Pandora

danboid

Pandora?

To me, as it stands, just as when I first heard it, it's OK but I believe names are very important and we should take careful considerations when naming somebody or something important like this.

What I like about Pandora is that its a girls name ending with an 'A'. I like the idea of it being a girl as it strengthens this communities general sense of spiritual kinship to our beloved Amiga, which also had a girly name (its girlfriend in Spanish y'see), but maybe we could give it a better girls name?

My concerns with Pandora the name are two-fold. As someone has already mentioned, people aren't going to be able to resist the very real possibility of called the machine the 'p-box', and that stinks right?

Secondly, it begins with the word 'Pan'. Pan can mean all but we also have Pan the pagan horned-beast fertility god, normally pictured with a stiffy. Most people would mistake depictions of pan, Hermes' son, for satan. He is also associated with capricorn and hence death. Nice!

I'd also like to say how exciting it is getting to give input into the creation of such an amazing device- can't wait to get mine, whatever its called!

There's a thread for this already.

But yeah, the top selling video game system is called Wii. I don't think names really matter that much. lol

Funny how you react to one syllable when the actual meaning of the name is "the girl that stupidly freed all evils upon the world for simply being too curious" ... I mean, all the evil in the world is probably worst than a satyr with a boner no? ;]

Ooor... you could say that the syllable Pan reminds you of the flut of pan, and of zamfir... and that zamfir is boring! lolz

No offense but you sound a bit like a superstitious "lunatic" =P

Personally, I like the name Pandora because of the whole idea of the box with the endless possibilities, only that instead of unleashing all the evils upon the world, this one unleashes the power of awesome. ^_^

Just like the design, the name has grown on me.

I couldn't think of anything better, and I like the slight kinship to Amiga
Also it's chips were given female names- (not to assume that I taught most of you guys something there but it's sure to be news to some)
The most fun computer I ever used and I had ST as well btw

Yrx has a good point in that, despite it's silly name (much worse than pandora) Wii has been a storming success but then again it IS Nintendo..

Of course I've read the other thread on discussing the name but it was basically endless re-hashing of the 'Pandora's Box' theme. I thought I had a couple of unique points and I also wanted to highlight the p-box bit and I thought "Pandoras Box" was too obvious to mention again even for xcen!

It's important that people point out stuff like Pan the pagan God, as not everyone is privy to such knowledge. Pan, Dora or Pandora might mean something in another language of which I'm unfamiliar so we should do the honest thing and let them know about it now.

oh yes you got a point =)

I remember a car named Nova that didn't do very well in mexico (no va, doesn't go... o_O)

Also a car in quebec that would've been called LaCrosse (on top of being a sport, here it also means swindle or fraud... or a rude terme for male masturbation lol)

xcen said:
oh yes you got a point =)

I remember a car named Nova that didn't do very well in mexico (no va, doesn't go... o_O)

Also a car in quebec that would've been called LaCrosse (on top of being a sport, here it also means swindle or fraud... or a rude terme for male masturbation lol)
Haha! :lol:

How strange that you should pick Nova, which should also just happen to be the chosen nick of the guy who started the thread questioning Pandora's design??

Spooktastic stuff indeed! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora's a pretty obvious reference, though. I'm pretty sure she would have the same name in most languages.

because we've got to remember that, just like we'd say x86, PPC, DC, PS2 etc this platform will be known as PAN

xcen said:
In french she's pandore...
That's a one letter difference. :lol:

Not too bad, considering the vast inferiorities of the language. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
and

my Facebook name is Hermes Mercurius Trismegistus and yes I'm a Capricorn. About a month ago my mum told me her waters broke when my mum and dad were playing Space Invaders on the 2600 we've still got. It made so much sense!

:lol:

I'm not joking though!

myspace.com/danboid

still yet to be banned! Yip!

You could just abbreviate to PND instead of PAN, sounds less cheesy :)

Back