Game Of The Week/fortnight/month

DrCJBoduma

Website
Visit site
Hi,

Was thinking of setting up a small community type webpage focusing on a particular game over a week/month. The goal being to introduce people to new or forgotten games and also get some kind of comptetive element to it (highscores, challenges).

What do you think? Would you be interested?

Thanks

DrCJBoduma

DrCJBoduma said:
Hi,

Was thinking of setting up a small community type webpage focusing on a particular game over a week/month. The goal being to introduce people to new or forgotten games and also get some kind of comptetive element to it (highscores, challenges).

Thanks

DrCJBoduma
Wasn't there a thread about this long, long ago? I have very distant memories of one.

Anyways, I don't think that there should be a whole page just dedicated to showing one game (the game of the week or w/e) with the rest built around that. Something I'd rather accept would be a site where users can add games, rate them, write reviews etc and then one element of that site would be a small box containing "the game of the week". Just a thought.

Oh and a highscore system would be complex to create, but I'd love it if there was one API that every Pandora game would use so that you could get all highscores on a central page. I don't think that that's going to happen, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
DrCJBoduma said:
Hi,

Thanks

DrCJBoduma

I agree with the above poster: this doesn't seem like something an entire website should be based off of, but rather an element of a larger-scale website. Maybe have just a general pandora gaming site, with a featured game every week or two? Just my thoughts.

I agree with the above comments. having been a person who didn't even have a PC during the early years of DOS and Windows. Many games passed by without my ever having a chance to play them. If you could host a Pandora game site where I could come see what games are being played and seeing info and tips or comments, that would be both helpful and interesting. Might help me find and play games without having to patrol the forums looking for posts that mention them then having to google to find out more.

Then maybe the game of the week can be the one with the most views or comments or something. I hope you don't abandon the idea just because we would like more than a one game at a time site. having run a small site before I can understand though that a one at a time kinda thing would be much easier to handle/maintain. So I'll still be interested in checking it out whichever way you go with it.

puppydee said:
You mean a website just like mobygames? That's pretty much the same as what your thinking of, reviews etc :blink:

He's probably thinking more based around the community here, so it's more likely to be things you can play or may like, as opposed to just Googling "best games for (someconsole)".

I'm not knocking his idea, I thought about something similar a while back but I don't have the patience or knowledge to do it justice so I'm all for it. I never really bothered with computers or consoles after I foolishly sold my amiga back in the day so I've missed 1000's of games in between then and now. I've always been a 2d platform person so there's tons of them out there that I have no knowledge of so any info on them would be great. I'm sorta hoping to get back into things when I get my pandora, that's the plan anyway. I think if people could add games(not the actual software[Piracy is bad :blink: ), reviews, cheats, box covers, screenshots and especially video of the games you'd be onto a winner maybe.

I'd like something like this - it would be a good way of discovering new gems as well as recalling familiar-but-forgotten favourites.

I have a suggestion to make, in addition to what's already been said - it may be worth noting if a featured game has been made legally freely available by its developers, too (as long as well-intentioned but misinformed "abandonware" links don't have a chance to get in, at any rate :p). There are quite a lot of good games available in this way.

I would be interested, though maybe not an "avid" player. Maybe we can make a connection API for it or something that developers can use. I am a PHP developer, and I have done some C on the PSP(for piKey(infer red keyboard plugin)), but I am really apt at content management stuff in PHP + MySQL.

I started up something a couple months back (thrn got wrecked by work and life), but hope to get back to it again; I didn't see a lot of interest, but I coudl see it building up over time (and certainly after awhile, with a big back-catalog it could become a resource.) (For archive sake, I posted them to my blog as well, what the heck.)

I could see it as itsown website for sure (probably 'should be' if it got large enough), but I wanted to do it here for for this is probably the most 'at home' for a web forum for me .. peopel always lamanet about losing 'the BBS days' which were very close knit and local, and in a way I see gp32x as a 'community, without borders' .. people are pretty cxlose around here, despite the hard flaming you get as a newbie :)

Anyway, I did 3 or 4 Atari ST ones, but was hoping others would pick it up for other platforms as well.

By the way, I've pretty much decided this weeks 'game of the week' is Arkanoid (all platforms, arcade especially, and notably the ST and Amiga versions.) I just have no time to report on it, but I'll resumew maybe next week or the week after.

jeff

Hi guys. I am a VJ and have just started to do a weekly, 1 hour live vj broadcast stream over the internet.

I use U stream connected via Adobe Media Encoder 3 (i have a capture device which alows me to broadcast av signals / connect to my vj rig)

I was having a chat with a mate last night actually and I think its a great idea to revisit the old skool classics. The good thing about u stream, although it is free, it allows people to connect to the channel and chat also. Great if people want to play through a game, and if they get stuck, help will be at hand! The idea of setting challenges to the dedicated player (like games master) would also be good.

I guess this suggestion would be a small element of a larger scale website as mentioned by wermy (live reviews / challenges)

I'm actually scheduled to do a test broadcast tonight funny enough where I will be performing a live vj set to a pre recorded mix. Hopefully that should give you an idea of what can be achieved.

Head over to hardcoretv.biz. I plan to broadcast at 9pm - 10pm. I might even through in a little bit of Sonic Mega Mix just for fun! lol

Edit: Typo

If you were referring to me about wanting reviews etc. NO. I am not interested so much in reviews (reviews are rather subjective as I might love a game you'd hate), and have never visited Mobygames. what the OP suggested was a game of the week site. the first posters suggested more than one game at a time. I was suggesting maybe the game of the week was the one with the most current interest.
To clarify, during the posts about DOSBOX here, I see someone mention a game title, then I have to google to find out what the game is for then I have to see what platform the game title poster was posting about (DOS,Windows,Amiga etc.) then check out the specific platform for info or screen shots.

i was saying it would be nice say when Pickle starts unloading the things he's been working on to be able to hop over to a Pandora site where I can see these old games, the platform it was for, what people think or tips they give etc (reviews if they feel like it) maybe some screen shots etc. So i can get an idea if I want to track down an old game. Might be a good resource for the non console side of things to help us all find out about the games, what we need to find (what and where to buy the old CD roms), how to rip/package game files etc. While That may turn out to be relatively easy, I cannot assume that everyone will know as much as I do, while I know that there are those will know more than I do, as well.

Just a thought, but it might be difficult to maintain such a site. So i could understand if it's more than the OP wants to do. In any case I will check it out.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, am off on holiday for a bit, will have a go at knocking something up when I get back.

Back