Paper Wars

Hey guys! Yeah, Im sorry for not showing up here. For sure, work is getting done.

And hey! Look at this! I'm working on the main menu graphics and doing some style tests.

I rendered out a 2k version if any of you all wanna use it to have a fancy new wallpaper!

It took forever to render since I'm using Blender's fancy new Cycles renderer. Doing an animation with it too, I'll post that when it's done rendering (takes forever on my old 32bit Core Duo).

2k wallpaper link...

I rendered out a 2k version if any of you all wanna use it to have a fancy new wallpaper!
Cool, thanks :)

Out of curiousity, what are you putting the donations towards? Not that I mind what you actually do with it, like I said, just interested :)

Out of curiousity, what are you putting the donations towards? Not that I mind what you actually do with it, like I said, just interested :)

Ha, nothing as luxurious as beer ... donations are used for things like server hosting or software licenses.

On the Panda, we have no desire to release it as a paid app. It would go against the wholesome/cuddly feeling of this community!

But, if someone wants to donate me a Pandora, so I can play my game on it ... I'd be very happy :lol:

Ya, so I just finished up a wicked long render with cycles, animating this little scene. I'm not sure if it was really worth the render time ... Cycles takes forever (but it does give great results). Anyways, enjoy this little bit then ;)

Head to vimeo...

Some game progress, we have cool new animations for the ingame menu ... lots actually, it really transforms the experience! Right now only placeholder elements are there, and I'm going through and designing the real elements and making them all pretty. I'll get a video up soon. It's amazing how important a good responsive UI is.

The other thing we are looking at right now is the main menu when the game starts (which is what the above animation is a test for) and the current idea is having this giant paper wall where the menu's kind of fold out. Tapping different options will bring to you different parts of the menu.

The idea for this design is to both engage the player right from the start AND let them get into the game quickly. For sure, animations and transitions would be tuned to go quickly and not be annoying for the player who just wants to get into an online match. These are the things we take into consideration when makin' a good game!

menuWall-layout.png

That's the current going layout for the epic menu wall. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

i'd put $10 in for that

Oh, I would love you!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's "Beam Select"?

Ignore that... my eyes are tired :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, so I just finished up a wicked long render with cycles, animating this little scene. I'm not sure if it was really worth the render time ... Cycles takes forever (but it does give great results). Anyways, enjoy this little bit then ;)
Looks awesome, I can imagine this being some kind of intro sequence with the sun rising and then a paper tank busting through the wall/scene and shooting to the left side of the view, camera turns 180 degrees and shows a scene of war with tanks/soldiers/helicopeters folding into place and shooting each other... "PAPER WARS"... ;)

Anyway, looking very much forward to this, I would also put down money for it as it's one of the few homebrew games around which offers great visuals along with great gameplay.

mulitplayer ftw!

Mullet Player!

Looks awesome, I can imagine this being some kind of intro sequence with the sun rising and then a paper tank busting through the wall/scene and shooting to the left side of the view, camera turns 180 degrees and shows a scene of war with tanks/soldiers/helicopeters folding into place and shooting each other... "PAPER WARS"... ;)

Anyway, looking very much forward to this, I would also put down money for it as it's one of the few homebrew games around which offers great visuals along with great gameplay.

Gah! That is a good idea! Grrr, no time for animation, must finish game somehow within the month!?!

Somehow, the Intro Animation just looks to friendly and peaceful for an "Wars" game. ;) Looks like every second a little Pony steps right out of the corner. :D

There could be a tank crushing through the paper wall and points its gun at the menupoint you selected.

Also needs some heavy metal backgroundmusic ;)

Jus' wanna say, I was looking at all that Steam Greenlight stuff that just came out ... and was thinkin of putting Paper Wars there. But man, that's a scary place :blink: , made me wanna come running back to the friendly Panda community

Jus' wanna say, I was looking at all that Steam Greenlight stuff that just came out ... and was thinkin of putting Paper Wars there. But man, that's a scary place :blink: , made me wanna come running back to the friendly Panda community
Does this mean you're thinking of actually releasing the Windows build now? I really hope you do ^_^

Back