Bluetooth tethering using a phone

Blue Ion

I’ve been trying to get Bluetooth tethering to work with my Sony Ericsson Z750i to the Pandora. I can make the PANU profile on Network manager but pressing it does nothing.

Just to broaden the search the phone is a A2 os (unlocked and with a generic firmware) so phones like the K850, W595, W910 will probably work the same.

I’ve tried several things

Invoking network manager through the cli gives me this message:

Code:
ion-openpandora:~$ nmcli con up uuid xxx

Active connection state: activating

Active connection path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/4

** (process:3420): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'State' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/4: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

state: unknown

Error: Connection activation failed.

also trying to use "pand -n --connect PHONEMAC" gives me connection refused (111).

The message of pand takes a little while if it wasn’t previously connected, but if it was connected, the message is instant.

The Pandora works because I’ve connected an HTC Touch with Windows Mobile 6.1 (mostly the same OS as ED in his video) and after selecting internet sharing it would connect flawlessly, at least the Pandora with the phone, internet was extremely slow, it is only gprs after all.

The Z750 also works because I’ve tried to connect to it using a Windows 7 box with the Toshiba Bluetooth stack and after selecting PAN Network Access Point it would connect and work much better than the HTC (which incidentally calls the connection just "Network Access Point" without the PAN).

The only thing odd about the connection is that the computer ip is the gateway ip something like 33.170.xxx.xxx instead of the usual internal IP of the WM61 uses of 192.168.0.225

The phone also has a profile called PAN user but I guess it if for PAN networks when joining and refuses the connection if I try to use it.

So any help or experience will be greatly appreciated.

So...

Either no-one knows, the people that knows haven't seen this thread, or worse, the people that know have seen this thread and don't know anything else to try.

I will hope for the second case and bump this thread appropriately.

Since this doesn't have a good outlook, I'm looking at using Dial Up Networking but I'm less sure on how to set this up, specially since I'm on a MVNO and a specially obscure one at that.

I'm using Hotfix 7 beta 3 if that helps with things like modem manager.

I still prefer the PAN solution though...

Back