PandoraPress: Featured Game of The Week

Well not saying the series is dead, I understand that there are not too many people willing to do guest reviews so I gladly do some on my own.

Still, I won't have time every week and while I can't speak for the rest of the team, this also was not the way a "community" series should be planned :p

Also no reason in maintaining a series nobody is interested in, but I am not willing to believe that for now.

I'll try my best to get something written up for Word War Vi before Thursday. I might possibly have the time to do it tonight, if painting the last wall in my bedroom doesn't take too long.

I have great interest in keeping the blog going. Before I got my shipping notice email, I had stopped checking the forums a few months after ordering (the waiting was too much to bear by itself. Adding forum drama to the wait made it unbearable).

Pandora Press was the only thing that kept me informed for years. I'd hate to see it simply sputter out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try my best to get something written up for World War Vi before Thursday. I might possibly have the time to do it tonight, if painting the last wall in my bedroom doesn't take too long.

I have great interest in keeping the blog going. Before I got my shipping notice email, I had stopped checking the forums a few months after ordering (the waiting was too much to bear by itself. Adding forum drama to the wait made it unbearable).

Pandora Press was the only thing that kept me informed for years. I'd hate to see it simply sputter out.

when you do this, please make sure to include complete key-ology. I tried playing this, and I didn't know what each key was doing, and what were those weird flames in one type of shoot :)

No problem, but I must confess that I did not have the time to write anything last night due to the wall being one of the worst I've painted in my house so far. I had a lot of repair work to do on it (plus removing the huge shades and blinds from the large window was a chore in and of itself).

I will work on it either today or tonight and have it to you by tomorrow morning (my time zone is GMT -5:00).

Okay, PM sent, foxblock. I did not get the time to write up an extensive review as I would have liked (i.e. no gameplay hints, cosurgi), but I think I said everything that I'd really like to say.

Okay, PM sent, foxblock. I did not get the time to write up an extensive review as I would have liked (i.e. no gameplay hints, cosurgi), but I think I said everything that I'd really like to say.
congrats again David on great writeup :)

I suppose that next week will be a real challenge, anybody volunteers?

I can do some writeup about vgolf. But I don't know if it is so good, if always the same people write the articles.

Calling all Pandora Owners. Calling all Pandora Owners. Your community needs you!

Are you playing a great homebrew game that's not been mentioned in the series so far?

We need your words.

Edit:

I can do some writeup about vgolf. But I don't know if it is so good, if always the same people write the articles.
:ph34r:

Early days. Your words are welcome. If Foxblock is busy then I'll post it.

well, while I don't technically own a pandora yet I know of several games that play exceptionally well on it. scummvm games and the like. would anyone be interested in reviews written by semi-initiated enthusiasts? this is a bloody-brilliant idea and I would like to help continue it if I can.

well, while I don't technically own a pandora yet I know of several games that play exceptionally well on it. scummvm games and the like. would anyone be interested in reviews written by semi-initiated enthusiasts? this is a bloody-brilliant idea and I would like to help continue it if I can.

Sure, if I was writing the article it wouldn't be by a Pandora owner, too ;) . As long as you have played the games it is fine, maybe you can ask around or look in the respective threads for some opinions on the Pandora controls.

The idea of the series initially was not about emulated games, but those are still games, so...

Here are some other games very suitable for the series:

Frogatto, Wesnoth, Cave Story (Ginge-wrapped), GemRB. Residual, Minetest, Sqrxz, the list is basically endless already, so pick your personal favourite (if it is an underdog game, which has not gotten much attention yet, the better).

Here are some other games very suitable for the series:

Frogatto, Wesnoth, Cave Story (Ginge-wrapped), GemRB. Residual, Minetest, Sqrxz, the list is basically endless already, so pick your personal favourite (if it is an underdog game, which has not gotten much attention yet, the better).

just to let you know there is a non GINGE-WRAPPED Cave story now available on the repo, so no need to have the ginge wrapped version.

just to let you know there is a non GINGE-WRAPPED Cave story now available on the repo, so no need to have the ginge wrapped version.
That is not exactly true as it is an engine rewrite, not the original game.

I haven't tried it yet, but while it seems to be pretty close to the original there are a few problems.

Early days. Your words are welcome. If Foxblock is busy then I'll post it.

Good call, I just remembered I won't be around for the rest of the week, so if you are writing an article, please also send it to may88 - if you only send it to me it most likely won't get published this week.

If multiple articles might be submitted we will keep the later one(s) for next week of course, nothing will be lost.

great! I think the most sensible requirement is that there is a .pnd for that game in the repo, so that it will be just click&run for people. Or if it's not in repo, then please add instructions about how to run in on pandora. If you don't have pandora, somebody will need to help you with that, and check if this game runs. Maybe I'll be able to check this, since I have pandora, but maybe also other people too. Just let us know which game you have in mind, and we will try if it runs.

Also, I discovered how to enable joystick in "word war vi" and "freedroid", that's a hacky way, and I'm sure that it can be moved into Nubs settings dialog. This is what I do:

Code:
sudo su

cd /dev/input

rm js0

ln -s js1 js0

above terminal commands make joystick1 to pretend that it is joystick0. Games (for some unknown reason) only use joystick0, while left nub is stubbronly joystick1. nubs configuration dialog box certainly could solve that.

But after this change it is possible to run "word war vi" & "freedroid" without any configuration changes., Just click & run the .pnd.

I was playing recently a little of "freedroid" and "ur quan masters", so I can try to write something about them, but not this week - this week is too hard for me. I'll try next week :)

Back