Panorama

bzar

A Commando
Website
Visit site
I loved the idea of dflemstr's Panorama UI project. I was sad to see it fade away (reasons explained in the original thread). The source has been untouched in github for some time now, and as it was written for a prototype version of Qt 4.7 (REAL bleeding edge at the time), it does not work with the latest releases of Qt 4.7.

Until now.

I've ported the project to latest Qt 4.7. Some features, like the Magma UI still don't work completely (not working at all with OpenGL rendering, some things left to fix for software rendering), but most of the work is done. Depending on how well I'll get this to run on a pandora, I might adopt the project and continue developing it. I have some nice ideas about a plugin based architecture :)

Note: I've noticed software rendering works really well on most platforms after I added QApplication::setGraphicsSystem("raster");. I have some other ideas on how to make this go faster that I learned about when doing Wars: Commando. For now I recommend using the CONFIG+=disable_opengl switch to compile without the OpenGL support as it seems to make some things work funky (Test UI loads for around 10 seconds before becoming responsive, Magma UI hangs). I might make the software rendering the default at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just reporting: I compiled panorama for maemo and tried it on my N900 and OMG it's smooth as melted butter with lubricant added with the latest optimizations using software renderer. I also have added full screen mode. It doesn't resize the UI, only puts the window full screen (hides decorations and window manager stuff). Currently it's used only through a hotkey Ctrl-F, but I'll add a configuration option soon enough. Magma UI works fully in software mode now too :)

Just reporting: I compiled panorama for maemo and tried it on my N900 and OMG it's smooth as melted butter with lubricant added with the latest optimizations using software renderer. I also have added full screen mode. It doesn't resize the UI, only puts the window full screen (hides decorations and window manager stuff). Currently it's used only through a hotkey Ctrl-F, but I'll add a configuration option soon enough. Magma UI works fully in software mode now too :)

Absolutely fantastic :)

Btw, if you need help with anything just call ;)

Sweet! I never even saw the original thread, but I'm glad you've continued the work B-ZaR. I'll keep my eye on this!

^ Once I get the first pandora version compiled for people to try, sure :) . Before that there's not much new stuff to show except code :)

I'm working on a simple UI for Panorama (if some of you don't know, Panorama is based on Qt Quick and the UI's are defined as QML documents) I can call my own and test things on. The ones made by dflemstr are of course awesome, but it's always easier to work with something you've done yourself.

Foxblock, I'd love some help. Fork my git and PM me with your Qt background and I'll find some suitable things you can choose from (some of this stuff is quite deep into Qt, which requires experience, some can be done with zero previous Qt experience) :) . One good task I haven't even looked at yet is bringing the libpnd support to the latest version of the library. I haven't made very specific plans for big features yet, it's laying a solid framework to build on first. Like restoring an old factory back to use, it's maintenance, repairs and polish before we can start the engines :)

Update: I got my pandora yesterday and will spend the next few days getting a dev environment running. After I get this compiled for a pandora, I intend to create a preview PND for people to try out. Probably silence until then :)

False alarm! Check my post below

Pandora build is postponed for now. I've been trying to get it to work for three days now, but can't get it to. The problem is that panorama depends on Qt 4.7 while Pandora OS Zaxxon provides 4.6.

First I tried using sebt3's build of Qt 4.7, but it seems it was a bad build for some reason and had some weird linker errors (I'll try this one more time to get the output for those interested).

I tried compiling Qt 4.7 myself, but ran into this error (after resolving a whole host of others):

Code:
/usr/local/angstrom/arm/libexec/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/cc1plus: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/angstrom/arm/libexec/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/cc1plus: undefined symbol: mpfr_init2

Then I tried using a build provided by Ångström's "next" repository. This one would've been peaches, but it depends on a newer glibc than what's available in Zaxxon. I tried getting the new glibc and linking against it, but due to other dependencies being dependant on Zaxxon's version of glibc, I was out of luck.

I'm open to suggestions, but if nothing comes up, I'll do a build when I either get a Qt 4.7 build that works on Zaxxon or the next version of pandora's OS, "Yars revenge", comes to some kind of developer alpha. For now I think my time is better spent working on panorama instead of trying to hack it into Zaxxon.

:D How nice :D

I went to get the error message I got from using sebt3's Qt build, but noticed an error in the makefile while doing so! After a few moments of intensive suspense, I now have a working build of panorama running on a pandora! I'll post a video to show how it runs once I find out why the keyboard/gamepad input events are not reaching the UI. Happy days!

There's an alpha preview PND at r.o.o. At least one user has reported just a grey screen, which implies not loading the QML files from the right place. It works for me though.

Read the "Additional info" on the page first!

Enjoy! :p

Back