Pascal Delphi

GuchaRU

I wonder whether the possibility of codeing on pandora with someting like special versions of pascal, or even better delphi compiler (with special libraries).
Or simply even though such a pascal development environment.
I understand that is quite stupid question but anyway.
Because I just know only pascal and delphi =) (not mentioned php)

GuchaRU said:
I wonder whether the possibility of codeing on pandora with someting like special versions of pascal, or even better delphi compiler (with special libraries).
Free pascal has lately added native support for ARM and then there's also GNU Pascal that should work right away. On the other hand, learning C after Pascal is more or less a question of remapping some keywords and that way you would be better in line with the rest of the developer community.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can indeed download and install Free Pascal for ARM-Linux. Nothing special required, just install and it will work, your compiled binaries also will work right away on the GP2x. If you have any questions, visit the Pascal Game Development forums, http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com, many people there who have experience with coding games for the GP2X.

GNU-Pascal is not recommended, since the project shows few signs of life and more important, nobody is doing it. I.e. you are fully on your own: you have to patch your GCC with GPC patches, compile it yourself, hope this will work fine on ARM Linux, then try JEDI:SDL, hope it works with GNU-Pascal etc.

2 Marq & dmantione
Oh, I don't even know that everything is so simple and cool =)
Thank you for information, I will try it all right now =)

I've never used a pascal compiler but I did translate a good bit of as part of a project once and it really did not seem that far from C. Lot of fun with C:, nowhere as sticky as ++, lot less verbage, might give it a look

dmantione said:
You can indeed download and install Free Pascal for ARM-Linux. Nothing special required, just install and it will work, your compiled binaries also will work right away on the GP2x. If you have any questions, visit the Pascal Game Development forums, http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com, many people there who have experience with coding games for the GP2X.

GNU-Pascal is not recommended, since the project shows few signs of life and more important, nobody is doing it. I.e. you are fully on your own: you have to patch your GCC with GPC patches, compile it yourself, hope this will work fine on ARM Linux, then try JEDI:SDL, hope it works with GNU-Pascal etc.

Skip using GNU-Pascal...it's intrinsically a dead project. If you're interested in the FOSS equivalent to Delphi, the command-line tool is FPC (Free Pascal Compiler) from the FPC project, the GUI builder is Lazarus from the Lazarus project that uses FPC... If memory serves, JEDI:SDL works with FPC and it's what the eternally stalled Siege of Avalon Open Soure (soaos...) project used/uses for the codebase that Digital Tome provided when the opened up the Siege of Avalon engine code.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can indeed use JEDI:SDL for GP2X development. Getting Siege of Avalon to work on GP2X would be difficult, though, it uses a closed source blitting library and contains quite a bit of x86 assembler code for MMX acceleration. It was ported to FPC and SDL, but is still a Win32 application.

Thanks again for advices. But I don't plan to do something for GP2X (although as I understood it will work there too). I only want to make a port Dune2 for pandora (when pandora will be released), furthermore there is sources of dune2 on pascal, so I don't think it will be difficult.
But if all will be go well I think maybe I write some games for pandora too =)

Back