Beta Pandorapanic! All New Testbuilds

Last edited by a moderator:
OK The RC1 builds are mostly all uploaded now and the download link is below. (Still missing a 32b linux build-I can't seem to get it to compile on my x64 Ubuntu...)

Some things I need to point out.
  • The keys for the Pandora build are a lot of guesswork... I'm not sure if I have the right button for the START button but hopefully it is. I know (that most of) the other buttons are mapped correctly and work.
  • The stars on the title screen have disappeared... I've been playing about with turning things into HW surfaces and I forgot to revert the stars before this build. So I know about this iisue already!
  • Please check the NUBs on the menu screen if you have them.
  • I only want to hear about bugs and credits errors at this point. New features are not good to be added right now unless they are really really trivial to implement!
Again... if you have actual Pandora HW please test and tell me what works, what doesn't and so on.

PandoraPanic! Downloads

Penjin says: No command line args provided.
Penjin found 0 joysticks!
Screen Info
800x480 BPP
Penjin says: No errors detected.
Segmentation fault

This is what I get after downloading all sdl dev libs etc.

senorgomez said:
Screen Info
800x480 BPP
Segmentation fault

Do you also have the media files? Everything in right places?

senorgomez said:
Screen Info
800x480 BPP
Segmentation fault

Sorry the data package is separate at this point since it's easier for uploading purposes. You need to make sure you have the Data, the executable and SDL dll/runtime.
For windows the relevent DLLs are provided, for linux you need to install SDL, SDL_image, SDL_gfx, SDL_mixer ... I think that should be it.

I must clarify things will be a lot more user friendly in this respect once we can say that the RC version is release worthy.

PokeParadox said:
Sorry the data package is separate at this point since it's easier for uploading purposes. You need to make sure you have the Data, the executable and SDL dll/runtime.
For windows the relevent DLLs are provided, for linux you need to install SDL, SDL_image, SDL_gfx, SDL_mixer ... I think that should be it.

I must clarify things will be a lot more user friendly in this respect once we can say that the RC version is release worthy.
I've tried running the game on Windows. It's not really easy, unless I missed something. There were half a dozen individual SDL dlls I had to find. I think sdlgfx was particularly tricky because its website doesn't host binaries. Anyway, I seem to have it working.

I have encountered that bug where the game just quits when the Pandora Panic logo zooms out all of the way. No idea how to reproduce that one.

Also, when I go to the selection box and press the 's' key on the keyboard, the game quits there as well. I was guessing it was equivalent to 'Y' on the gamepad.

Frankly, even if you don't fix these issues, it won't be a problem due to the pick up and play style of the game. At any rate, it seems like a solid pre-release game.

Edit: new problem: One Button Bandit, level 18. It asked for lemons, just in case you care. Everything was fine until the last one, where I think I hit the button on time and the lemon slowed down, but it just glided past the slot. About 4 to 6 items later the thing finally stopped on a diamond and told me that I won!

Mr.Confuzed said:
I've tried running the game on Windows. It's not really easy, unless I missed something. There were half a dozen individual SDL dlls I had to find. I think sdlgfx was particularly tricky because its website doesn't host binaries. Anyway, I seem to have it working.

I have encountered that bug where the game just quits when the Pandora Panic logo zooms out all of the way. No idea how to reproduce that one.

Also, when I go to the selection box and press the 's' key on the keyboard, the game quits there as well. I was guessing it was equivalent to 'Y' on the gamepad.

Frankly, even if you don't fix these issues, it won't be a problem due to the pick up and play style of the game. At any rate, it seems like a solid pre-release game.

Edit: new problem: One Button Bandit, level 18. It asked for lemons, just in case you care. Everything was fine until the last one, where I think I hit the button on time and the lemon slowed down, but it just glided past the slot. About 4 to 6 items later the thing finally stopped on a diamond and told me that I won!
The DLLs are provided on the download page all packaged together for the W32 build... http://projectinfinity.org.uk/lib/exe/fetch.php/homebrew:engines:penjin:downloads:dll.7z

I've made a "fix" for that in the SVN... even though I've never seen the bug happen... I suspect it's a 0 scale bug?

I think one of the help screens may have caused a crash... any idea which one you pressed 'S' on?

Glad you think that!

That bug is kinda known... but nobody knows how to fix it. You have stopped on the correct shape so it correctly told you won... but sometimes the stopping code does not slow the shape down properly.

Also please excuse the layout of my response... it's kind of getting late and I couldn't be bothered to segmentially quote your post. I hope you can match things up easy enough.

I must have just overlooked that download. Totally called that.

Yeah, the help menu on Pang is causing the problem. Note: does not occur in debug version.

If I get bored enough, I might take a look at that code. I'll have to be pretty bored though.

It's not late here, so my matching skills are up to par. :)

Mr.Confuzed said:
Yeah, the help menu on Pang is causing the problem. Note: does not occur in debug version.

Sorry, I don't read all the dev threads, but what is the bug with Pang - I should be able to fix it once I know what the problem is!

Steve

Rockthesmurf said:
Sorry, I don't read all the dev threads, but what is the bug with Pang - I should be able to fix it once I know what the problem is!

Steve
I know what you mean about reading those dev threads, 66 pages later. Seriously though, it was two posts up. All I can tell you is that the release version of Pang kills Pandora Panic when you try to open the help menu from the selection screen.

Mr.Confuzed said:
Rockthesmurf said:

Steve
I know what you mean about reading those dev threads, 66 pages later. Seriously though, it was two posts up. All I can tell you is that the release version of Pang kills Pandora Panic when you try to open the help menu from the selection screen.

Don't Panic! Poke has your back. The PangPauseProblem is no longer with us in the SVN. Also fixed up some other things.
I really really really want to get an RC2 build out soon.

Hey folks!
RC2 builds now online: http://projectinfini...panic#downloads

You can see changes on the googlecode page: http://code.google.c...ic/updates/list

EDIT: And obviously I'm most interested in the experiences of those with Pandora HW.
EDIT2: Ok seems I've managed to create a bug in the typing games...
You can pause them(Yay!)
But they don't let you type (Boo!)
But I have fixed it already on my local build (Yay!)

Hey Poke, any tips on button mapping for mortals? I understand you can map a USB pad (and launch from command line I think?) but I don't know how. :unsure: I have a burning desire to play this on my USBified SNES pad.

Gruso said:
Hey Poke, any tips on button mapping for mortals? I understand you can map a USB pad (and launch from command line I think?) but I don't know how. :unsure: I have a burning desire to play this on my USBified SNES pad.
Sure... one would be to wait until I can get my lazy arse in gear to write a mapping GUI tool... erm but that's not so sensible.
So... I'll try to explain it here.
  • There are example "cmf" files in the scripts directory from the data package.
  • If you open up default.cmf you can see what the default setup is for PC... this only deals with a KEYBOARD device and a MOUSE device.
  • I have tried to outline how you map buttons here: http://projectinfinity.org.uk/doku.php/homebrew:engines:penjin:simplejoy
To actually load the keymap file:
  • create your cmf file and save it to the PP! scripts folder.
  • launch PP! from commandline so you can pass arguments (or create a .bat file in windows/launch script in linux)
    (The EXE could be called many things in your setup so I'm just going to type "PP" for the PandoraPanic! EXE. )
  • PP -C ./scripts/myCMF.cmf where PP is whatever your PP! EXE is called and myCMF is whatever your cmf file is called.
  • PandoraPanic! will start and will only listento your mapped controls. You could map the default setup too as a failsafe.
  • The device ID should always be 0 currently. I have not finished multi device support in simplejoy. But it's there for future capability.
I hope that explains it a little better. Again the page here has a list of the keywords you can use for your mappings.

Thanks for the info, just what I was after. I've had some success with it so far, but it seems Win7 and SimpleJoy don't agree on which buttons are which. I'll keep fiddling.

RC4 Builds of PP! online for Ubuntu x64 and Pandora currently!
http://projectinfinity.org.uk/doku.php?id=homebrew:games:pandorapanic#downloads

You can of course see the changes on Google Code
http://code.google.com/p/pandorapanic/updates/list

This is the final RC We are aiming for release on Tuesday!

Very nice! I tried to reproduce the sound bug in "Rotating Turret" listed on the bug tracker, but it seemed to work fine. One thing I noticed though: in the "Memory Blocks" mini game there should be a small delay after getting the last block right before the win screen. Now the player does not actually see the correct combination on the screen. Also level 16 of the candle blowing game is kinda impossible :)

In any case, congrats all around!

EDIT: removed unnecessary quote

Back