Pandoras Little Brother.

PhonicUK

Website
www.phonicuk.com
http://sharism.cc/

Tiny little thing, but no WiFi/Bluetooth + QVGA screen.
336MHz MIPS CPU
32MB RAM
MicroSD Slot
2GB Flash
Mini-USB
QWERTY keyboard.

It can run Quake I (probably II at a push) and you can probably plug in a USB WiFi adapter.

£90 GBP (Incl VAT+Shipping) ^_^

PhonicUK said:
http://sharism.cc/

Tiny little thing, but no WiFi/Bluetooth + QVGA screen.
336MHz MIPS CPU
32MB RAM
MicroSD Slot
2GB Flash
Mini-USB
QWERTY keyboard.

It can run Quake I (probably II at a push) and you can probably plug in a USB WiFi adapter.

£90 GBP (Incl VAT+Shipping) ^_^
NO GAME CONTROLS=USELESS!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52225-ben-nanonote-now-on-sale/

RajTakhar said:
It looks cool, but i'd rather wait till pandora is out
Well said. No WiFi is a problem...

Main problem is that for a lot of things, a console is useless if its < 80 characters wide. This thing looks like its 45 at best.

I can see the market for it. Notes on the go, mostly. If I just wanted an organizer, this would probably be a very good choice. It's tiny and pocketable, and does pretty much everything you would want in an organizer except maybe internet. Plus it's cheap. Yeah, the Pandora does all that and more, but it's price tag reflects it, and some people may not need a lot of those features.

It seems to be comparable to a Zipit Z2. While this thing has a larger nand, the Z2 has wifi and cost me only $25.

I would say it's always nice to see some other device... I can't say I am impressed by the spec though. (the relatively low resolution screen is definitely a big down)

http://sharism.cc/specs/

Then again it seems to sell for $99.00

keek said:
It seems to be comparable to a Zipit Z2. While this thing has a larger nand, the Z2 has wifi and cost me only $25.
But it's pretty hard to find Zipit in europe.
I would love to get a Zipit Z2, but I don't really want to buy it on eBay :/

The price is great.
If it only had TV out and wifi.Nokia n900 would be perfect for me except for the price it is to much for me.
Pandora is also prefect for me but unfortunately not here yet and still on pre order with a unknown long wait to arrive.
I am still interested in Pandora but i hear the price will go up and if it is going over the 300 euro well for me it's gone be priced out of the market.
300 euro is about the right price for me for a Pandora.
This gizmo here is correct for me on price but not really on specs With wifi and TV out i would pay about 200 euro(including TV out cable).
And the Nokia 900 well i do not really want a Phone and that is making it to high in price (510 - 600 euro)Including TV out cable.
So for now the Pandora is the winner on spects (if it would only be easy to get one soon).

Great find though.

cixelsyd said:
This gizmo here is correct for me on price but not really on specs With wifi and TV out i would pay about 200 euro(including TV out cable).
I think you are overestimating the specs of this little machine. Wifi and SDTV out would only add maybe $20 of parts (plus effort to figure out where to put them). You're really willing to pay 130 Euro more for something that costs about 15 Euro to add? It costs $99, and that cost is low compared to everything else because it a fairly underpowered machine, compared to other *books. If the Pandora or Nokia has the functionality you want, this will be very lacking to you, even if Wifi and TV out were added.

So it's being compared to Pandora now?

I'm going to say what I say in every thread about this - there are alternatives that are superior to this in every conceivable way, and it all around doesn't fit within its own limitations very well.

I'll be surprised if they sell many of these except to the absolute haughtiest open source proponents, who will buy anything that supports the cause.

Open source hardware should be a means to an end, but you can see that Qi has made it an end unto itself. I think that instead of looking for toy projects to push copyleft with they should come up with compelling hardware first.

nah, that's not really a well thought out device.

mind you, i have a weak spot for tiny gadgets (especialy with keyboard) and even more for linux on them. but this - well. the screen is really sucky - qvga. that's C64 resolution. would definitely be ok for a media player, but this thing is huge. a 3" screen and a thick bezel - that's totally unsexy. also the keyboard is strange, to say the least. and then 2 GB and 32 MB ram? not really up to snuff.

if the thing would either be smaller - basically a mp3 payer with 'keyboard' and linux on it - or a little bit more powerfull - vga is easily possible, as are 128MB ram and more flash - it could be cool. like a 2" qvga screen pmp with fold-out microkeyboard and linux - a usb stik computer. but this thing? no thanks. not even for 50 bucks.

Back