move files from the floppies easily. 
if you can explain how to get win 95 onto my t1910 without the origional disks or a cd drive, please do, these 1.6 meg disks are evil :c and the hdd is waaay too old to work in my pc

also how does win95 look on an orange display :p

Well it was a process, I remember having to copy a working copy of Windows 3.1 via serial cables attached to another DOS computer. I then had the CD in that other computer and ran the CD install through the serial cable.. took forever to finish. There is more too it.. but that's the summary of it.

I couldn't get a good still picture because the refresh rate on that screen was bizarre and caused my focus to go wonky.. but have a youtube video.. hey my first video..

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZNI1RhmUU-o?feature=oembed

the pan to the side shows the Ethernet card + adapter to modern cable.. The sound blaster 2.0 is above it.. hard to see.

Actually it looks real clear, it's mostly a mix between having poor lighting and the refresh rate of the screen that makes it blurry.

Well thats cool ^.^ its not exactly practical though :p   I like the compaq's from around 1996, that toshiba is interesting but these had in built power supplys and a nice design, and i really want to mod the hell out of one. why cant you get a modern laptop with power brick built in and a removable dvd drive :c

Many Lenovo laptops are pretty awesome like that, the have removable Optical drives, plus you can get a caddy you can put a laptop harddrive in and hot-swap them.. there are also booster lithium ion batteries you put in the same slot. I have a Lenovo W510 issued at work, it's a beast.

Well may as well split this in it's own thread instead of derailing the other thread.

Back