Ben Nanonote

Exophase said:
second exodous said:
EDIT: After looking it over, pics and specs, and looking at the name, NanoNote, I realize it's a great device for typing. It's not for games, not meant for emulators, just note taking and I bet someone could write a novel on it. For that it's great, in fact if that's what you want it for underpowered is a plus, less distraction

I think something like this is about the last thing I'd want to type a paper (much less a novel) on. The resolution is very low and the keyboard is very small, cramped, non-standard, and it doesn't look especially ergonomic for its form factor. I'd much sooner choose a low end netbook.
Well, I have a Japanese friend that reads books from Japan and she tells me what authors wrote their books exclusively with cell phones. They aren't small books either, basically novels. That makes sense, the Zarus was more popular in Japan than it was in the US, it's more acceptable to use a small device to write on. I do know people that write quite a bit on phones here in the US on those cramped keyboards, I don't know any authors, so I don't think they write as much they would a book.

The Pandora is the first device that I'll own with a small keyboard that looks comfortable so I'll have to try it before I decide if it would be feasible to do a lot of typing on the NanoNote.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't see what this would be good for. With no gaming controls, it certainly won't be any good for that. The Dingoo is cheaper and has ~ the same processing power in a much more convenient form factor. With only a 320x240 display and no wifi, it's pretty much useless for any sort of productivity software as well. Even if you wanted to go back in time by a decade or so and use it as a PIM, the keypad isn't even convenient for that purpose without number keys. Not to mention the lack of a touchscreen or even any analog pointing device would make PIM navigation arduous.

Full points to Generic Chinese Factory #61312 for coming up with a totally original device. Next time though, they might want to stop and think why nobody's bothered come up with it before.

I think their idea of a Wikipedia device has some merit. Not a lot, but some. With WiFi it could have been a competitor for TwitterPeek. But always offline wikipedia has some merit. As for gaming, I'm pretty sure you could play infocom games on it. :)

I like it. I like the idea of a cheap pandora with less cpu, less quality. I don't care for wifi. I simply want good software(pda things, simple emulators, ebooks, lot of software).

Xmoon said:
I like it. I like the idea of a cheap pandora with less cpu, less quality. I don't care for wifi. I simply want good software(pda things, simple emulators, ebooks, lot of software).
Don't think of it as a cheap Pandora, it can't do 1/10 of what a Pandora can do. Think of it as a cheap device for basically just taking notes(hence the name). It's lack of features some people might like because there is less distraction that comes with it. It's definitely not for everyone. The only reason I would consider buying one is if I like to type on my Pandora and want to eliminate the distractions for whatever reason. If this came out before I pre-ordered my Pandora I might have gotten one but as of now I think I can live without.

I just reread the site and subscribed to their planet. It's beginning to grow on me, I did notice that the pandora is really getting ready, but I think this and wiz could be a potent combination. As I already have a wiz and haven't preordered a pandora, this combination is only 100€ away. Of course, I might just shell the money for a n900 or something.

D'oh looks kinda fagged, do not want wuaaaaaaaaaaaaagh :eek:!

The 2nd revision of the Nanonote, called the Ya Nanonote is coming.
I'm actually a big fan of the Ben Nanonote, despite it's modest specifications.
I really love the keyboard and to be honest it's a better layout and easier to use than the Pandora.
Looking forward to this version. Supposed to have double the RAM (32MB -> 64MB), USB Host, improved LCD screen.

Cool, I never got around to picking up a Ben. But the dosbox goodness is certainly tempting. Thankfully they've got an aggressive upgrade schedule :)

BTW, for some reason it just dawned on me that your nick is Slaanesh. Our board game group recently got Chaos in the Old World. You should check it out :)

klikklak said:
Cool, I never got around to picking up a Ben. But the dosbox goodness is certainly tempting. Thankfully they've got an aggressive upgrade schedule :)

BTW, for some reason it just dawned on me that your nick is Slaanesh. Our board game group recently got Chaos in the Old World. You should check it out :)

I'm certainly getting the Ya Nanonote when it's released.

I used to play Warhammer 40K and RPG - thus my name. I used to have a Slaanesh army.

I never got into miniature games and I don't play rpg's anymore, but we play board games, like carcassone or puerto rico. Chaos in the Old World is set in warhammer, but it's a regular board game.

But Ya looks good, I didn't think they'd start producing it so fast. I'm really lazy reading their mailing list, but I was under the impression that it'd be a 2012 event.

Back