Panorama

Great, I love everything I have seen of this so far.
It is the best looking and the extensive skin support is great (though I see me scraping my skin half-way through making it, like I usually do ;) )

foxblock out

is there anyway you can setup the magma theme (background) with the layout of the Panorama beta - PMenu emulation (with a search bar and apllication bar as well)? (I would love to see a sonic theme... but that's just me). also, it says the cpu consumption is 52%, is that fact with the pandora, or just a made up number. because couldn't that cause some problems?

aesir911 said:
is there anyway you can setup the magma theme (background) with the layout of the Panorama beta - PMenu emulation (with a search bar and apllication bar as well)? (I would love to see a sonic theme... but that's just me).
Give me a mock-up and I'll do it. I'm a programmer, not an artist, so I have no idea how I should make what you're describing.

aesir911 said:
also, it says the cpu consumption is 52%, is that fact with the pandora, or just a made up number. because couldn't that cause some problems?
I tested the program on a Pentium 4 3Ghz processor, and the CPU usage came from the screen recorder (I was making 800x480 video at 60fps, what do you expect ;) ). Panorama uses very little CPU power when idle (1-2%)
Oh, and I never ever use dummy values for testing ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... i'm not much of an artist either (gosh i wish i had CS4!!!). maybe something similar to this for the sonic design theme skip to 4:10 in the video. then just have everything else similar to the (colors theme) Panorama beta - PMenu (maybe change Misc to Apps or Programs) and then add a search function similar to your magma theme. let me know what else you need, and i will find a way to get it to you.

Alerino said:
seems he doesn't have a pandora yet
Yeah that's the primary problem. I don't even know if the Pandora has Qt 4.7 so I don't know what I'll have to short-wire and what not. The current build works on Qt 4.6.2 with declarative extensions, and also kind of on 4.7.0, with some bugs though so I'll have to fix it before I can make any new themes.

Alerino said:
shake that ass, Craig! :angry:
Throw him a Panda! :D
I've ordered one like everyone else and should get one in (October? November? June?), and even if I had one right now, I probably wouldn't do Panorama stuff; don't have much time for Pandora related stuff at the moment.

sonicpanorama.jpg

How about this for the theme of the sonic one? is there anyway you can work on it? or if that is impossible, guide me through the process?

for the picture of sonic, have it a small playback of the intro to the sonic the hedgehog screen title (on replay with some kinda gray filter and fading). in each menu, have everything from the red and yellow remain up, but something else for the "movie" (obviously the list of files). i would love to see this happen, let me know if you need anymore information, ideas, or revisions. thanks much!

dflemstr said:
I've pretty much left the Pandora project (you'll see that I haven't posted for a few months).
So this project should be seen as being dead.

that's a pitty! I thought your project to be very cool and a great upgrade for the pandora..

all the best to you! maybe you'll find your way back to the pandora one day... ;)

dflemstr said:
I've pretty much left the Pandora project (you'll see that I haven't posted for a few months).
So this project should be seen as being dead.
Is there a reason for this we are allowed to know? ^^
I just wonder because when I for myself spend much Time in a project, I usualy want to see it finished, I never start huge stuff without finishing it sooner or later so I try to understand whats the reason of stopping this big project.

What a shame...

Well, I will try to have a look at the source code in the next few days and see if I can continue it, but don't count on anything.

fusion_power posted on 17 October 2010 - 02:36 PM said:
I've gotten like 5000 messages about this already :p

I could make a post about it in "Pandora General" for everyone to see, but I don't want to be like everyone else who cancelled a few months back and whined about it.

It basically came down to that:
  1. The Pandora project isn't organized. At all. The team members do what they want and when they want to, and it almost never works. This can be seen in the quality of the Pandora's software (core image, appstore, etc) and hardware (cracks, nubs, etc); there are other projects with far less supporters (e.g. Haiku with only 300 active community members; Chakra with only a handful, etc) that have software/hardware of much higher quality and a better organization overall.
  2. The Pandora project doesn't embrace open source. They haven't allowed any major contributions from the community to the core image at all (they have only added applications like PandoraPanic! etc; they don't accept patches to the OS itself; the PND system, the DE switcher and the XFCE UI suffer from this issue a lot). I had to fight for months to get The Box to be accepted by the team, and for ED to try to host it (even though they had *asked* me to create The Box, they developed their own version, and then forgot about my project).
  3. The Pandora is becoming outdated. My Android phone is faster, has more features, a more open system (Only the Google apps are closed source at this point... e.g. Google Maps, GMail...), and a bigger community (The CyanogenMod community is already larger than the Pandora community! And that's just *one* of thousands of open source OS projects related to Android), and it's also much easier to develop Android apps because they have a decent API, SDK, packaging system and release model.

I wanted to contribute. I wanted to work on the issues that OP had. But the organization problems left me fighting for the ability to contribute, and soon I had to spend as much time developing as talking about bureaucracy. OP development became something like a second job for me for a while. So I stepped out.

I'm heading for Android, most probably. I have also started playing MineCraft recently, and might contact the author Notch (who lives like 30 minutes away from my house) to see if I could become a contributor/modder for that project.

If anybody has anything they are working on that isn't *just* for the Pandora (or completely Pandora-unrelated), feel free to contact me. I love development in general, it's a great hobby to have, so if you're doing something interesting, sign me up.

If you want to mod Panorama - the source repo will stay up, but note that it's an old branch that I have online. I have made some experimental improvements locally, but none of them are really worth pushing (some stuff depends on Qt 4.7.x-experimental, and since that branch got removed, the code won't work).

Oh and I made some documentation: http://github.com/dflemstr/panorama/wiki/_pages

dflemstr posted on 17 October 2010 - 02:36 PM said:
3. The Pandora is becoming outdated. My Android phone is faster, has more features, a more open system (Only the Google apps are closed source at this point... e.g. Google Maps, GMail...), and a bigger community (The CyanogenMod community is already larger than the Pandora community! And that's just *one* of thousands of open source OS projects related to Android), and it's also much easier to develop Android apps because they have a decent API, SDK, packaging system and release model.

I'm heading for Android, most probably. I have also started playing MineCraft recently, and might contact the author Notch (who lives like 30 minutes away from my house) to see if I could become a contributor/modder for that project.

I disagree with your statement about it being outdated completely. The Pandora is much more than ho-hum Google and Apple Store apps, and I prefer to run emulators with actual BUTTONS rather than a touch screen. This project isn't dead yet, Pandoras just started shipping a few months ago. How can you expect a rather obscure piece of technology that needs a large support group to take off so quickly? I'm sure it will get better, more apps and emulators for the Pandora will be released, and actual technology over phones is what I'm going for. I've always hated phones.

I guess the two main questions I'd have, for dflemstr, would be:

1. Did you feel that your efforts were being deliberately overlooked, or do you feel that it is simply that the organisation behind the Pandora just isn't as good/experienced as other projects?
  2. Is it too late now to make any of this right? If it isn't; I wonder if there would be any scope for you listing exactly the issues are, as you see them, and see if the OP team agree they are issues, and act on them.

I do hold a little hope there might be a way to fix up some of this; but either way I wish you all the best.

Steve

I can understand the reasons, at the Moment Pandora Project is quite a bit Chaos but this is not all the fault of the OP-Team itself. ^^" They try their best and I know how hard they work (ED for Example).
I still believe it will get more straight and organized, they really should finish the new Kernel, sabilizing the core Software of the System and finaly make usage of the OMAP Hardware features in full scale. :)

dflemstr said:
I have also started playing MineCraft recently, and might contact the author Notch (who lives like 30 minutes away from my house) to see if I could become a contributor/modder for that project.

Hehe, I'm also Minecraft addicted since some Months, the 9,95€ was it fully worth. :) We also have a nice little Minecraft (creative) server running with some members of the german GP2X Boards.
Notch needs talented Coders, he starts a new Company and I bet you could help him alot to imrove the Game! And Money seems not to be the Problem since he make 100K each day ;) Good Luck and please send greetings to him If you meet him. He has a Pandora I really would like to see Minecraft running onto the Handheld. Once Java is droped and replaced by something more effective, I'm sure it should be possible. Untill then, I'm wating for the Halloween Update. ^^

Back