Release Panorama

I can provide a linux 64bit easily, linux 32bit quite easily, but if you need a windows build you're out of luck. Some parts of panorama rely on linux-specific stuff.

Which one would you need?

I can provide a linux 64bit easily, linux 32bit quite easily, but if you need a windows build you're out of luck. Some parts of panorama rely on linux-specific stuff.

Which one would you need?
If it's fresh I'd like the linux 64Bit Version please (preferabley debian or ubuntu), and some bread and oil beforehand :D

Well I develop on 64bit ubuntu, so you can't get fresher than that :D . I'll whip up a tarball and post it here when I get home.

oooh I cant wait to try this when I get home :)

whats the bug btw?

Last edited by a moderator:
The package view won't update if you first use one of the other filtering methods and then do a search, until you use one of the others again :p .

Small bugfix update:

• New libmilky, fixes some bugs
  • Fixed search and and pandora controls in MilkyTest UI after last update :p

I'm working on a small update, mostly changes backend stuff. While doing it I decided to try out a few performance tweaks and found out what's causing the package list scrolling stutter. The package delegate (graphic representation of a package in the list) is too complex and generating them on the fly makes too much delay. I tried just commenting out the entire package details section of the delegate and scrolling was fluid even at 500MHz. This removes functionality, so it's not an actual fix, but tells me what needs changing. I'm thinking about making a full screen "application details" view that has all the screenshots, description, install/remove/delete buttons and stuff. Any ideas on a layout?

Thanks to the help of milkshake, I was finally able to try it out :)

Looking really great so far :)

If possible, I'd love to replace PNDStore with the Panorama-Powered MilkyTest :)

I just had a few issues:

* As you noticed, sometimes it's slow and hangs for a few seconds, which makes the user think it crashed.

* If you insert an SD Card for the first time and select it, why doesn't it do an automatic sync? :)

* It would be a nice feature to make a list of apps and install them at once :)

I love that you can browse apps that are not installed on your SD Card and apps that are installed.

However, this doesn't work with two SD Cards. It only shows the apps that are not installed or installed on ONE SD Card.

In my case, I got two SD Cards with various PNDs on.

Now I want to check what's on the repo that looks interesting which I haven't installed on any SD Card yet.

That won't work.

I always have to switch between SD 1 and SD 2, a feature to list the not-installed apps from both cards would really cool.

Otherwise, spot on :)

I'd love to include that in the OS, so it would be cool if you could get back to me for recipe creation.

Is there some GIT for this?

Only downside is, that it it needsa newer qt than the one on the nand, so it will eat up additional 20mb or so.

First, I've uploaded a test version of panorama to my server. It contains a new experimental version of libmilky library that has several bugfixes and some new features added, and milky-plugin and MilkyTest UI that have been modified to work with it. It contains little actual new usable features, but a lot of changed code in all modified parts that may add bugs. Those willing to try out this version for whatever reasons, remove all your existing libmilky and panorama folders from appdata directories to make sure all libmilky databases and panorama interface files are rewritten. Bug reports are welcome for example here.

Thanks to the help of milkshake, I was finally able to try it out :)

Looking really great so far :)

If possible, I'd love to replace PNDStore with the Panorama-Powered MilkyTest :)
Thanks, means a lot :)

I want to work on this a bit more before that, however. I actually initially did MilkyTest to show off (and try out) milky-plugin, so it's not thought through :D . There's a lot of room for improvement. Also like mcobit mentions, to include it in the firmware we'd probably need to have a newer Qt built in to avoid unnecessary waste of space.

* As you noticed, sometimes it's slow and hangs for a few seconds, which makes the user think it crashed.
True. The biggest problems here are IMO the package list scrolling and filtering changes (browse/installed, categories etc).

The scrolling I already have a fix in mind. The package delegate created for each package is structurally too complex to generate on the fly, so I'll make it simpler. Quick tests show almost no stutter in scrolling after removing the package details (stuff that comes out when clicked) from the delegates.

The filtering part probably needs an activity spinner or something like that. I could also look into delegating some of the raw processing out of the UI thread to make it more responsive.

* If you insert an SD Card for the first time and select it, why doesn't it do an automatic sync? :)
Automatic sync to the server? I guess it's a possibility, at least as an option. It does automatically search it for existing PNDs and creates a database, though.

* It would be a nice feature to make a list of apps and install them at once :)
This has been requested many times, and libmilky/milky-plugin actually do support it, I just haven't added the support to the UI (or created a UI that supports it). I created MilkyTest with utmost idiot-proofness in mind, so I made it simple with little state information to consider or ways to mess up. I'll probably create something that supports this eventually.

I love that you can browse apps that are not installed on your SD Card and apps that are installed.

However, this doesn't work with two SD Cards. It only shows the apps that are not installed or installed on ONE SD Card.

In my case, I got two SD Cards with various PNDs on.

Now I want to check what's on the repo that looks interesting which I haven't installed on any SD Card yet.

That won't work.

I always have to switch between SD 1 and SD 2, a feature to list the not-installed apps from both cards would really cool.
This comes from libmilky's way of thinking with separate databases for every media. AFAIK it's not currently possible to request information that would allow doing this elegantly, btu I'll have to discuss it with Cloudef (who makes libmilky).

I'd love to include that in the OS, so it would be cool if you could get back to me for recipe creation.

Is there some GIT for this?
There are several Gits, actually.

https://github.com/Panorama/panorama is the main Git maintained by dflemstr, currently a bit out of date since he hasn't reviewed some of my changes yet. Will be updated eventually.

https://github.com/bzar/panorama is my fork of the main git. I do all my cutting-edge development here ;)

https://github.com/bzar/panorama-pnd contains a (broken and hacky) build system for making panorama PNDs, complete with the included Qt build

As I said on gp32x " I'd REALLY like to work on panorama more right now, but I REALLY REALLY want to get wars-gamenode to a stable state before I do
smile.gif
". As soon as wars-gamenode hits 1.0, I'll switch my focus to panorama for a while again. Before that I'll mostly do bugfix releases.

I'v had my Pandora for a while now but never got round to commenting on the apps i use. but i felt the need for this app

This is a amazing app to use. the "MilkyTest" Is so much easier to use than PNDStore, Also it fits in with the minimenu very well. Probably one the better things compared to the PNDStore is the Download bar. After letting all the thumbnails load it scrolls quite smoothly. Another 1up on the PNDStore is that this provides a description on the PND your currently looking at.

Panorama > PNDStore

I'm getting close to reaching a milestone in my other project, after which I plan to get back to working on panorama.

My first priorities will be to create a launcher/package manager UI based on MilkyTest (called something else, ideas?) and make milky-plugin support the awesome new features in Cloudef's libmilky (background downloads, database merges). I have a bunch of ideas on how to make it better and this will probably keep me busy for a while :p . If you have ideas for this new UI (in addition to those already mentioned), now would be a good time to present them. :)

After I have a decent UI up I'll look into some other feature requests to see how feasible they would be. I'm taking suggestions. A ROM indexer/emulator launcher plugin is one I intend to prototype, but I'm not yet sure if I have the time to implement a decent one at this point. If someone who knows his way around Qt wants to give it a try I'll provide assistance the best I can.

Generally speaking, at this point I'll try to do UI and plugin work to make panorama useful in everyday use-cases. The more advanced features (like system settings and application switching) discussed earlier are a lot higher hanging fruits which may be addressed later. First and foremost, I'll try to make using a pandora easier through tight integration.

I'll also prototype using panorama as a "full UI" selectable from pandora's "switch UI" dialog. This is not advised for normal use at this point as it would require installing Qt 4.7 to pandora's NAND (current pandora firmwares have Qt 4.6). We'll have to wait for "Yars" firmware for that.

Back