Panorama

bzar

A Commando
Website
Visit site
I loved the idea of dflemstr's Panorama UI project. I was sad to see it fade away (reasons explained in the original thread). The source has been untouched in github for some time now, and as it was written for a prototype version of Qt 4.7 (REAL bleeding edge at the time), it does not work with the latest releases of Qt 4.7.

Until now.

I've ported the project to latest Qt 4.7. Some features, like the Magma UI still don't work completely (not working at all with OpenGL rendering, some things left to fix for software rendering), but most of the work is done. Depending on how well I'll get this to run on a pandora, I might adopt the project and continue developing it. I have some nice ideas about a plugin based architecture :)

Note: I've noticed software rendering works really well on most platforms after I added QApplication::setGraphicsSystem("raster");. I have some other ideas on how to make this go faster that I learned about when doing Wars: Commando. For now I recommend using the CONFIG+=disable_opengl switch to compile without the OpenGL support as it seems to make some things work funky (Test UI loads for around 10 seconds before becoming responsive, Magma UI hangs). I might make the software rendering the default at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just watched the videos of panorama; it looks really really nice and i hope that it's going to work out, i'll definitley try it out when it's stable enough.

just a thought .... pokeparadox is trying to get gmenu2x fully working on the pandora, maybe you both should team up and put the efforts into panorama, as IMO it seems to be superior.

Hi,

@ B-ZaR: glad to see you're working on this UI :) If you need a beta tester, please let me know !

@ crow_riot: pushing your idea a little further, what about merging as much as possible Minimenu (skeezix), Pangea GUI (efegea), Panorama (dlflemstr / B-ZaR), PDM, PGUI, Pmenu (Cpasjuste) and Gmenu2x (pokeparadox) ?

Wouldn't it be better to have all these talented developpers working together on one single unified project ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
@ crow_riot: pushing your idea a little further, what about merging as much as possible Minimenu (skeezix), Pangea GUI (efegea), Panorama (dlflemstr / B-ZaR), PDM, PGUI, Pmenu (Cpasjuste) and Gmenu2x (pokeparadox) ?

Wouldn't it be better to have all these talented developpers working together on one single unified project ?
i didnt even know about all the menu projects - but sure, it would definitely be great to see a team working on a single application; especially when skeezix is going to be off for a (baby) while :)

I don't know how well this will actually run on a pandora. I guess well find out soon enough as my premium upgrade was processed (payment received) yesterday. In any case, despite all the awesomeness Panorama is still very much WIP. I mean you can launch applications and games from it, but it needs a load of polish and integration to be actually ready to become The Application Launcher it was designed to be. Depending on how well I get this to work on an actual device (on a desktop this of course works smooth as butter) I'll put work into making this happen.

For now I think the best way is to do what's usually the protocol in the open source community, have several competing projects and let the community sort it out. Evolution at its finest is when every being is given an equal opportunity to shine or perish. Good features will no doubt be copied between projects, so we'll keep getting better and better UI's as things progress. The problem with with everyone concentrating on a single UI is that no one really knows what the best solution is or agrees with the ones that say they do. It's most motivating to do what you want to do instead of abiding by someone else's plans. I code like that at work. At home I do what I will :p . Of course I'll collaborate, as most others do, but only when there's a common goal. Diversity is strength. Only people who think they know best say otherwise :)

EDIT: grammar

Just reporting: I compiled panorama for maemo and tried it on my N900 and OMG it's smooth as melted butter with lubricant added with the latest optimizations using software renderer. I also have added full screen mode. It doesn't resize the UI, only puts the window full screen (hides decorations and window manager stuff). Currently it's used only through a hotkey Ctrl-F, but I'll add a configuration option soon enough. Magma UI works fully in software mode now too :)

Very good news B-Zar :D
I can't wait to try Panorama on Pandora.

Thank's a lot for your work.

dflemstr said:
I'm still alive. Tell me if you need anything from me.

great to hear.

I've thought you've abandoned pandora?

MonkeyChops said:
wait, why did you leave?
Follow the links in this post, he has given an explanation there.

Dflemstr, you are still missed around here. I do hope that you are enjoying whatever is keeping you busy these days.

dflemstr said:
Not looking like I'm coming back[...]
...yeah, that's what they all say.
Note for my diary, 14.04.2011: The day dflemstr returned :p

Update: I got my pandora yesterday and will spend the next few days getting a dev environment running. After I get this compiled for a pandora, I intend to create a preview PND for people to try out. Probably silence until then :)

Back