Ops = Open Pandora Store And...

Is OPS a good idea or bad idea?

• Good idea - lets be done with it.

Votes: 49 65.3%
  • Bad idea - you're a nutter

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • I don't have an opinion, but I like answering polls.

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

God Ginrai said:
Hope's not a bad idea, but why do we need a new domain? Why not use a subdomain instead, like so: hope.openpandora.org

-God Ginrai

It doesn't; HOPE could just be used for the categories.

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
It's well intentioned, but if you want to go with something from Mythology, I would suggest sticking to Greek Mythology, since Pandora is from Greek Mythology. Roman Mythology was purely political, anyways.

EDIT: What about "Stoa"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoa

-God Ginrai
Stoa has nice (if a bit silly) linguistic synergy in English, however I must admit I'd never heard of the term before. Ops being Latin instead of Greek is a little disappointing, but I still think it sounds and means well. The abbreviation could also be more generalized if you wanted to keep it free of Pandorian branding:

Open / ?
Pandora / Platform / ?
Store / Shop / ?

Open Platform Store sounds good to me, particularly if you wanted to expand it towards other open platforms. Bazaar or Market are good words too, but mess up the pronounceability. Programmer's Market - like a farmer's market? Just brainstorming! Have to do something to keep me busy until the last couple units from the first batch ship. ;)

Personally I feel it's more appropriate to promote the openness aspect rather than an implied commercial approach.
Slightly off topic: My main interest is homebrew with possible donations rather than fixed cost approach.
Having said all that gumph, I cannot suggest a suitable abbreviation. Only silly ones, perhaps for a separate topic tho.

WhiteFalcon said:
Or make it OOPS! (The Original Open Pandora Store) to make it future proof and more symbolic ;)
Sounds too negative for me. Why it's future proof?

Screeny said:
WhiteFalcon said:
Or make it OOPS! (The Original Open Pandora Store) to make it future proof and more symbolic ;)
Sounds too negative for me. Why it's future proof?

In case someone else decides to create another OPS.. just a joke. Actually it sounds a bit negative, my intention was only to make some abbreviation that formed a word :)

I think a subdomain isn't the right way because the OP-Servers are very busy after the pandora landed.
The word "store" can also be used as "datastorage" or as a verb. So there is no problem between non-commercial-games and the openpandoraStore!
OPS sounds a bit like UPS and that is great because you can speak it very fast (like: you pee ass...ehm.. UPS) and it's a noticeable Abbreviation :)

Screeny said:
I think a subdomain isn't the right way because the OP-Servers are very busy after the pandora landed.
Subdomains can be stored on different physical servers. They can have entirely different IP addresses, even, and in completely different parts of the world.

WizardStan said:
Screeny said:
Subdomains can be stored on different physical servers. They can have entirely different IP addresses, even, and in completely different parts of the world.
Oh... good to know :p
Thanks ;)

Craig's Apps Store = CRAPPS

Craig and Ed's Incredible Software = CREDIBLES

Pandora's Official Open PND Station = POOPS

Homemade Applications and Recompiled Data, Online Now! = HARD ON

Sorry that was just for laughs...

I mean you can basically make anything into anything. I am curious what the final name will be, but I will likely never use it in conversation. I will just say "I downloaded the program" or "I installed this".

I never say, "I installed this from Download.com" or "I watched this movie on VLC". So really I don't know what the big deal is with what the name is. It may be clever, it may be generic, as long as it works. You know?

Yep, but you have to think about new users:
You can told them: Download it on www.openpandorastore.com and that's all.

It isn't important to speak about the name... but it have to look nice if you write it down.
What looks better?

Download this file on http://hope.openpandora.org/
or
Download this file on openpandorastore.com
or maybe
Download this file on OPS!

But if you want to speak about the source of downloading new files it seems to be better if there is a name with a good emphasis.
Download this file NOW on OPENPANDORASTORE DOT COM :p

If somebody want to help setting up a OPS (OpenPandoraStore) system at http://www.openpandorastore.com: Feel free to contact me!
Maybe an Appstore, fanshop or something like that? I don't know.
:)

I think you'll find App Shack is the prefered name for the store (baring the box names that craig already dismissed) or are you going to ignore all the previous ideas. :lol:

Nope, I'm not ignoring the other ideas... but somebody has to start it otherwise nothing will happen ;)
If there is in future a other site for stuff like that available I will redirect my domain to this page, don't worry :p

I do hate the term "app" it reminds me of all the shitty iPhone apps and how useless most of them are. We don't have "apps" we have programs, games, etc. Hopefully no one will put a "fart button" app on the store...

The world had applications long before Apple came along. This too was discussed to death in earlier topics btw :)

IMHO App should definitely be in the name somewhere, if only to generate discussion and therefore free press for the Pandora.

Back