Panorama

Thanks for the effort :). I'm not surprised by the result though :p

Yeah, I have no idea what nokia is going to do with Qt. Hopefully they'll keep developing it with current (or faster) pace. All the talk about Qt5 does inspire hope though, as you say.

QML is a mess... Tons of keywords, tons of implicitness, ...
I don't mind though, because people say that "artists" (as if they were their own race or something...) find it easier to work with that way...
Sometimes I wish they really just would have made a FRP framework for plain JavaScript, though, would have made more sense.

B-ZaR said:
You mean like the "Behavior on x" stuff?
Well, QML looks like this:

Code:
import QtQuick 1.0

Rectangle {
    id: canvas
    width: 200
    height: 200
    color: "blue"
    onClicked: print("Foo")

Image {
        id: logo
        source: "pics/logo.png"
        anchors.centerIn: parent
        x: canvas.height / 5
        y: 0
        SequentialAnimation on y {
            //...
        }
    }
}
Why not:

Code:
import("QtQuick", "1.0")

canvas: Rectangle {
    width: 200
    height: 200
    color: "blue"
    clicked: function(event) {
        print("Foo")
    }

logo: Image {
        source: "pics/logo.png"
        anchors: {
            centerIn: parent
        }
        x: canvas.height / 5
        y: SequentialAnimation {
            initialValue: 0
            //...
        }
    }
}
Yes, this is more programmer-ish, but hey, it's almost-but-not-quite JavaScript (Only differences: implicit JSON root, and "Rectangle {...}" instead of "new Rectangle({...})") and more consistent (And it would remove attached properties, implicit delegate members...)

I sure like changing things, don't I...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I just tried out the version on the Repo recently... I feel like I'm missing something. None of the Pandora's input controls do anything except for the mouse and its buttons. It also took a rather long time to load, about 30 seconds.

Esn: Delete your existing panorama appdata. You probably have old versions of the UIs there that are not compatible with the current version.

dflemstr: The property animation part is probably to separate the UI state from state transitions. With the current system the QML UI can be first created without transitions and then transitions can be added without any changes to the actual functionality-providing code. The import and function parts look like removing implicit stuff, like what's being done with expression closures in JavaScript (eg. protovis uses these). Basically anything you put to the property is a function, so why add redundant information to clutter the code? Same with the import statement.

I get that it would be cleaner as a language (looking bottom-up) with fewer concepts, but it's designed to be clean and easily readable to the user (UI designer). As you already pointed out :) . I think the principle is comparable to that of python, which removed a lot of control characters compared to many other languages as redundant in the context they were used in. Not everyone liked this of course, but less characters code elements is easier to understand than more.

B-ZaR said:
Esn: Delete your existing panorama appdata. You probably have old versions of the UIs there that are not compatible with the current version.
No, this was my first time downloading.

I'll try deleting the appdata dir, anyway...

Esn said:
No, this was my first time downloading.

I'll try deleting the appdata dir, anyway...

Then it shouldn't be the problem. Which UI are you using (the default is "Test")? Have you tried other UIs? Try switching to "TestSuite" UI (edit settings.cfg in your appdata) and press the game buttons. It should report which buttons you have pressed.

hi getting same issue as esn; testsuite recognises direction pad; abyx buttons but not enter key

edit
Test works but won't launch any apps
Magma comes up as blackscreen
Simplicity works
Tabbed works
Colors works but dialogue box asking wether you want to add to favourites appears and is non repsonsive

^ Hey, thanks for reporting, both of you :)

- TestSuite only reports game key presses.
- Test we'll have to take a look into, as well as Colors.
- Magma bug is fixed in the git version, I'll make a new PND soon that contains the fix. Today if dflemstr has no objections.

EDIT: Test fixed. It currently only starts applications by double clicking (by design, hasn't been updated to use the game controls I think) though.

Having an annoying as hell bug in Tabbed. I've been trying to wrap my mind around it for a couple of days, but it seems QML just works silly in that regard. I may just have to engineer around the problem.

Basically, the Repeater element seems to change its behavior. In some cases after creating the elements its the last child of its parent, in some cases the first. This kinda messes up my tab indexing :(

EDIT: Hacked by way around.

Fixed the bug... for some value of "fix". It's a kludge, but works with no changes to the user. The actual problem lies deeper in the setting system and should be reviewed more throughly.

I think this would be a good spot to put out a 0.1.2. Dflemstr, could you tag the release since your git has all the tags so far? I'll put out the PND.

New stuff in 0.1.2:

• Fixed Magma (again)
  • Fixed fullsreen handling
  • Fixed messed up tabs in Tabbed
  • Fixed keys and execution in Test
  • Improved scaling and performance for Tabbed

All right, I'm back from a trip to Portugal and back to working on stuff.

The tagged 0.1.2 release isn't from the same commit as the one you used to make the PND, but oh well.

Mostly, the difference is that settings are properly reified in this release.

Welcome back! Well, from the user's standpoint everything looks and works the same, so no harm done :) . I've been working on the milky package management plugin (haven't pushed in a while though). Libmilky has a load of signals and messages it puts out and I've been busy wrapping those into neat little Qt signals to be used in the UI.

EDIT: Ooh! I've also tried the Qt 4.7.3 build provided in this thread. So far with little success. I don't even get a window :(. My main inspiration for using this would be trying to get the OpenGL acceleration working. The current build I'm using has some mixed feelings about what version of OGLES it wants to use.

So not that much is happening, mainly because I start working with a new employer tomorrow, and you seem to be busy too. Another siesta for a week, or what?

Well, I have been doing the milky plugin, but not as fast as I did before. Something like development fatigue, which made me lose myself in minecraft for a bit after the latest update. And yesterday I did a bit of planning for the GameNode version of Wars to get me back on track and off the minecrack. The weekend went in social circles.

I'll have to rewrite some of the plugin because of a stupid design decision on my part. I only noticed it after making a UI that actually uses the plugin in some way. Didn't get anywhere with the Qt 4.7.3 port sebt3 offered. I'll try to get back to panorama as soon as I can.

B-ZaR said:
Well, I have been doing the milky plugin, but not as fast as I did before. Something like development fatigue, which made me lose myself in minecraft for a bit after the latest update. And yesterday I did a bit of planning for the GameNode version of Wars to get me back on track and off the minecrack. The weekend went in social circles.

I'll have to rewrite some of the plugin because of a stupid design decision on my part. I only noticed it after making a UI that actually uses the plugin in some way. Didn't get anywhere with the Qt 4.7.3 port sebt3 offered. I'll try to get back to panorama as soon as I can.
If you ever need another break, come visit the Minecraft server that Akintudne and I are hosting. (Home page, server "IP": akintudne.dyndns.org, IRC: #akintudne on GeekShed)...

Haven't had time to be there a lot as of recent, but I still visit it daily and of course administer the whole backend stuff. We have one of the most long-lived, stable, high-quality and kinda popular servers of all time (Server started in August 2010 with 98% uptime, 4 world resets and 3 server migrations since then). Things are rougher than usual because of a few plugin bugs, but all in all it's a nice server.

Back