Release Panorama

That's strange. I can't seem to reproduce that behavior. My desktop PNDs show up fine. Installed PNDs (on the active device) won't show up in the install tab by design (which is not hammered down though), but they should show up in the launcher. Could you PM/post me your pnd_run log file (in /tmp after running) and give an example of a PND that you have in your pandora/desktop directory?

OK, now I see the issue. Initiating debugging protocols.

EDIT: Found the problem. Related to home directory handling when used from a PND. I didn't encounter the problem as I test using a non-PND'd version (transferring the PND for every change is slow). Will probably fix next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEXT YEAR!!!??? Holy cra......oh wait, that's in 3 days...carry on and thank you

Today I found out what's taking so long with applications-plugin during startup. The part that takes a lion's share of the time is... finding icons for system utilities :blink:

What.

For PNDs finding icons is nice and quick, since they provide the icons themselves. For other applications, however, it's a bit more complicated. Dflemstr has made a nice standards compliant icon finder that takes into account things like system icon theme, different icon sizes and different locations for icons. This causes some of the system utilities first try and find an icon five times (each with a different size) from every icon directory and its subdirectories before falling back to a "default" icon. Each such search takes ~75ms on pandora. This adds up to 375ms per application. Now, there are quite a few applications that fit the parameters in pandora's firmware, so it ends up taking something close to 10s of the total startup time of 25s (measured outside of a PND), which translates to 40%. For finding suitable icons. For applications that end up falling back to their default icon.

I'll see what I can do.

Thats really good news! Thanks for working on this great frontend and keep up the good work!

PND launching is still 24s, but it's still an improvement. I'll check the next bottleneck at some point :) . I updated the snapshot PND I linked to earlier if someone wants to give it a shot. It should also now show PNDs in desktop folders in the launcher.

So I guess that I'll have to use this thread now, bummer.

Anyways, it is really a flaw in libpnd that it specifies the full icon path to an icon, but it can't be avoided I guess, since it can't add the icons in the right places in the basically R/O file system.

I've made it so that panorama will use GTK's icon loader if it's available, speeding up the loading process by an order of magnitude. Useful, I guess.

Source

Anyways, it is really a flaw in libpnd that it specifies the full icon path to an icon, but it can't be avoided I guess, since it can't add the icons in the right places in the basically R/O file system.

I've made it so that panorama will use GTK's icon loader if it's available, speeding up the loading process by an order of magnitude. Useful, I guess.

Grepping pnd-libraries sources seems to show up a icon cache within pndnotifyd. I don't have pandora to check, but should be in /tmp/iconcache, I guess.

Grepping pnd-libraries sources seems to show up a icon cache within pndnotifyd. I don't have pandora to check, but should be in /tmp/iconcache, I guess.
Well I don't have a Pandora, period. The opportunity's all yours.

Back