Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

PokeParadox said:
Eeep... well yes the Pandora supports TV-out and USB and Penjin supports USB remapping of the SimpleJoy... what it currently doesn't do is allow multiple SimpleJoys for multiplayer. Also we don't know how the display functionality of the TV out is going to work yet with regards to displaying separate pictures. So... good idea, but let's not get everyone too excited yet... :)
SimpleJoy - I just need to find some time to hack in device number checking.
TV-out - I'm guessing we get a 640x480 display but again currently I have no idea how one would access this.

wellll, i know it's not happening anytime soon, heck the tv out cables are scheduled for october, and might have to add 2 months to that. And i think that when that time comes more people will want to render something different on the second screen, so i expect things will be clearer then.

I really was just brainstorming and throwing up an idea, and it does not hurt to keep this in mind while adding or modifying code ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i needed a warmup, so i messed around with an arcade mode for panjoust.

p.s. played with death off, so i could be a bit more bold ;)

Edit: Ah did not use it optimal yet, but obviously still with death off :p

Looks nice, brings back the PP memories ;)
With this set-up a two player mode where you try to kill the other guy would be feasible and pretty fun, I think. You could still add a few enemies to mix things up and add some degree of chaos (or add some enemies randomly from time to time, which fly in from outside the screen).

One think I noted:
The hero blinks when you flap (press A) while facing right.
I looked into this, as I though it might be caused by my recent changes, because I did never notice it before.
Well, here is what causes this:
Code:
void HeroBird::wingFlap()
  [...]
  birdright.setCurrentFrame(8);
  // this sets the animation to the 8th frame, while the animation just has 8 frames, with 0 being the first
  // so you actually set it out of bounds and the engine tries to render a non-existent frame, fails and renders nothing instead
I will look into this and maybe add a check in AnimatedSprite, but you should not do that anyway ;)

Keep it up :)

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Looks nice, brings back the PP memories ;)
With this set-up a two player mode where you try to kill the other guy would be feasible and pretty fun, I think. You could still add a few enemies to mix things up and add some degree of chaos (or add some enemies randomly from time to time, which fly in from outside the screen).

One think I noted:
The hero blinks when you flap (press A) while facing right.
I looked into this, as I though it might be caused by my recent changes, because I did never notice it before.
Well, here is what causes this:
Code:
void HeroBird::wingFlap()
  [...]
  birdright.setCurrentFrame(8);
  // this sets the animation to the 8th frame, while the animation just has 8 frames, with 0 being the first
  // so you actually set it out of bounds and the engine tries to render a non-existent frame, fails and renders nothing instead
I will look into this and maybe add a check in AnimatedSprite, but you should not do that anyway ;)

Keep it up :)

foxblock out

Thanks, completely different code as the minigame though, with all the good stuff from the full game to mess around with ;) Also i made the characters smaller to have some more playing space. And interaction between players is planned for tonight/tomorrow, so might have something to show soon.
But 2 player won't be useful yet, at least till usb controller input and pandora keys are supported at the same time in penjin, playing wih 2 people on one pandora is not really nice. And i looked, but i think it's a bit beyond me to add it myself. Don't get me wrong, i'm certain i could make it work, but penjin would get a mess ;)

And yeah, the player started blinking after you changed the code, but i've just been too damn lazy to search for it the past week, so thanks for finding it :lol:

Cheers!

Fox: No blinking, and i think you were thinking something along the lines of this? :D Adding scoring/death between heroes is trivial.

General note: i'm controlling both birds myself on my pc keyboard (but i'm getting better at it and enjoying it during this video, hope it shows : ) This one also has pretty decent audio/video quality.

Disclaimer: Birds normally don't fly like that, well they do, for a very short while, then you just die, but i don't, because i'm god, , ,.... ahum well, drunken coding at it's finest i guess, im having fun, enjoy!!

Hello, update

Ok, www.panjoust.com is live! It currently directs to, also new, www.markoez.com where the files are hosted. Once hosting is arranged nicely they will become different pages. Also don't look at the style too much yet, it's just a quick throw together.

Artists, if you would like your name mentioned as something different then your forum name, pm or post here. And if you have personal websites you would like to point to on clicking your name, that's also possible. Again, pm me or post here :) There will remain a small credits section on the main page, as well as a deticated credits page with examples of the artists work later on.

As always, suggestions on the webpage or the game are welcome!

Todo:
* Arcade: random egg appearance and collect
* Arcade: scoring in 2 player kill mode, plan is to have scoring for each player, and several lives, can be lost by being hit by the other hero too many times, say 5, being hit by a NPC bird, or flying into a spike
* main game: tune enemy birdrider behaviour a bit more since that's the dominant enemy
* Webpage: create menu system and different pages. Tips on menu system welcome!! it's been a while

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Update time!

I've been making some small improvements to the general game, no major news there yet though.
But i've been playing around with the Arcade version and it's shaping up nicely.
Also, PokeParadox seems to be progressing well with the Penjin multiple controller setup, so things are looking good for a video out cable release of this version :)

Cheers!!

Looking really great!

Some ideas which come to my mind: (for your consideration, might be hard to implement or not fit in the game)
- power-ups (invincibility, bait - which makes all enemies attack the other player, reverse controls - reverses controls for the other player, speed - makes you faster or the other player slower, etc.)
This can be a fun idea for the arcade mode to mix things up a bit. An option to disable power-ups might be a good idea, though - for players wanting the classic experience ;)
You can also add more of them in later updates to extend the experience.

- combos (killing an enemy which kills the other player or other enemies while falling off screen awards extra points)

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Looking really great!

Some ideas which come to my mind: (for your consideration, might be hard to implement or not fit in the game)
- power-ups (invincibility, bait - which makes all enemies attack the other player, reverse controls - reverses controls for the other player, speed - makes you faster or the other player slower, etc.)
This can be a fun idea for the arcade mode to mix things up a bit. An option to disable power-ups might be a good idea, though - for players wanting the classic experience ;)
You can also add more of them in later updates to extend the experience.

- combos (killing an enemy which kills the other player or other enemies while falling off screen awards extra points)

foxblock out
Thanks!

The idea of powerups has been on the todo list a looong time, just a case of little time and much to do. And some things are just overlooked a lot. I have egg collection semi working, it's not in the video yet (well some none working in level 3) because it's a bit buggy. Think it has to do with the cameraoffset settings for the main game. Anyway, i'll find it.
Some nice suggestions there, i especially like the bait idea, with a timer added. say 20 seconds of birdstrikes? (varies depending on difficulty setting and level perhaps)

Cheers!

Turns out, that last thing is what i'm implementing right now, a difficulty setting. And in multiplayer, adjustable handicap per player.
Playing together works pretty nice. But with a handicap i might even have some fun playing against other players.... (new, but if anyone wants, i'm up for the challenge!! :p )

4 General modes: Wussy, Normal, Hard, and finally, Insane.
Think i'll keep those categories for the handicap in 2 player as well. All this ofcourse requires an options screen, that i got mostly working atm.

So it's time to decide on what attributes to adjust on difficulty setting. Now i got most of the general game planned in my head, ideas still welcome for that, but i'm mostly interested in:
The arcade mode. For handicaps, the obvious: less wingflaps, more other-hero-hits for a kill or score penalty, less score on enemies and collectibles. Harder but possible: more bird attraction for handicapped player.

Cheers!
MarkoeZ

Edit: But Power-Ups are coming!! ;)

Great game! Default setting is already pretty hard for me, but it sure is fun to play and looks very nice.

Probably already mentioned (or even already implemented in later levels), but for a handicap you could use some kind of wind mode (you could even make it switch from the back to the front), maybe even some leafs flowing by.

And we really need a rocket power-up to blast the birds out of the sky. That would be fun :)

Anyway, great job and keep it up.

b_o_b said:
Great game! Default setting is already pretty hard for me, but it sure is fun to play and looks very nice.

Well those are just some levels slapped together for the demo, and the difficulty settings for the main game will have effect on enemy speed, enemy chase, etc. So the demo is somewhere between what will become normal and hard settings probably. (but i'm voting for normal ; )

b_o_b said:
Probably already mentioned (or even already implemented in later levels), but for a handicap you could use some kind of wind mode (you could even make it switch from the back to the front), maybe even some leafs flowing by.

Maybe later, but not anytime soon.

b_o_b said:
And we really need a rocket power-up to blast the birds out of the sky. That would be fun :)

whaha, never in the full game, but as an unlockable feature or something in arcade it would be great :D Then again, arrow shooting would fit the theme pretty well

Anyway, thanks for the support and the feedback!

Cheers,
MarkoeZ

Aaaand.... another update.

The difficulty settings screen, in video blog style as usual. But Beta, and no music to preserve my bandwidth a bit. Currently for the arcade version, but it will be used for the main game as well.

Also, in the easiest mode, your hero does not fall down after x flaps anymore (well, 99, but if you have not died or killed anything by then you deserve to drop like a brick imo). That should simplify things a lot for newcomers. In single player mode, score is also adjusted though, so no easy score runs possible ;)

Enjoy!

Wow... Feels like an eternity since I've been here... I have to stop being lazy and work on... Wait, I haven't even a clue what's being worked on! Whatever the case is, I thought you might like this screenshot I took:

w0nk8m.jpg

So you compiled it for Mac? nice
What compiler did you use? did you need any other external libraries (apart from SDL)? Was there a need to change something in the code? How well does it run?
Just a screenshot is not enough information for me ;)

Hahahahahaha! I wish I knew how to do that! I didn't do any compiling at all. Just got a little help from WINE ;)
Do you see Steam running? Well somebody did a CXZ port of Steam. Thus, any PC games that don't have Mac ports can be run with varying degrees of success. I got the PC version of Braid running, as well as Pandjoust.
http://portingteam.com/zero/2010/05/steam-pc/
http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=2256&start=0

There's quite a bit more to it, I'm sure, but all I had to do was add Pandjoust to the game library and presto.
But the idea that I ported it is the funniest thing I've heard all month :D.
Don't get me wrong, I still want to learn C++, but not just yet.

Oh well, I had my hopes up... it is not much of an achievement then, is it ;)
You should get into C++ programming (or maybe C to begin with) and porting, it is not THAT hard ;)
But yeah, still nice to see it is running.

Back