Pandora

Yeah, I think they still sell Panda Pops but I'm sure its via some loophole- you'd probably suffer discolouration if you drank more than 3 and God knows what else! Watch out kids, Coke (Barr, Schweppes and co) ain't your mate!

pnd for the arch abbrv. sounds a bit too much like pwnd for me.

pad maybe?

Where's Zodttd methinks??

danboid said:
My concerns with Pandora the name are two-fold. As someone has already mentioned, people aren't going to be able to resist the very real possibility of called the machine the 'p-box', and that stinks right?

i can see the P-box under my Wii :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have pointed out before the biggest problem with the name is that it just isn't unique enough. Try searching for it on Google and you'll have to deal with all sorts of stuff. "Pandora handheld" does come up nicely already, which is a good sign, but I don't know what people are actually going to be searching for.

danboid said:
My concerns with Pandora the name are two-fold. As someone has already mentioned, people aren't going to be able to resist the very real possibility of called the machine the 'p-box', and that stinks right?
This argument holds absolutely no water whatsoever. Has anyone ever called the PSP a P-box?

Besides, the console is called the OpenPandora, which is a lot easier to find on a search engine.

Nova said:
Besides, the console is called the OpenPandora, which is a lot easier to find on a search engine.
Are you sure? I know the website is called OP, but is the machine itself called OP?

Squidge said:
Nova said:
Are you sure? I know the website is called OP, but is the machine itself called OP?

Well, the card I got from Craig says

"Welcome to OpenPandora.

The first fully open ultra mobile gaming and internet device, with laptop functionality and mobile phone battery life."

I like the name. It's female, fits with "open", can be shortened to Pandy (for a handheld...) or Panda if you think three syllables are too much, and for coders there's always P&|A.

Of course it's not unique, but if you come up with a unique name chances are that it's either too long or just a random sequence of characters.

cowai said:
Just shorten it to panda. I'd buy one
And what exactly makes that better than Pandora? Besides two letters chopped off?

Squidge said:
PanDorA - PDA, works on more than one level then too :)
I like...
Poobik The Hare said:
i can see the P-box under my Wii :)
...I don't like. :)

whiskthecat said:
As far as originality goes, you guys do know about this right?

"Webmaster! Your Feed Digest account is inactive. Please login to re-activate this digest."
I don't think there's too much to worry about from that particular one, at least, not if you're going to get into software.

javaJake said:
"Webmaster! Your Feed Digest account is inactive. Please login to re-activate this digest."
I don't think there's too much to worry about from that particular one, at least, not if you're going to get into software.

Oops, didn't bother reading that part. Looked too much like a google ad.

danboid said:
and

my Facebook name is Hermes Mercurius Trismegistus and yes I'm a Capricorn. About a month ago my mum told me her waters broke when my mum and dad were playing Space Invaders on the 2600 we've still got. It made so much sense!

:lol:

I'm not joking though!

myspace.com/danboid

still yet to be banned! Yip!
God, I feel so old! I was born 9 years before that was even possible. The men were on the moon when my mom was delivering me.

danboid said:
Pandora?

To me, as it stands, just as when I first heard it, it's OK but I believe names are very important and we should take careful considerations when naming somebody or something important like this.

I think the name is terrible. Pandora's box let all evil into the world and so on. It makes it sound buggy and whenever someone has trouble with it... Just imagine if there are some bugs in the initial firmware how much reviewers will hound on that name!

I was looking at the other pics and have a better feel for the size of the unit, but why are the connectors in the front of the machine? Especially the USB port. When it is hooked to the computer it will be facing away from you. I noticed the power is in the front to, wont the cord bother you if you are trying to play it with the power connected? I think they aught to be moved to the side or back. Especially the power plug. I can't think of a worse place to put it. Is there something I am missing, some compelling reason to have all this in the front of the machine? It seems to have only disadvantages. And the screen resolution doesn't lend itself to well to older game systems. Now this is a pda, a game system, a computer, a media player. a book reader... Jack of all trades... I hope it does well, but I hope our community still supports the gp2x.

Chris

Move the connectors to the sides?
Where do you plan to put your hands? Really, it's front or back.
As it is a clamshell you have to agree that the headphonejack has to be on the front because the cable would have to go around the device if it would be on the back which certainly would be enervating.
What are the disadvantages of a powerplug in the front? I don't see real advanteges aswell.
The screen resolution is fine for emulating old systems, just leave 80pixels on the left and the right blank and you have got 640*480, perfect 4:3 resolution and enough resolution to watch NTSC-video material fullsize (no PAL though).

My guesses are: It will be an excellent gaming machine, an excellent media player, a mediorce e-book reader (absolutely inferior to e-ink), and a mediocre pc/pda for quite some time, polishing in this area will take time I'm sure.

Just wait and see what happens, until now we just look at a few mockups, no final design, no software etc.

Nova said:
danboid said:
This argument holds absolutely no water whatsoever. Has anyone ever called the PSP a P-box?

I'd like to point out that this machine is called pandora and there is a whole thread on these boards where people are making jokes about Pandora's BOX - its a very famous story. Pandora's BOX = P-BOX. See? I don't remember any famous stories about a PSP box either.

Also, any machine that runs Linux is often referred to as a 'box', even if it isn't cube shaped.

p-box is an inevitable nickname for a Linux machine called Pandora, sorry.

Balzac:

I must disagree. On release I would imagine Pandora will make an excellent pocket-laptop /PDA. I KNOW because it will be running the same software, basically, that I run on my Zaurus now and I can do pretty much anything you could possibly want to do on a PDA/laptop. Of course, you'd never want to do any serious graphical work/ 3D or video on a PDA device but its not designed for that, you really need a full laptop or PC for such tasks.

If anyone has any questions about "What Linux software is there that I'll be able to run on Pandora to do x" - fire away!

People who end up buying Pandora expecting PSP-like games probably will be disappointed at first, but retro-gamers will be in heaven playing PSX games and some of the more demanding MAME games should be playable too.

Back