PCSX r14 - Grandia problem

Klumpen

Run away! Run away!
Hello,

i played through all the introduction stuff and on the road you are able to fight the first time.

It crashed every time when it should go to the fighting-screen, no matter with what creature.

The same ISO works perfect on pcsx-reloaded and ePSXe for winXP.

Is it a general problem or did anyone play it with this or an older version?

greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Maybe it would work with HLE? I could not try it yet, because the state doesn't work anymore when i use HLE, so i have to play to the point with the first fight on marna road again.

I tried yesterday and got to the same point with the same crash. I have an ingame save just before, though, so I'll try some option combinatorials later today. I ran on the 750? bios, if I remember correctly.

I can do that later. I did some testing now. When playing with a real bios - no matter whether 1001 or 7502 - it crashes when the game goes into battle. This happens no matter which graphics plugin I tried: built_in, peops or pcsxsomething. In some cases, it "just" hangs while trying to load the battle screen: The game gets stuck in the "zoom-in" part and hangs, repeating a few seconds of the battle music over and over. At that point, the emulator still runs so I can go to the emu menu and reset stuff. In other cases, it flat out crashes back to XFCE. The /tmp/pnd_out... file contains a bunch of lines on the form "NI number number number", mixed with two or three "branch at..." or something like that, and ending with a "Compile at bogus adress ######" and then the cleanup bits follow.

I also tried running with HLE, and when I do that, the game does not recognize its save files - according to the pnd_out, the memcard files are loaded, but when trying to load a saved game, it just shows that there is no game data on the memory card. When running with the real bios, that problem does not occur (the save files are saved with 7502, if that matters). In this case I get no NI or anything, but then again, I never get into a battle screen (since it does not recognize the save file, I'd have to replay about an hour of gameplay in order to get to the first possibility of battle).

It is the PAL version of Grandia, if that matters.

I can do a more systematic run-through later, and collect pnd_out... files for the different combinations of bios and plugins. I did try the config changes suggested above, but got nothing that worked - If anything, my limited experiments indicates that it increases the chance of flat-out crashing to desktop.

Totally unrelated: Klumpen, are you by any chance swedish? The name seems to somehow suggest that... :D

Since the above settings did not help others, I did some further testing.

The settings do not help at all. I was misleaded by my own testing procedure.

What I can say, I definitively come into the battle screen, but...

With the built-in NEON plugin, after starting the emulator and booting up the game, it hangs at the battle screen. Now, if I reset the game (without restarting the emulator), load the save from the memory card again, the battle screen works. I know, it sounds strange. Unfortunately, after a couple of battles, the emulator crashes.

With the gpu_peops plugin, the game works for me. I did not have a single crash so far, but gameplay is obviously pretty slow.

I'm on HF5, use the SCPH1001 BIOS and have a US version of the game.

Hello, it's nice, that someone is interested in the problem, Grandia is a great series after all and as far as i know also one of EDs favorite games.

I played the PC-Version of the second part a lot in the last years and finally got hold on the first one.

Moxie seems to get exactly the same results with the same combinations that i tried.

SCPH1000 and SCPH7502 do the same and with HLE you got the problem with saves from real bios as mentioned above.

Ok, i will make a speedrun to the first fight with HLE now.

..the intro movie is sooo long and can't be skipped. *wait*

At least i don't have to work now.

PS: Nope, i'm german like many guys on here. ;)

It seems to me, that the majority of the pandora-owners are english, german and spanish - maybe some french as well.

Here the log file /tmp/pndrun_pcsx_rearmed.out from my test run above...

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/PANDORA64B/pandora/apps//pcsx_rearmed_r14.pnd -e pcsx.sh -b pcsx_rearmed

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon:

/dev/loop5

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

/dev/loop5 on /mnt/pnd/pcsx_rearmed type squashfs (ro)

Filesystem is vfat

Mounting the Union FS using /media/PANDORA64B/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed as Write directory:

mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs=/media/PANDORA64B/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed=rw+nolwh:/mnt/pnd/pcsx_rearmed=rr none /mnt/utmp/pcsx_rearmed

none on /mnt/utmp/pcsx_rearmed type aufs (rw,si=644ecf77,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/pcsx_rearmed type aufs (rw,si=644ecf77,noplink)

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

writing fir:

Simple pixel doubling (no filter)

/usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh: line 35: [: too many arguments

cpu_mhz_max set to 800

Running PCSX Version 1.9 (Mar 4 2012).

Init new dynarec

Loading memory card ./.pcsx/memcards/card1.mcd

Loading memory card ./.pcsx/memcards/card2.mcd

xenv: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10704000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0

xenv: display is 800x480

/dev/fb0: 800x480@16

fbdev initialized.

switching to 640x512@16

/dev/fb1: 640x512@16

fbdev initialized.

in_evdev: found "gpio-keys" with 30 events (type 00100023)

input: new device #0 "evdev:gpio-keys"

in_evdev: found "keypad" with 84 events (type 00100013)

input: new device #1 "evdev:keypad"

in_evdev: found "nub0" with 0 events (type 00000009)

input: new device #2 "evdev:nub0"

in_evdev: found "nub1" with 0 events (type 00000009)

input: new device #3 "evdev:nub1"

# drv probed binds name

0 0 y y evdev:gpio-keys

1 0 y y evdev:keypad

2 0 y n evdev:nub0

3 0 y n evdev:nub1

found skin.txt

plugin: plugins/builtin_cdr

plugin: plugins/builtin_gpu

plugin: plugins/builtin_spu

plugin: plugins/builtin_pad

Plugins loaded.

ari64_reset

selected file: /media/PANDORA64B/pandora/roms/psx/Grandia (US) (Disc 1)/Grandia (USA) (Disc 1).bin

plugin: plugins/builtin_gpu

plugin: plugins/builtin_spu

Plugins loaded.

Loaded CD Image: /media/PANDORA64B/pandora/roms/psx/Grandia (US) (Disc 1)/Grandia (USA) (Disc 1).bin[+cue].

Track 01 (DATA) - Start 00:02:00, Length 65:29:34

CD-ROM Label: GRANDIA

CD-ROM ID: SCUS94457

ari64_reset

menu_load_config: failed to open: ./.pcsx/cfg/GRANDIA-SCUS94457.cfg

-> 640x480 1.3

switching to 256x256@16

-> 600x480 1.2

switching to 640x480@16

-> 640x480 1.3

switching to 368x224@16

-> 685x480 1.4

Loaded CD Image: /media/PANDORA64B/pandora/roms/psx/Grandia (US) (Disc 1)/Grandia (USA) (Disc 1).bin[+cue].

Track 01 (DATA) - Start 00:02:00, Length 65:29:34

ari64_reset

CD-ROM Label: GRANDIA

CD-ROM ID: SCUS94457

-> 685x480 1.4

-> 685x480 1.4

switching to 640x480@16

-> 640x480 1.3

switching to 368x224@16

-> 685x480 1.4

NI 7a2cb274 @00041228 (00040000)

NI 63363362 @00041238 (00040000)

NI 61720a0d @0004123c (00040000)

NI 6a3a6870 @00041240 (00040000)

NI 62333030 @00041248 (00040000)

NI ffffffff @00041344 (00040000)

NI 5341423a @00041358 (00040000)

NI 50535543 @0004135c (00040000)

Compile at bogus memory address: 165fba0

open /dev/tty: No such device or address

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

cleanup done

1. Start emu, boot game, load save from memory card, game hangs at battle screen

2. Reset game, load save from memory card, battle screen loads, but emulator crashes after 5-10 minutes

And here the memory card file...

pcsx_rearmed_memory_card1_grandia.zip

Attachments

• pcsx_rearmed_memory_card1_grandia.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 171
Ok, same with HLE.

I'm on HF6 and english version of the game.

Edit: The Reset does the same for me, fight works but game crashes after some minutes.

Looks like a problem with dynarec, you could try disabling it (advanced options) to get through problematic areas, but in general, it will need to be debugged..

Disabling dynarec helps. The battle screen appears without resetting the game first and the emulator does not crash after 5-10 minutes. I don't think there are problematic areas to circumvent, it's more the emulator crashes after some time. Playing the game without dynarec is unfortunately too slow.

Anyway. Thanks for looking into it. Please let me know if I can help with debugging somehow (with my limited skills).

So if you turn the dynarec back on it crashes instantly or after some time?

I know there are still some invalidation bugs, which happen after game reloads portions of code in same memory locations (this usually happens on level transitions or similar, perhaps on battle transitions in this game).

Notaz, would it be useful with more saves and more pnd_out-files, or do you have enough information?

That would be really great.

Thanks for everything notaz, we wouldn't have such a great software collection without you.

- just donated a bit.

Finally got a chance to try it, seems to work ok on current wip version (squashed maybe a dozen of bugs and snakes in 4-5 battles), got a static screen on r14 so I assume it got fixed by something else.

Back