Panorama

OK. Every single .desktop under libpnd's management is touched when any watched folder is modified. Install a PND, every .desktop is touched, every .desktop is reloaded, almost every item in the applications model is removed and readded. Nice.

EDIT: to clarify, this (touching everything) is libpnd's feature

So let's patch libpnd?

EDIT: Oh wait, it's libpnd, and a total mess, I forgot. The issue is in pndnotifyd, so it would take a long time to get that pushed out to all devices. Is there a fast way of checking whether a file has been updated? Checksumming them would take longer than to just parse the contents, and it would not really be viable to use another mechanism than inotify for this. Ideas?

Awesome progress, thanks a lot guys!

skeezix is currently working on MiniMenu. MiniMenu will also use .desktop files in the future, will make it faster and more standard.

I'm sure he'll be happy to get libpnd patches as well :)

Managed to merge the new build system to my development branch. A couple of notices:
  • Jansson requires "autoreconf -i && ./configure" before cmake can be run successfully. Should this be made automatic?
  • Milky requires "make version" before cmake can be run successfully. Same as above.
  • Command "make package" makes nice tarballs, but is there a quick way to make the same structure without the tarring? I mean for quick testing while developing.
  • I like the new order, it's cleaner than it was before
I'm a bit of a newbie with cmake, how would I configure it to use the pandora cross-compilation toolchain and a custom build of Qt? I can look this up myself too, but a poke in the right direction or a good example would be appreciated :)

EDIT: Also, no idea so far on how to check if a file is changed aside from the current timestamp. Size could be a good approximation, but it's not bullet-proof and feels like a kludge.

B-ZaR said:
Managed to merge the new build system to my development branch. A couple of notices:
  • Jansson requires "autoreconf -i && ./configure" before cmake can be run successfully. Should this be made automatic?
This can be automated, but at the moment I just use cmake without caring about the native build system of jansson. But yeah, using EXTERNALPROJECT_ADD(), one can use the native makefiles of an external project.

B-ZaR said:
  • Milky requires "make version" before cmake can be run successfully. Same as above.
Yeah, can be automated, same as above.

B-ZaR said:
  • Command "make package" makes nice tarballs, but is there a quick way to make the same structure without the tarring? I mean for quick testing while developing.
You have to add a CPack generator (you can make one for a plain folder or for a PND or whatever) and add it to the CPACK_GENERATOR variable. I am still investigating how this is done, exactly.

B-ZaR said:
I'm a bit of a newbie with cmake, how would I configure it to use the pandora cross-compilation toolchain and a custom build of Qt? I can look this up myself too, but a poke in the right direction or a good example would be appreciated :)
You set variables when invoking CMake. This is how I would cross-compile stuff:
Code:
mkdir build
cd build
export QTDIR=...location of Pandora Qt...
cmake .. -DPANDORA=TRUE -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=... -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=...
make -j8
make package #(or make install or whatever)

If you have a chroot-like environment with Pandora libraries and so on, you can use "CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH" instead to set the root of your chroot, and CMake will find all of the stuff automatically. See this.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick video of progress on Consolidation. Nothing here is final and a lot of stuff (like the colors in the category filter) are very much unfinished. This video is mainly to give you an idea of the direction I'm going for with this UI regarding merging a package manager and a launcher.
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9lD8RCUvEyQ[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, setting QTDIR doesn't seem to be enough, since it still doesn't find QtDeclarative.

EDIT: HA!

EDIT2: Awww... still won't work :(

If your build directory already contains a resolved Qt installation, it won't look for a new one. Make a separate build directory for each platform that you build for and make sure that the right environment is set up the first time you use "cmake ..".

This is kind of a mundane request, but... could it please be possible to make the UI so that one can navigate it exclusively with the the d-pad and buttons, with no requirement to use the nubs or the touchscreen?

I really don't like using them on the Pandora for simple UI navigation. I find it to be slower and more cumbersome than using my thumbs on the keys.

For example, in Xfce I don't use the mouse if I can help it; I use the Pandora key to open the start menu, navigate to the program with the d-pad, and select it with "Enter". I try to use programs that require as little use of the "mouse" as possible. For example:
Links2 for web-browsing
BeeSoft Commander for file-browsing
PepViewer for image-viewing
MinAmp for music
Gnome mplayer for video

This is partially because one of my nubs has become a bit wonky (certainly an issue for many Pandora owners), but also just because it's quicker to use the keyboard than to use a cursor on the Pandora.

EDIT: To be fair, I'm not sure if this is already the case. I tried a previous version of Panorama and that required use of the touchscreen.

Esn, it mostly already is like that. Only things currently requiring touch screen are chaging the download queue bar size, canceling download items and initiating preview picture viewer. On the other hand, there's currently no way to get to application details in the launcher view using the touch screen. My goal is to make it fully usable with either one.

Game control support depends on the UI. Panorama provides good tools to implement support for both the touch screen and keyboard/game controls. MilkyTest UI for one is IIRC fully usable with only the game controls.

Remember that Panorama is a platform for UIs, not any single UI. Which UI did you try? It's defined in your settings.conf in the setting "interface".

EDIT: Oops, just came up with two things not accessible through game controls in MilkyTest: install directory selection and device selection. The first I'll fix in Consolidation and the second won't be an issue.

I have a chroot-like environment, but I want to use a different Qt version than the one provided by it. I've been trying for a few days now and I'm running out of ideas :(

EDIT: Clarification: I use YACTFEAU. I presume the environment that comes with it enough chroot-like.

EDIT2: Basically I just want to put my Qt build to the front of every link and include path list

EDIT3: Even further, I can get it to find the Qt in the cross-compile environment, but then it complains abot the missing QtDeclarative (because the one included is 4.6.x)

that explains things... I am almost never around there and I don't get email notifications properly like I do here when someone posts on a topic I'm watching...

Back